Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-08-2016, 09:19 PM
PeterAnderson (Peter)

C14 - Bat Droppings and loose tube

Observing lunar occultations the other night with the Moon nearly overhead, some light cloud scudded over and I thoughtI felt a few light drops on my face. Checking out the corrector plate there was a thumbnail size wet splotch, which when carefully wiped left a shiny spot the same size. We live in the bush and bats fly over quite often. Well a cotton bud wet with water and then a dry cotton bud removed the shiny spot with no damage, but I was worried. Sprinkled with bat urine no less!

Anyway the corrector plate needs cleaning anyway and I just bought some Iso Propyl Alcohol and cotton balls from the chemist and will work up the will to do the job.

That same night I investigated a slighter firmness in the declination motion of the CGEM DX mount on this telescope. Swinging it back and forth in the horizontal position, at certain attitudes, the whole telescope gave a shudder...not good. Okay, close the roof and turn the lights on.
Nothing obvious but then I saw the Allen bolts tightening the dec shaft. Upon checking out, one was loose - 3/4 turn to tighten and the others say about 1/8 turn. Wow! I could have had the tube on the floor ...shudder.

I thought I would share this with you.
Old 17-08-2016, 09:42 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I've always been a bit worried that would happen to me, Peter. One side of our house is regularly decorated by the flying foxes. Lucky you got to it quickly!

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I get fruit bats during spring and summer in my area but I also have a puppy that hates them so they tend to give my property quite a wide berth
Old 18-08-2016, 09:34 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAnderson View Post
Nothing obvious but then I saw the Allen bolts tightening the dec shaft. Upon checking out, one was loose - 3/4 turn to tighten and the others say about 1/8 turn. Wow! I could have had the tube on the floor ...shudder.
Don't complain too loudly Peter.... Celestron/Synta have developed a bad habit of using red Loctite, then you'd never get the bolts loose