Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 19-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Some galaxy groups in Virgo, some things in Norma

Dear all,

Here are some notes of observations last week. Some unexpected gaps in the clouds!

I've included some of the classifications listed in the Night Sky Observer's Guide. I don't normally do this, but have found it a good way to get my head around the classification systems. So its Vorontsov-Velyaminov for PNs, Trumpler of OCs and de Vaucouleurs Revised for galaxies.

Thanks for looking.

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Guiding: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG)

Seeing good 2/5
Transparency 6/7 and improving

NGC 5363 & 5364 GX in Virgo
5363 mag 10.1v SB 12.9 type I0 (?)
5364 mag 10.5 v SB 14.2 Type SA(rs)

135X With the 37’ FOV at this mag, quite a lot is visible in this field. 5363 to the northeast, 6364 to the south, about 20’ away, with NGC 5373 to the west of 5364. To the east of 5363 is a foreground star and to the east of it is NGC 5373. 175X 5363 quite a bright core surrounded by circular halo. No detail observable. It is listed as irregular by NSOG, but elsewhere as lenticluar, which seems a closer fit with how it looks. 5373 has a distinct core but is otherwise fairly faint. 5364 is larger than 5363 and somewhat fainter. Some brightening at the core and some dark spaces in the halo which could define spiral arms. No bar visible. 5360 is an oval shaped haze about half the size of 5364 and much fainter. Some central brightening.

A number of galaxies lie to the west of NGC 5363, the brightest of which is an edge-on spiral 25’ from 5363 and running roughly north-south.

NGC 5566 GX in Virgo
Mag 10.6v SB13.1 SAB(r)ab

175X Bright galaxy with small slightly oval shaped nucleus in a larger oval haze roughly north-south. To the west is another edge-on spiral, significantly fainter (NGC 5560). To the north of 5566 is NGC 5569, a faint patch of haze with suggestion of stellar core. Not much detail in any, but quite an attractive grouping.

NGC 5574/76/77 GX in Virgo
5574 mag 12.4v SB 12.1 type SB0
5576 mag 11.0v SB 13.0 type E3
5577 mag 12.2v SB 13.0 type SBA (rs)bc

135X NGC 5576 is the brightest of this little galaxy group with a foreground star on the edge of the oval shaped halo, which surrounds a bright core. About 5’ to the west is a smaller version of 5576 – NGC 5574. This also has a small bright core within a broad oval haze. About half the size and significantly fainter than 5576. To the ENE is NGC 5577 which is a faint, slender edge-on spiral oriented roughly E-W and about 4’ long. 175X 5574 appears more elongated than 5576. 5577 looks a little more grainy at this power.

NGC 6067 OC in Norma
Mag 5.6v Trumpler type I 3 r

80X Fine looking open cluster, somewhat longer N-S than E-W, with a spattering of many white and blue stars and many close pairs. A tight group of three stars in the centre catches my eye. To the south of this is a pair with one of the more orange bright stars of this cluster. More detailed inspection reveals a few faint carbon stars.

As I head to my eyepiece case, the sky suddenly becomes completely opaque, as is the custom in Central Victoria this winter.

14/6/2010

Seeing excellent 1/5
Transparency excellent 7/7

NGC 6167 OC in Norma
Mag 6.7v Trumpler type III 3 m

135X I am struck by an “h” shape asterism in the centre of the cluster. Most stars look similar blue-white colour, but the lucida is someewhat more yellow.

NGC 6134 OC in Norma.
Mag 7.2v Trumpler type III 3 m

135X Seems about the same size and brightness as 6167, but with less of a stand-out lucida. I note a gap amongst the stars, an east-west lens shape atop a N-S column, looking something like a mushroom. To the west of 6134 is a les well defined cluster, Hogg 19.

Hogg 19 OC in Norma
Trumpler type IV 2 p

135X Much less distinct against the background stars and less bright, but still quite obvious as a cluster.

Shapley 1 G329.0+1.9 PN in Norma
Mag 12.6v Type IV

250X Not a bright planetary, but quite distinct and looks quite large – larger than the 72” listed in NSOG. A distinct ring enclosing a dark disc and central star. OIII shows the clear ring, somewhat thicker on the western edge. 350X Stands up quite well to this magnification, but too faint with OIII filter. 500X the nebula stays quite clear and quite large.

I am so excited by the good seeing that I have a look at M104 at 350 and 500X – Stunning – just like the pictures, with clear dust lane, nucleus and halo. At this mag, the antennae galaxies seem huge with clear dark patch in the spangles of brightness are quite apparent especially along the southern edge of the thinner of the two arms.

NGC 5927 GC in Lupus
M8.0v Class 8
175X Some central concentration, bright with resolvable stars mainly at the periphery, but also at the centre. Looks more concentrated towards the southern edge. To the north is a more diffuse faint point. The whole GC appears somewhat cone shaped with the diffuse apex to the north, but the bulk of the brightness to the south. 250X resolves more stars, and increases impression of core. The cone shpe is less obvious.

NGC 5946 GC in Norma
Mag 8.4v Class 9
175X A much more modest GC in size and brightness with overlying star. No resolvable stars, but a grainy texture is apparent with a distinct core.

A shame to have to get up for work the next day.
Old 19-06-2010, 07:57 PM
pgc hunter

Nice haul considering the stupid unwanted cloud.

Quote:
As I head to my eyepiece case, the sky suddenly becomes completely opaque, as is the custom in Central Victoria this winter.
lol it wouldn't be Victoria / Melbourne without permanent winter cloud cover.

NGC 5566 is a lovely group, the largest member is very bright, the edge on spiral to the west takes a bit more effort but is a nice needle-like filament of light with a slightly brighter/bulging core. I failed to see 5569 from my place.

500x on the Sombrero..that is something I will now try...next year as it will have long gone by the next clear Cloudtorian night.
Old 20-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
Nice haul considering the stupid unwanted cloud.
It was a bit of a surprise given recent conditions. I think we who are north of the divide are getting a taste of conditions usually reserved for those further south.
Old 21-06-2010, 12:02 AM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
It was a bit of a surprise given recent conditions. I think we who are north of the divide are getting a taste of conditions usually reserved for those further south.
Looks like even sunny Mildura is suffering, with only 5.4 hours of average sun this month. This June is exceptionally cloudy throughout Vic, regardless if you're north or south of the cloud-line. Obviously the ever increasing cloud every year and stupidly cold weather is due to global warming, isn't it Krudd and Al Whore?

Forecast is SUNNY for tomorrow, almost had a heart attack when I saw it, time to whip out the cob-web duster me thinks If it does eventuate, I'm gonna try for Pease 1. Something I wanted to do for ages now.