Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 25-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
Was that "The 11th hour" Peter?
Indeed. A perspective on it linked below.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...time-bbc-slot/

Australia, while not a big emitter, is one of the biggest coal exporters in the world. Rather like vegetarians running an abattoir. The coal industry lobbly has most federal and state pollies in their back pockets via funding that miserable lot to the tune of $ millions.

People power does not really exist in Oz. The fact that whistle blowers and the press are now facing incarceration for exposing reprehensible government behaviour is appalling.

Anyway, I digress, while I can't change government policy, for the sake of my children and grandchildren, I can reduce my carbon dioxide footprint.

In doing so my power bills are now almost nil, and soon, so will be the cost of getting from A to B.
Old 25-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Lucinda (Lucinda)

fwiw)

Found this on ABC iview:

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/climat.../ZW2018A001S00
Old 26-08-2019, 09:51 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Indeed. A perspective on it linked below.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...time-bbc-slot/

Australia, while not a big emitter, is one of the biggest coal exporters in the world. Rather like vegetarians running an abattoir. The coal industry lobbly has most federal and state pollies in their back pockets via funding that miserable lot to the tune of $ millions.

People power does not really exist in Oz. The fact that whistle blowers and the press are now facing incarceration for exposing reprehensible government behaviour is appalling.

Anyway, I digress, while I can't change government policy, for the sake of my children and grandchildren, I can reduce my carbon dioxide footprint.

In doing so my power bills are now almost nil, and soon, so will be the cost of getting from A to B.
I think we will profit from coal for a while yet given the number of new coal power stations being built around the world and then we can profit (hopefully) from selling uranium.
The government always knows better than the common folk and we can trust them to do the right thing but hopefully the concept of trickle down economics actually works.
Peter it is good that you are concerned and do what you can personally and I salute you.
Alex
Old 26-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The government always knows better than the common folk and we can trust them to do the right thing...........
Alex
I'm thinking: surely your comment is very tongue-in-cheek Alex?

(Almost every Politician I have spoken with over the years has left me nonplussed. "Yes Minister" was actually a documentary )

None the less...getting back to the post "will an EV be in your future"

Seeing as EVERY major car maker in Europe is migrating to EV's and countries like Norway will ban ICE powered cars by 2025, plus the Australian car industry is non-existent, the simple answer is, you'll be struggling to buy something with an internal combustion engine by then.

The matter will be decided far beyond kindergarten Australia's shores.
Old 26-08-2019, 12:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I'm thinking: surely your comment is very tongue-in-cheek Alex?

(Almost every Politician I have spoken with over the years has left me nonplussed. "Yes Minister" was actually a documentary )

None the less...getting back to the post "will an EV be in your future"

Seeing as EVERY major car maker in Europe is migrating to EV's and countries like Norway will ban ICE powered cars by 2025, plus the Australian car industry is non-existent, the simple answer is, you'll be struggling to buy something with an internal combustion engine by then.

The matter will be decided far beyond kindergarten Australia's shores.
Perhaps tounge in cheek for those who know the truth but for the masses I mean everything I say.

Our world may been seen to be run by lobbists but I like to think they too are just concerned citizens trying to promote new ideas that will benefit every one.
I often wonder how many lobby folk...that is the number that controls our future.

I like the idea of more electric things, certainly I like the idea of electric cars, I don't like the idea that uranium will be the beneficiary of the move against coal and hopefully it's invasion of the energy market will be halted by more solar power, even wind power I guess and perhaps hydro power, although it seems out of favour...perhaps because of the Snowy thing..folk blame hydro electricity for diverting the Snowy but I think it was agriculture that perhaps was to blame.

And why we can't have all those in our prisons on treadmills that provide energy may be a decent situation but heck all that manpower and the need for exercise when confined in a small space suggests it would be good for everyone.

And of course the future has probably already been drawn up by those who attend to that sort of thing ...

Those who we don't know about and really are not there will decide...the drama with coal should continue at least until it has all been used up as will it go for uranium and in time "they" will have a new energy product to keep us consuming and above all contributing.

Alex
Old 26-08-2019, 12:42 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Our world may been seen to be run by lobbists but I like to think they too are just concerned citizens trying to promote new ideas that will benefit every one.
It IS run by the major global corporations, via their corporate lobbyists, as they are the ones who get their corporations requirements to the relevant politicians.

