Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2016, 02:28 PM
atalas

10 Micron GM1000 hps Mount

Hi Guys

Ok, so I'm looking and buying a high end mount and have been considering the 10 Micron GM1000 HPS.

If anyone here is using one I would love to here your thoughts on it please.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I've read up on and heard a lot about these mounts, lots of good feedback on the CN forum. I was seriously thinking about buying one of these but ended up going down the ASA route.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:08 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I'd kill for one of those. Do want.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:19 PM
gregbradley

Its probably a fine mount but I would only really consider an AP mount these days. Too many stories of SB quality issues and my AP1600 mount handles the CDK17 like its nothing and PE is half of my excellent PME mount.

Plus its field upgradeable with encoders later if you want. Most likely cheaper as well.

Greg.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:24 PM
atalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I've read up on and heard a lot about these mounts, lots of good feedback on the CN forum. I was seriously thinking about buying one of these but ended up going down the ASA route.
Hi Col

Yes i'm reading through reviews as we speek!I am leaning towards the 10 Microns,very impresive tracking which seems to be unmatched without absalute encoders.

Also thinking of the MX+ with internal cabling and a greater capacity but,I can't stop thinking about the 10 Micron specs!25kg capacity is fine for now I guess but not exactly future proof.....It's a tough one.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:28 PM
atalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
I'd kill for one of those. Do want.
Glad you don't know where I live then....or do you?

Hey,If I get one just wait a couple of years and It will probabably be up for sale.....keep you out of prison
Old 11-08-2016, 03:31 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Its probably a fine mount but I would only really consider an AP mount these days. Too many stories of SB quality issues and my AP1600 mount handles the CDK17 like its nothing and PE is half of my excellent PME mount.

Plus its field upgradeable with encoders later if you want. Most likely cheaper as well.

Greg.
I don't know about AP being cheaper when you factor in the encoders Greg, but I'm with you on AP being a quality product. Their customer support is fantastic - had a nice chat with Howard on the phone about their new software. Feels like a family run company.

DT
Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by atalas View Post
Hi Col

Yes i'm reading through reviews as we speek!I am leaning towards the 10 Microns,very impresive tracking which seems to be unmatched without absalute encoders.

Also thinking of the MX+ with internal cabling and a greater capacity but,I can't stop thinking about the 10 Micron specs!25kg capacity is fine for now I guess but not exactly future proof.....It's a tough one.
I only got the DDM60 so it has the same capacity as the GM1000. As I am likely to be on a nightly setup for the foreseeable future I know I won't need anything more than a 25kg capacity. If you feel it may not be future proof then it may be worth while taking that extra step up. I have gone down this route to take guiding out of the equation, I have an interest in doing what could considered as survey work so guiding and mount settling just eats into too much imaging time for me. If you're planning on guiding anyway there is also the Mesu200 mount that may interest you
Old 11-08-2016, 03:45 PM
atalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

Greg.
Yeah sure Greg, but It's out of my budget range for now and the absalute encosers on the AP's are an add on and very expensive. The 10 Micron are built in and If you look at the tracking charts....unbelievable! and I think from what I've read up to date electronics and software.

The Paramount track record of late has got me concerned as well....I think that's a good point you make there Greg,and one I can't just dismiss.

On the other hand with the 10 Micron quality control is what I'm trying to find out by posting here.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 PM
atalas

Quote:
I only got the DDM60 so it has the same capacity as the GM1000. As I am likely to be on a nightly setup for the foreseeable future I know I won't need anything more than a 25kg capacity. If you feel it may not be future proof then it may be worth while taking that extra step up. I have gone down this route to take guiding out of the equation, I have an interest in doing what could considered as survey work so guiding and mount settling just eats into too much imaging time for me. If you're planning on guiding anyway there is also the Mesu200 mount that may interest you
Well,I want to dither so yes I'll still be guiding(there going to be long guiding exposures)and Mesu200 I did have a brief look....very brief!It's ugly

So far the only thing that I don't like about the 10 Micron mount is that you can't route cables internally....can work around but would be nice for automation
Old 11-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Well,I want to dither so yes I'll still be guiding(there going to be long guiding exposures)and Mesu200 I did have a brief look....very brief!It's ugly

So far the only thing that I don't like about the 10 Micron mount is that you can't route cables internally....can work around but would be nice for automation
It does have that kinda steam punk look to it that some find quite attractive The benefit of astronomy is that most of the time we don't actually have to look at it hehe
FYI you can dither by mount so you don't need a guider. You can in MaximDL, not sure about any other software though.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:03 PM
atalas

Quote:
It does have that kinda steam punk look to it that some find quite attractive The benefit of astronomy is that most of the time we don't actually have to look at it hehe
FYI you can dither by mount so you don't need a guider. You can in MaximDL, not sure about any other software though.
Yeah,like a punk chick from the 70's.....yuck!

Ah,how does that work....Maxim tells you to kick your mount between exposures? nah,sounds good though Col...might look into Maxim,cause I won't have any money left after this....still gunna need a pier.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Just to give my 2 cents worth with the PM+, it is an excellent mount especially when you use it with TSX, but there have been some quality issues. i have had a worm gear and a motherboard replaced under warranty. the SB guys will replace faulty equipment under warranty without too much trouble but you would rather not have the issues in the first place.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 PM
atalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
Just to give my 2 cents worth with the PM+, it is an excellent mount especially when you use it with TSX, but there have been some quality issues. i have had a worm gear and a motherboard replaced under warranty. the SB guys will replace faulty equipment under warranty without too much trouble but you would rather not have the issues in the first place.
Hello Aidan....yes,thta's what I want to avoid...thanks for your input
Old 11-08-2016, 07:05 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

All I can say is that I saw a 10 Micron GM1000 in action at this years SPSP. It was awesome. If ever I buy another large apo, this will be the mount for it.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:28 PM
atalas

Good to hear John!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:04 PM
beren

Hi Louie unfortunately haven't got a 10 micron but are you going for a more permanent set-up, larger scopes? I would prefer a bit more payload capacity at the GM1000 price point {9000 US ?}. A new AP 1100GTO is close to 8000 US with a rated capcity of 50 kg and like Greg mentioned absolute encoders can be added later in kit form....as new with them installed 14000 US , the GM2000 is about the same price with 60kg capacity. Good luck with the choice the 10 micron mounts look great......noticed Claude at AEC is an agent, if you give him a call use a landline you'll be on the phone for a while
Old 11-08-2016, 09:23 PM
atalas

Hi Stu

Yep,I'll be going through Claudi If I decide on the 10 Micron....the AP1100 is out of my price range for now.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 AM
atalas

Has anyone in Australia bought and used one?
Old 18-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Hi Stu

Yep,I'll be going through Claudi If I decide on the 10 Micron....the AP1100 is out of my price range for now.
Hi Louie, it's been a long time I second everything Greg had to say above re AP. What's the price difference between the comparable GM and AP models?