Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 PM
stanlite (Grady)

EQ6 Hypertune and mods

So a few months ago I sold the losmandy and bought a EQ6 and some narrow band filters. I downgraded because I have moved to a smaller APO and could use the capital for other improvements. Plus while the Losmandy was good i never loved it like i did my old EQ6.

So i did the mandatory strip and hypertune as well as a belt mod and a counterweight bar modification. Before doing all this i was getting around 35 to 40 peak to peak PEC.

I must say that i am very happy with these results and will let the pics do the talking. I haven't yet applied the PEC yet but when I do i will upload those results to.

Thanks to Peter for his idea regarding the counterweight mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PEC.png)
31.4 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (PEC1.png)
49.1 KB89 views
Old 09-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Looks very nice! I had considered doing the hyperfune on my EQ6 but just never got around to it. Although it does have a fair bit of PE, as long as there isn't any grit it is pretty clean (easy to guide out).
Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 PM
StuTodd

I've got the Rowan astronomy belt kit and I wonder if you changed all the bearings or just the 4 worm drive ones? Also, where can I get details of the weight bar mod please, I don't recall seeing that?!

Cheers,
Stu
Old 19-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Very nice results Grady

I have just got my AZEQ6 cleaned and relubricated, because after two years of moderate use it started to guide quite poorly. Tonight I managed to put my gear back together and to collect just over 20 minutes of tracking data before clouds rolled in (see the attached screenshots). Hopefully guiding will be better than before the mount was serviced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PE_curve.jpg)
178.4 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (PE_curve2.jpg)
106.2 KB34 views
Old 19-08-2016, 09:37 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post
I've got the Rowan astronomy belt kit and I wonder if you changed all the bearings or just the 4 worm drive ones? Also, where can I get details of the weight bar mod please, I don't recall seeing that?!

Cheers,
Stu
Try this link

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...hlight=Counter
Old 20-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Neat work with the weight bar modification Peter - it does look much more sturdy.

While servicing my mount I also decided to try to improve tripod's rigidity, so I bought TPI tripod spreader. The tripod is more rigid now, but will need to wait and see if it does help with pointing accuracy and overall tracking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
86.2 KB47 views
Old 20-08-2016, 08:26 AM
glend (Glen)

Re tripod regidity, if possible in your location forgoe the tripod and install an all weather pier. A pier makes a big difference for imaging, and you get more room around the base than with a tripod. I know people normally think of a pier in relation to an observatory but they can be stand alone. You would probably need to own the property in order to put in a pier footing but they can be dug and constructed by hand. You can always turn it into a birdbath post if you need to.
Old 20-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you for the advice Glen. Hoping to build an observatory one beautiful day, but will have to move out of the city first and stop renting too...
Old 01-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Windston (Dan)
Lets light this candle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Re tripod regidity, if possible in your location forgoe the tripod and install an all weather pier. A pier makes a big difference for imaging, and you get more room around the base than with a tripod. I know people normally think of a pier in relation to an observatory but they can be stand alone. You would probably need to own the property in order to put in a pier footing but they can be dug and constructed by hand. You can always turn it into a birdbath post if you need to.
This is exactly what I was thinking!
Making a pier and leaving the mount permanently aligned on top with a few layers of cover to protect it and only throw the scope on around new moon when its clear, saving a heap of time.

And then once my farm gets internet within the next year, its remote obsy time! I am already working on plans for it, so excited!