Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 14-10-2017, 06:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
With regards to point 3...

God doesn't exist, he's a man made fictional character, designed to control the populaces.

Now before the Christians scream outrage and offence at my comment, from my point of view, as a non Christian, I surely have the right to voice my opinion that it's all baloney and BS. Or do Christian viewpoints trump anyone else's?
I think you forget the rules here.
And the reason those rules are in place.
But thinking about it I may have crossed the line recently here ...but you know what I am driving at..an edit maybe?
Alex
Old 14-10-2017, 09:58 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
I've used Booktopia a few times. You may have to wait for a while for some of the less popular titles (e.g. most Astronomy publications!) but, generally, the prices are reasonable and often discounted.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/search....uctType=917504

Cost quoted is $270 + pp

Not quite the US$164 but a lot better than $420
that's certainly a lot better, yes. Although it doesn't match the price from Amazon, but it kills Dymocks. Not that it's hard to kill Dymocks from a pricing point of view. It's the whole chicken and egg thing - people are sourcing from overseas cos the local costs are exorbitant. Local booksellers blame overseas sellers, but in reality, it's local greed that's causing the mass exodus from local sellers to Internet based sellers. I have no pity for Dinosaurs that want to protect their monopoly and rip local customers off. Sorry, not sorry!
Old 14-10-2017, 10:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
I didn't bring the G.O.D context into the thread in the first place...if I broke the "forum rules" then so did the original poster. If he's allowed to mention God, I'm certainly allowed to dispel that belief (it's my religious viewpoint). Christian viewpoints do not automatically trump others.
Fair point he broke them you smashed them.
Your logic is false. Just because one person brakes a rule that provides no entitlement to others to break the rules.

I was tempted to say something and held back as I reasoned that to say something I would have broken the rules.

Its about keeping things calm and respectful thus continuing to keep this a neat forum.

Alex
Old 14-10-2017, 11:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
My logic is on point. Many might disagree with that, because their views are skewered by religion, but it doesn't make my point of view any less correct, or any less valid.

let's be realistic here - if I'd refrained and simply reported the post based on it being a religious comment, do you really think Mike or a mod would have removed it? I'm not that naive or gullible to believe that, sorry.

But anyway, we have strayed off topic by now.
I am a strick atheist with strong Christian principles and would suggest your response could have been in keeping with the "turn the other cheek " approach.
I simply thought your post somewhat took attention off the post you sort to attack...
We have strayed off topic as you have observed... could you post something to guide it in the right direction.
Alex
Old 14-10-2017, 11:52 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Here's another example (Kayell Australia has long been known to be rip off distributors in the photography industry).

Datacolour Spyder5pro - USD $189 retail. Translates to around AUD $238, non inclusive of shipping.

Kayell Australia (Australian distributor of the range), lists the Australian RRP as being AUD $320...

a) these are small devices - warehouse storage costs would be pretty dirt cheap

b) they would ship these into Australia in bulk, saving on shipping costs

c) USD $189 is again, the retail price. I highly doubt that Kayell is paying that for their wholesale price. Sorry, I'm not going to buy that. That makes the local price gouging even worse...

Perhaps the Australian government should be forcing these distributors to reveal their wholesale prices to the public...

Oh, and European buyers get a 2 year warranty (enforced by the EEC - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...EGISSUM:l32022). Kind of makes me think that our government certainly doesn't care about consumers *wink wink*.

I found this opportunistic EBay seller:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New...IAAOSwc1FXbi7R

Said Ebayer has removed the "ask a question" option (although you can use the contact seller option at the top). Just for kicks and giggles, I might message them and ask them if this is Australian sourced stock and point out the price disparity...what's the odds that I get a reply ;-)

yes, in an open market, I can choose not to buy from them. And some would argue that that's sufficient. I disagree. Price gougers should be criminally punished.

PS I highly doubt that that EBayer is getting their stock from the local distributor either, probably from overseas in order to gain an even higher profit level...
Old 15-10-2017, 12:15 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
As the subject title says. We get ripped off here. A LOT. For far too long distributors and retailers have been allowed to price rape Australians.

Example:

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas: Field edition.

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/interstellaru...tellarum+field

USD $164.16 (around $200 AUD).

Dymocks Australia:

https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/inte.../#.WdDIQ9Og-Rs

they want a very greedy AUD $420.00. WTF? Like seriously?

note: Amazon price is the retail price, the wholesale price will be a lot lower than this, which makes the Dymocks markup even more ridiculous. And, this is not the first time I've see Dymocks do this, and when you query prices with them, they don't even give you the courtesy of a reply. Talk about treating customers with contempt!

Now, if your'e going to tell me that it costs $220 to ship the book to Australia, or store it in a warehouse, I'm gonna suggest that you put the ice crack pipe down.

This is why Australians are buying direct from overseas in DROVES. Local business complains, and our incompetent politicians do nothing but protect businesses, rather than their constituents who legally voted them into power. Has to make you wonder...

if local business wants to compete, then they need to actually compete, not compel the Australian government to bully Australians into not buying from competitive overseas vendors.

This just really ires me badly.
This issue is not only in Australia. In the EU there are also similar cases. E.g. the iPhone X costs US$ 999 in the US (actually US$ 1100 max. including sales tax), but EUR1159 in the EU. With a euro/$ rate of 1.16 this should be 1100/1.16 = 950 euros and not 1160.
And same with telescope accessories such as eyepieces.

Moreover, import duty is mandatory with overseas orders above EUR 115 (AUD 160), while Australian customs charge you with imports over AUD 1000.
Old 15-10-2017, 12:31 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
This issue is not only in Australia. In the EU there are also similar cases. E.g. the iPhone X costs US$ 999 in the US (actually US$ 1100 max. including sales tax), but EUR1159 in the EU. With a euro/$ rate of 1.16 this should be 1100/1.16 = 950 euros and not 1160.
And same with telescope accessories such as eyepieces.

Moreover, import duty is mandatory with overseas orders above EUR 115 (AUD 160), while Australian customs charge you with imports over AUD 1000.
Yes, that is very true. Governments certainly love to tax the masses (and do as much as possible to avoid taxing businesses!!!!). Funny thing that, but I'll digress!
Old 15-10-2017, 07:08 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Governments certainly love to tax the masses
They are saving up to implement extensive new pricing controls on astronomy books.
Old 15-10-2017, 07:25 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
They are saving up to implement extensive new pricing controls on astronomy books.
nah, they need the money to pay for 15 minute helicopter rides ;-)
Old 15-10-2017, 07:44 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
nah, they need the money to pay for 15 minute helicopter rides ;-)
Not to mention stupid plebiscites. It's always easier to throw money around if it is provided by someone else
Old 15-10-2017, 09:06 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Not to mention stupid plebiscites. It's always easier to throw money around if it is provided by someone else
hear hear.