Old 15-01-2019, 11:25 AM
GAL1LEO

Stellarium

Hi All,
Is there any benefit to using Stellarium to control a go-to mount over the inbuilt software of the mount for just visual observing?
Cheers
Old 15-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Stellarium offers you the view of the entire night sky and you can simply point and click to send your scope to the desired location. I find this useful because I only have a limited view of the sky from where I typically observe, so I can choose targets which are visible in that patch. For astrophotography it's also quite useful as it can show you how you're tracking and other useful info. Having said all that, when I'm out doing visual I find it easiest just to use the scope's Go To remote as it requires the least amount of setting up and fiddling around with cables, laptop, table, software, etc.
Old 15-01-2019, 11:51 AM
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post
Stellarium offers you the view of the entire night sky and you can simply point and click to send your scope to the desired location. I find this useful because I only have a limited view of the sky from where I typically observe, so I can choose targets which are visible in that patch. For astrophotography it's also quite useful as it can show you how you're tracking and other useful info. Having said all that, when I'm out doing visual I find it easiest just to use the scope's Go To remote as it requires the least amount of setting up and fiddling around with cables, laptop, table, software, etc.
Thanks, I use Stellarium on my devices and desktop to look and plan etc.
Just wasn't sure whether getting all the cables and setting up each time was worth it.
Old 15-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

If you have a Skywatcher or Orion Mount ( Synta ) it’s worth your while controlling the mount with EQMOD and Stellarium
You will need “Stellarium Scope” software ( free ) which acts as your control platform for Stellarium
I use this system of goto mount control and tracking for both AP and visual
It’s extremely accurate once set up and running
I can send you some set up procedure info if your interested
System only works on Synta mounts as mentioned above
Cheers
Old 15-01-2019, 01:05 PM
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
If you have a Skywatcher or Orion Mount ( Synta ) it’s worth your while controlling the mount with EQMOD and Stellarium
You will need “Stellarium Scope” software ( free ) which acts as your control platform for Stellarium
I use this system of goto mount control and tracking for both AP and visual
It’s extremely accurate once set up and running
I can send you some set up procedure info if your interested
System only works on Synta mounts as mentioned above
Cheers
Thanks Martin. Mine is Celestron
Old 15-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL1LEO View Post
Thanks, I use Stellarium on my devices and desktop to look and plan etc.
Just wasn't sure whether getting all the cables and setting up each time was worth it.

In my opinion, probably not, but I'm sure there will be other opinions. It is pretty cool being able to remotely control your scope with just a laptop (and if you have 2 laptops and it's really cold outside, you can go a step further by controlling everything from the comfort of your warm home using TeamViewer which is free).

However sometimes I'm not in the mood for too much fiddling around and just want to go outside and start observing, so that's when the Go To remote fits the purpose perfectly.
Old 15-01-2019, 07:49 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL1LEO View Post
Mine is Celestron
Should be no problems then.
Synta owns Celestron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestron
Old 15-01-2019, 09:38 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I use both stellarium and CDC to control Celestron mounts. Works fine. I connect three ways
- a cable from the handcontroller to an rs232-usb adaptor to computer.
- a cable from e handcontroller to an rs232-bluetooth.
- and more invasive. I soldered a Bluetooth module inside the handcontroller. Then no external working - can use handcontroller or run via Bluetooth
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...bluetooth-mod/
Old 15-01-2019, 09:57 PM
GAL1LEO

Thankyou for the replies.
I might connect up and have a play.

Not sure i am keen for the soldered mod though lol
Old 16-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

I tried Stellarium but wouldn't save my location or have the proper time, I found it hard to sync to stars, now I use Carte De Ciel (CDC) it's not as flash as Stellarium but gives me a lot of control over my scope.
I'm happy with how it works.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:05 PM
silv (Annette)

Wifi control via Smartphone app would also be an option instead of cables and laptop. If you're not into astrophotography but only do visual then not having to use a laptop in the dew outside could be more convenient?

Those apps act like a bridge in the background between a planetarium app and a Wifi-extension on the mount.
Wifi-extension also work with laptops, of course.

Not sure which but there is an app or maybe more than one that reacts on tilting your smartphone. The direction you tilt, the direction the mount moves.
So you not only have buttons on the screen which can be a pain I understand bc you can hardly control them in the blind but have to look at the screen each time you want to manually move the mount.

Maybe a Wifi adapter can be added to your mount, as well?