Quote:
I often wonder how many lobby folk...that is the number that controls our future.
Far too many, since the exit from political careers is routinely the revolving door entry into employment as a corporate lobbyist for corporations in the very same area as they were a Government Minister for.

Quote:
I like the idea of more electric things, certainly I like the idea of electric cars
While I do like the idea of electric cars, other types of electric vehicles being made legal to use in Australia would also be a Good Thing.
As an example: in the area of electric bicycles, we can only legally import and use European pedelec standards compliant ones. Japanese ebikes are illegal in Australia, as they have not been crippled to meet the European standard.

Quote:
and in time "they" will have a new energy product to keep us consuming and above all contributing.
Correction, Alex. You have 'consuming' and 'contributing' in the wrong order, and left out details.
It should read: and in time "they" will have a new, more expensive, energy product to keep us contributing to their higher profits, and above all else, consuming.
Old 26-08-2019, 12:50 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Just like steam trains, and "current" vintage cars etc, transport appliances of yesteryear will continue to provide enjoyment to enthusiasts.
Just as today we have steam engine enthusiasts and war bird enthusiasts, perhaps in 20 years time there will be vintage hybrid car enthusiasts, who collect and restore early 20th century Priuses (Prii?) for their "olde worlde" antique charm? ("My boy - when I was a child, my parents really did drive around in cars that had both an internal combustion engine, and batteries and electric motors. Aaahh - those were the days!")

Naaahhh - maybe not!
Old 26-08-2019, 12:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
It IS run by the major global corporations, via their corporate lobbyists, as they are the ones who get their corporations requirements to the relevant politicians.

Far too many, since the exit from political careers is routinely the revolving door entry into employment as a corporate lobbyist for corporations in the very same area as they were a Government Minister for.

While I do like the idea of electric cars, other types of electric vehicles being made legal to use in Australia would also be a Good Thing.
As an example: in the area of electric bicycles, we can only legally import and use European pedelec standards compliant ones. Japanese ebikes are illegal in Australia, as they have not been crippled to meet the European standard.

Correction, Alex. You have 'consuming' and 'contributing' in the wrong order, and left out details.
It should read: and in time "they" will have a new, more expensive, energy product to keep us contributing to their higher profits, and above all else, consuming.
It is a funny world...if you can bring yourself to laugh.
Thank you for your wise input ... Now just don't tell me there is no Santa Clause...or no ...
Alex
Old 26-08-2019, 01:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

For commuting why could we not have really small cars...like those little little three wheel things..less energy, less in running costs and park two in place of one...look at the cars..big car one driver..does not make sense really...heck if cars were only as big as they need be they could run on 500cc..fact.
Alex
Old 26-08-2019, 01:04 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
perhaps in 20 years time there will be vintage hybrid car enthusiasts
20 years time for that, doubtful, I think 20 years would be too soon. My guess would be 40 or so years.

Quote:
who collect and restore early 20th century Priuses (Prii?) for their "olde worlde" antique charm?
Official by Toyota, the plural is Prii
Wikipedia - Toyota Prius - Etymology

Quote:
("My boy - when I was a child, my parents really did drive around in cars that had both an internal combustion engine, and batteries and electric motors. Aaahh - those were the days!")
Yes, I can all too easily see such a scene being played out in the 2070s.
Old 26-08-2019, 07:55 PM
DarkArts

Somewhere in the future, and old timer and an even older timer are carrying on about cars (with apologies to Monty Python) ...

"When I were a lad, we had to plug 't' car in to 't' wall to re-charge it. None of this wireless, charge-as-you drive. And we had to start 't' car with a button. A button!"

"That's luxury! When I were a lad, we had to pull into 't' petrol station and plug 't' car into 't' pump to fill up. And we had to start 't' car with a key. A key!"

"What's petrol?"
Old 26-08-2019, 10:35 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
For commuting why could we not have really small cars...like those little little three wheel things..less energy, less in running costs and park two in place of one...look at the cars..big car one driver..does not make sense really...heck if cars were only as big as they need be they could run on 500cc..fact.
Alex
Hard to see how they could achieve NCAP 5 in those things. There are millions of them in India and other countries. Can you just imagine the death toll when they mix with the demolition derby that is the Sydney M4.
Sydney City Council is still resisting the electric scooter hire businesses, arguing that Sydney is not designed for them, but apparently Brisbane and Adelaide are. No mention of electric bikes however. As an ebike owner I refuse to ride on the main roads in my area, there are plenty of shared bikeway/walking paths, and quiet residential streets, that get me to the shops and back, or along the lake foreshore cycleway.
Having been given several broken ribs and a collar bone by a Mini which hit my Honda 500 when i was a young man, I have an appreciation for protection and isolation from heavy vehicles; if it had been something bigger than a Mini I might not be around now.
Alex there are already electric cargo bikes, trikes, that you can buy but family transport, I hope not.
Old 27-08-2019, 07:59 AM
dikman (Richard)

