ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-09-2017, 12:25 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Have a cigar...

This is an irregularly shaped galaxy that is commonly known as the 'cigar' galaxy. It is classified as a Magellanic type barred spiral, which puts it in the same kind of category as the Large Magellanic Cloud.
At 7.2 million light years (or 2.2M parsecs) it's not quite in the local group, but nor is it believed to be in the Sculptor group of galaxies. It's stuck somewhere in between, along with it's mate NGC300.

I took this with a streetlight shining into the telescope :-( over two nights through the 16" ASA.
Processed in pixinisght using the new funky-chicken local normalisation and drizzle integration, a smidge of decon, then photometric colour calibration and lots of stretching and masking to try and get the background not blotchy.

high res on astrobin here. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome!
http://www.astrobin.com/full/314169/0/

cheers,
Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Image189tn.jpg)
193.3 KB122 views
Old 28-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That's very fine, Andrew. The number of background galaxies with detailed detectable shape and structure is impressive.
Old 28-09-2017, 07:28 AM
gregbradley

Terrific image Andrew. Galaxy detail and colour look spot on. Only comment would be the relatively high background noise that could be reduced.

Greg.
Old 28-09-2017, 08:19 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That is superb Andrew. Cooking on all 6 now. You've resolved many of the background faint fuzzies.
Old 28-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I feel your pain with the streetlight(s)...think I have about 4.5 million of the suckers to contend with....

Beautifuly resolved. Nice one

Last edited by Peter Ward; 28-09-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 28-09-2017, 10:32 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Andrew,

I agree with Greg's comment that the background would benefit from a little clean up, but the galaxy looks great

Did you find that LocalNormalization made a worthwhile contribution? I have tried it a couple of times on difficult fields with very faint detail and haven't been convinced it was an improvement.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 28-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Given your conditions Andrew I think that's pretty darn good! Dare I say though that I think it's M82 in the north that's known as the cigar galaxy. Of course when I observed M82 many years ago I remember remarking that it looked very like NGC 55.

Cheers

Steve
Old 28-09-2017, 07:40 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

ouch! streetlights into the scope! you're game! but still good - nice one.

russ
Old 28-09-2017, 07:45 PM
DJT (David)

That’s really nicely done. As Greg says, colours are spot on. Took a closer peak at the Ha areas and the dust areas in the galaxy and they are well resolved plus excellent stars.

Top job!
Old 28-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

The detail in NGC55 is very good David. This object can be hard to make to look good and you've done a great job.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Detail and colour is very nice Andrew, echo the comments of others with the background noise reduction
Old 29-09-2017, 07:27 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Great result Andrew good detailed stucture visible in the galaxy.

Streetlight would have made you mad though!

Erik
Old 29-09-2017, 10:56 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That's very fine, Andrew. The number of background galaxies with detailed detectable shape and structure is impressive.
Thanks Mike and Trish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That is superb Andrew. Cooking on all 6 now. You've resolved many of the background faint fuzzies.
Thanks - there's a lot of really cool little irregular things hiding in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I feel your pain with the streetlight(s)...think I have about 4.5 million of the suckers to contend with....

Beautifuly resolved. Nice one
Thanks Peter! I thing your light pollution must be about double mine, I'm 10km away from the CBD, but it's not exaclty the same population!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Terrific image Andrew. Galaxy detail and colour look spot on. Only comment would be the relatively high background noise that could be reduced.

Greg.
Thanks Greg - as per my reply to Rick, the first night's data gave a better background, and I think I got too clever with Pixinisght!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Andrew,

I agree with Greg's comment that the background would benefit from a little clean up, but the galaxy looks great

Did you find that LocalNormalization made a worthwhile contribution? I have tried it a couple of times on difficult fields with very faint detail and haven't been convinced it was an improvement.

Cheers,
Rick.
Funny you should say that, Rick. The first night's data I processed without it and it looked a lot cleaner. When I combined both nights data I tried using it. Looking at the rejection images, it looks like it's doing a great job of eliminating all the local gradients, but the end result was a lot harder to get a nice stretch on. The background noise is as good as I could get it before a lot of localised blobs appeared in it. But in comparison, the first night's image had a much better background. I might try again without the local normalisation and see if that's why it went bad...
Old 29-09-2017, 11:03 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Given your conditions Andrew I think that's pretty darn good! Dare I say though that I think it's M82 in the north that's known as the cigar galaxy. Of course when I observed M82 many years ago I remember remarking that it looked very like NGC 55.

Cheers

Steve
You're quite right! I've been calling it the cigar for years, but when I checked Hartungs, there's certainly no record of it having that common name. At least we can agree it's NGC 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post

russ
You know it's bad when you have to set the scope up upside down so that the coma corrector doesn't have light falling directly on it :-(
Old 29-09-2017, 11:06 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Great result Andrew good detailed stucture visible in the galaxy.

Streetlight would have made you mad though!

Erik
The bloody thing actually went out for two weeks and I was hoping the weather would clear, but of course the grumpy, mean old neighbor over the road rang the council straight away and complained so they came and fixed it just before the clouds went away.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:09 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post

russ
Thanks Russ - it's the main reason I went for a dome, the observatory is above my garage and it is 10m away from a streetlight. I kick the thing every time I walk past it, glare at it, and have a bounty of a lifetime supply of beer for anyone who mows it down.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:11 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Detail and colour is very nice Andrew, echo the comments of others with the background noise reduction
Thanks Colin, unfortunately, I think given the unevenness of the background caused by the light gradients means that's as good as it will get. Although I'll have another go at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
The detail in NGC55 is very good David. This object can be hard to make to look good and you've done a great job.
Cheers for that! Although David's my brother's name
Old 30-09-2017, 01:31 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Funny you should say that, Rick. The first night's data I processed without it and it looked a lot cleaner. When I combined both nights data I tried using it. Looking at the rejection images, it looks like it's doing a great job of eliminating all the local gradients, but the end result was a lot harder to get a nice stretch on. The background noise is as good as I could get it before a lot of localised blobs appeared in it. But in comparison, the first night's image had a much better background. I might try again without the local normalisation and see if that's why it went bad...
Andrew,

I have since had some success using LocalNormalization on a fairly large amount of NGC7424 data. I had to push the scale up from the default and got best results using a DBE'd integration as the reference image.

You could always just nuke the background A careful mask and blur by removing a few small scale wavelet layers will do it!

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 30-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post

Cheers for that! Although David's my brother's name
Oops,
Old 30-09-2017, 05:41 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Nice picture !
I thought you were writing about M82 which is 'the cigar galaxy' in Ursa Major. But that is too far north (decl -69º) to be viewed from Australia.