Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-10-2017, 02:54 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

In reflection on my movie experience with this film I would be remiss if I did not remark on the audience in attendance.

I was struck by the gender and age of those watching in the theater. 90% male and nearly all in the 40-60 age range. I have not seen so many beer bellies and goatees in one place (beyond exotic dance halls or astronomy forums) in a long long time.
Old 14-10-2017, 03:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
In reflection on my movie experience with this film I would be remiss if I did not remark on the audience in attendance.

I was struck by the gender and age of those watching in the theater. 90% male and nearly all in the 40-60 age range. I have not seen so many beer bellies and goatees in one place (beyond exotic dance halls or astronomy forums) in a long long time.
... all with a perfect right eye.
Old 22-10-2017, 04:25 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Just got around to seeing this and must say it's definitely one to see on the big screen. If you can IMAX it. No spoilers here but the visuals are second to none and the sound oh the sound is MAGNIFICENT!
Old 31-10-2017, 11:06 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I went to see it with Andy01 last night.

What a way to draw on and expand the story line of the original! great visuals as people have posted above, and while Vangelis was missing I reckon the score evoked Vangelis enough to tie the two movies together nicely. I liked the way they also kept the "Tech" in the movie quite faithful to the original as well, you could easily imagine technology and hardware evolving from what was pictured in the original to what was pictured in the new one. Contrast that to something like Star Wars EP1 where people had to try to explain way the "Devolution" of imaginary starship design from the sleek chrome beauties of EP1 to the very 1970's origami and scaffolding of the original movies.

And a nicely non NON Hollywood ending, throwing up questions rather than answers, just like the first time around.

I agree with Gary's post at the start of this thread, if you don't like the original, you probably won't like this one either. I am not sure if my wife will take to it but I am dead sure I will watch it again on a big screen, I know I looked down for a moment as some food arrived (Gold class, yay) and realised I had missed something and thought to myself "I am going to regret that in half an hour or so"

Last edited by The_bluester; 03-11-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

For me it was well worth the wait!
Faithfully recreates Ridley’s original vision & builds on the original story & design. Visually incredible, sound was awesome (even without Vangelis) and the pace was majestic.
A rare sequel that matches the original!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Late to this thread, even though I saw the film a day after opening night.

Firstly - the original Bladerunner is a work of art. One of the great films of the 20th century. I don't really care much for critics, most of them are so far up themselves with self importance it's sickening.

Anyway, onto Bladerunner 2049 - the acting was very good, although I would have liked to have seen more of Deckard. Perhaps a bit too slow, but captivating nevertheless. Music was good, but not as good as the original imho. Visuals were good, but not as good as the original either imho, but not far from.

And I must mention Ana de Armas - she is absolutely GORGEOUS!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 PM
beren

Got to see the film today, really enjoyed it , even my wife who was reluctant to go liked it {sections of the audience even applauded as the film finished } . Agree entirely with Garys original post dont miss seeing it on the big screen
Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Seeing tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it!

H
Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

I went and saw it on Friday night - what a great film - visually very well done, soundtrack also - even if it wasn't done by Vangelis - Zimmer did a great job. Plot and and character development were also very good. I made a point of re-watching the 'Final Cut' of the original which was well worth doing. BR2049 certainly came alive on the big screen.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Seeing tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it!

H
Let us know what you think!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

My friend who I was meant to go with pulled out. It's been postponed until next week.

H
Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
My friend who I was meant to go with pulled out. It's been postponed until next week.

H
Damn H!
Old 22-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Finally got to see this last night.

My goodness, what an incredible work of art! I was captivated the entire duration of the film. The cinematography and music were superb. A great continuation of the story!

H
Old 22-11-2017, 12:37 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Totally agree with you 'H' - Vangelis's original soundtrack is by far and away my favourite soundtrack, but Zimmer did a superb job of adding to audio landscape. The cinematography was breathtaking.
Old 27-11-2017, 05:25 AM
DeepSkyBagger (Patrick)
Astro Pom

Saw it myself a few weeks ago. I found it a very worthy successor to the original - I have no doubt it will come to be considered as much a classic as its predecessor.

Loved it.
Old 30-01-2018, 08:42 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Reviving this.

Just watched it last night, and I have to say it is a stunning masterpiece. So faithful to the original, and the background tones and music set the mood just as sharply - if not more so - than the original. I sat there completely immersed and riveted.

Nothing to dislike IMHO.
Old 30-01-2018, 09:00 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Finally got to see this last night.

My goodness, what an incredible work of art! I was captivated the entire duration of the film. The cinematography and music were superb. A great continuation of the story!

H
I've already bought it on Blu ray and watched it once more. Needs more showings, but I totally agree with you H. Thoroughly enjoyable movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Reviving this.

Just watched it last night, and I have to say it is a stunning masterpiece. So faithful to the original, and the background tones and music set the mood just as sharply - if not more so - than the original. I sat there completely immersed and riveted.

Nothing to dislike IMHO.
Agreed!
Old 30-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

My wife hated the first one. I'll subject her to this, too.

She also said that Mad Max Fury Road was 3 hours of her life she's never getting back. Hahaha!

H
Old 31-01-2018, 12:05 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
My wife hated the first one. I'll subject her to this, too.

She also said that Mad Max Fury Road was 3 hours of her life she's never getting back. Hahaha!

H
haven't seen mad max fury road, but didn't like the trailer, so prolly won't like it.

But, the original Blade Runner is a classic movie. How can your wife hate it!

have you seen "predestination"? One of the very best movies I've seen in many a year. I like a movie that makes me think (even if it hurts in my extreme old age lol!).
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 PM
beren

Blade Runner received the Best Cinematography and Visual Effects Oscars, well deserved Roger Deakins for cinematography. Thought Sylvia Hoeks should have been nominated supporting actress for her role as 'Luv"