Quote:
For commuting why could we not have really small cars...like those little little three wheel things..
Alex

I assume you are referring to the Robin Reliant, as seen in Mr. Bean.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
I was thinking of that thing named after a ww2 German fighter plane??..Glen observation is valid but why not limit peak hour to only little cars and scooters... trucks should come and gobefore5 am...
Alex
Old 27-08-2019, 08:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I find peak hour very amusing. I look at the cars around me, many large and expensive but we all sit stationary together.
Mind you I avoid getting involved but these days peak hour seems to run all day.
Alex
Old 27-08-2019, 08:30 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Or "Top Gear":
https://youtu.be/QQh56geU0X8

(This was always one of my favourite Jeremy Clarkson segments!)
Old 27-08-2019, 09:46 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
I was thinking of that thing named after a ww2 German fighter plane??..Glen observation is valid but why not limit peak hour to only little cars and scooters... trucks should come and gobefore5 am...
Alex, what you're thinking of is the 1955 - 1964 Messerschmitt Kabinenroller KR200 bubble car.
Wikipedia on the KR200
I doubt an EV update of it would meet the ADRs for safety. And with how braindead the behaviours of drivers seem with buses and semi trailers, you'd likely be seeing regular news reports of such drivers being squished flat. And with its tiny luggage storage capacity, I doubt it'd even be of use for grocery shopping.

edit: fix missing

Last edited by JeniSkunk; 27-08-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fix missing
Old 27-08-2019, 10:12 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Hard to see how they could achieve NCAP 5 in those things. There are millions of them in India and other countries. Can you just imagine the death toll when they mix with the demolition derby that is the Sydney M4.
And that would be a BadThing? How?

Quote:
Sydney City Council is still resisting the electric scooter hire businesses, arguing that Sydney is not designed for them, but apparently Brisbane and Adelaide are. No mention of electric bikes however. As an ebike owner I refuse to ride on the main roads in my area, there are plenty of shared bikeway/walking paths, and quiet residential streets, that get me to the shops and back, or along the lake foreshore cycleway.
Sydney City Council are doing the CorrectThing. Those things are a menace to pedestrians. Unfortunately the Brisbane City Council were not able to mount a successful legal challenge to keep them out.
You're lucky that you have such a viable cycleway path route to get to your local shopping centre. Brisbane, to the best of my knowledge has nothing like that.

Quote:
Having been given several broken ribs and a collar bone by a Mini which hit my Honda 500 when i was a young man, I have an appreciation for protection and isolation from heavy vehicles; if it had been something bigger than a Mini I might not be around now.
Alex there are already electric cargo bikes, trikes, that you can buy but family transport, I hope not.
A pedelec transport trike would not be worth spit. Since it can't be run solely on electric, due to pedelec regs, so using it as electric only to transport a decent load of groceries, can't be done.
As for Japanese mamachari, those would be a fatal disaster in Australia due to attitude of drivers in their aggression against on cyclists.
To get an idea of what a mamachari is, Bridgestone Bicycles Japan Bikke site
Another page talking about Japanese Mamachari
Old 27-08-2019, 04:41 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
You're lucky that you have such a viable cycleway path route to get to your local shopping centre. Brisbane, to the best of my knowledge has nothing like that.
There are a few good bike paths and routes around Brisbane actually. I could get to several shopping centres with minimal road use, and a lot of those roads with at least bike lanes.

Depends on where you live, of course.
Old 27-08-2019, 07:43 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
There are a few good bike paths and routes around Brisbane actually. I could get to several shopping centres with minimal road use, and a lot of those roads with at least bike lanes.

Depends on where you live, of course.
Where I am in Nundah, there are no accessible bike paths or any bike lanes, let alone bike paths going to useful destinations. You have to get to Toombul to access the few bike paths going away from Toombul to other parkland areas.

It's that lack of safe cycling access to shopping, that makes using an ebike difficult for grocery shopping. Short haul runs like that seem the sort of thing that are perfectly suited for EV cars.