Old 21-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Davo3960

Mounting a camera onto scope/mount.

Just wondering how everyone mounts their camera to the mount/scope for tracking long exposures. And how do you level it with the horizon? I want to avoid photos like the one attached. At present I use the threaded hole on the top of the scope ring to attach the camera, but this leaves no way of rotating the camera to be level with the horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4376a (Large).jpg)
107.3 KB43 views
Old 22-10-2007, 02:50 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Dave
You need to get something like a ball joint tripod head, that lets you rotate the camera even after your mount has done it's dance.

I've got a manfrotto one, they're great. The only problem is the bottom thread is like 1/2" instead of the standard 1/4". (bottom of the tripod head, obviously the thread/screw into the camera base is still 1/4").
Old 22-10-2007, 04:08 AM
gbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Dave
You need to get something like a ball joint tripod head, that lets you rotate the camera even after your mount has done it's dance.

I've got a manfrotto one, they're great. The only problem is the bottom thread is like 1/2" instead of the standard 1/4". (bottom of the tripod head, obviously the thread/screw into the camera base is still 1/4").
Mike, without hijacking this thread, your head likely has an older 3/8" thread. This was common in times gone by, especially with the bigger heads (my Benbo ones have it as well).
You can get (although I don't know where now) a simple screw in ring that fits the 3/8" and then has a 1/4"x20 inside, to fit to some on the newer tripods. Maybe an older camera store, or older ex-photographer will have one.
Old 22-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Davo3960

You mean something like this -

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2315?livid=80|81&lsf=81&child=2

And attach it to the scope ring? somehow?
Old 23-10-2007, 09:23 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ditto to what Mike said.

I have this one
http://shop.centre.net.au/index.html...ct&prid=001117 which has both types of thread (an insert for the 1/4" )but you could make your choice from any of these on these pages.

Manfrotto Heads (4 pages) but the ball one I find is very easy to use.
Old 23-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

My Nikkor 300ED has it's own ring mount that rotates and has detents every 90 degrees. It can rest between these of course, giving a full 360 degree-worth of positions to choose from. The camera hangs off the lens and is easy to swivel into position when needed.