ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-08-2016, 12:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

New website... I really don't like how if it is NOT in stock it does NOT give the specs/data for many products. Kind of makes you not want to pre-order. I found that the case with a few of the ZWO cameras and some other items.

Can't believe the amount of markup from buying from ZWO direct and the Bintel price - talk about sticker shock! But I am becoming an old curmudgeon ;P
Old 18-08-2016, 02:24 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I must be looking at the wrong place then. The prices listed at ZWO are in USD and don't include tax (GST) which you might have to pay on import.

Factor in the currency conversions and tax, and at least for the '1600 series cameras, the mark up seems quite low?
Old 18-08-2016, 02:34 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

About time, new site is OK. Every product listed should have photos and a description with it. Usually if I am browsing and there is no stock photo I skip over those products. The old site still exists, they need to shut that down and redirect the old URL to the new one.
Old 19-11-2016, 03:46 PM
ColHut (Colin)

A challenge for me: it completely overwhelms my Ipad I. Flickering gibberish all over the screen! Fine on my desktop but I like o browse from elsewhere. Any chance of selecting a less intense view?

regards
Old 20-11-2016, 11:19 AM
beren

I just wish Bintel could improve their email response time, apart from that the site and service is great, the last two enquires have gone unanswered {one involved a Atik ccd}. The days of not answering or taking a couple of days to get back via email to a customer is over. Here is a list of stores that I have used that consistently communicate back in short order Claude at AEC, Steve at Astroshop,Andrews communications,Telescope Express, Agena, Opt, 365astronomy{UK store},PrimaLuceLab,Woodland, Adorama,Cyclops optics. I prefer having correspondence/business done in the written form for record keeping, to counter the "use the phone " argument. Anyway that's my soapbox moment .
Old 28-11-2016, 05:25 PM
happycamper

Haven't read the thread so not sure if this has been covered yet.
I tried the mobile site today on my iphone and wasn't able to navigate to eyepieces. Thought it might be in accessories, but didn't see it there. I was only able to do a search (for say "nagler"). Didn't try TOO hard to find them but then it shouldn't be hard either.
cheers
John
Old 28-11-2016, 07:32 PM
jamespierce (James)

Doesn't feel like an improvement on the old site (which was quite serviceable ?)
Old 28-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Oh dear.

Clicked on the link and got the attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (bintelspook.jpg)
57.4 KB39 views
Old 28-11-2016, 10:04 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Oh dear.

Clicked on the link and got the attached...
i can confirm this (using chrome)
Old 29-11-2016, 01:58 AM
mountainjoo (Jerome)

https://www.bintel.com.au/ working fine on chrome.
Old 29-11-2016, 12:46 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
Haven't read the thread so not sure if this has been covered yet.
I tried the mobile site today on my iphone and wasn't able to navigate to eyepieces. Thought it might be in accessories, but didn't see it there. I was only able to do a search (for say "nagler"). Didn't try TOO hard to find them but then it shouldn't be hard either.
cheers
John
Hi John!

I just tried on my iPhone and didn't have any trouble. There are two ways there - Either scroll down from the homepage to the list of categories and there is a main one for eyepieces.

OR clicking on the mobile menu, then the arrow next to "adapters and accessories" and eyepieces are in there.

Let me know if either of those things isn't working for you!

Dylan.
Old 29-11-2016, 12:48 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
i can confirm this (using chrome)
Yep, because we've switched to the old (original) domain name now - bintel.com.au .. when trying to hit it with the temporary/transition URL binocularandtelescope.com.au you will get the SSL warning.

We decided that the original domain name was the best one to run with now that the old site is gone so please update any bookmarks you have to go directly to bintel.com.au and you won't get any errors.

I'll update the original post to reflect this too.. thanks!

Dylan.
Old 29-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Kunama

The website works too well, just cost me a small fortune

at least the steady stream of Aust Post vans coming to visit will make me feel better...
Old 29-11-2016, 03:37 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
The website works too well, just cost me a small fortune

at least the steady stream of Aust Post vans coming to visit will make me feel better...
Haha! Well that's good to hear, I think Merry Christmas!
Old 29-11-2016, 11:57 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Eyepieces & Barlows section

Hey Dylan,

A few things I miss from the old site...

1. The old site had 'Eyepieces & Barlows' as a direct link at the top of the page whereas now it's hidden away under 'Adapters & Accessories'.
  2. The old Tele Vue section had links on the left to browse by range, e.g. Naglers, Panoptics, etc.
  3. Finally, and I'm being a little OCD, in my opinion the default sort order for eyepieces should be focal length. Currently they're thrown together in a random order.

Making them nicer to browse through will increase the chance of a purchase!
Old 30-11-2016, 10:06 AM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Hey Dylan,

A few things I miss from the old site...

1. The old site had 'Eyepieces & Barlows' as a direct link at the top of the page whereas now it's hidden away under 'Adapters & Accessories'.
  2. The old Tele Vue section had links on the left to browse by range, e.g. Naglers, Panoptics, etc.
  3. Finally, and I'm being a little OCD, in my opinion the default sort order for eyepieces should be focal length. Currently they're thrown together in a random order.

Making them nicer to browse through will increase the chance of a purchase!
Thanks for the feedback Morton! I've fed this back to the team. The products are actually ordered by price (it's not random) from low to high which makes sense most of the time. Whether they want to sort by other options depends if they have time to manually sort each category depending on what it is. I'll see what they say about adding subcategories to televues and "eyepieces and barlows" to the main menu.

d
Old 30-11-2016, 10:19 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_odonnell View Post
Thanks for the feedback Morton! I've fed this back to the team. The products are actually ordered by price (it's not random) from low to high which makes sense most of the time. Whether they want to sort by other options depends if they have time to manually sort each category depending on what it is. I'll see what they say about adding subcategories to televues and "eyepieces and barlows" to the main menu.

d
Thanks, Dylan.

You're right about the sort order being by price, although (to me) it looks odd when that results in the first three items being Tele Vue Plossl 11mm, 15mm then 8mm - standard alphabetical sorting I guess.
Old 30-11-2016, 04:41 PM
happycamper

Ahh, that's interesting. On a mobile device, my first instinct is always to hit the Hamburger first, so I didn't scroll right down to the bottom of the home page.

However, if you do hit the hamburger, and the actual "adaptors and accessories" link (as i did originally on the left side of the menu), I still don't see an eyepieces section. However if i hit the ARROW there (right side of menu) i do. 'seems inconsistent.

But also, don't you think that eyepieces should have it's own main link under the hamburger? (you already have telescopes, and mounts at that menu level, so i would have thought eyepieces are of that same importance).

cheers
John

Quote:
Hi John!

I just tried on my iPhone and didn't have any trouble. There are two ways there - Either scroll down from the homepage to the list of categories and there is a main one for eyepieces.

OR clicking on the mobile menu, then the arrow next to "adapters and accessories" and eyepieces are in there.

Let me know if either of those things isn't working for you!

Dylan.
Old 23-12-2016, 09:38 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:

d
Just came across the updated eyepiece section. Looks great!
Old 23-12-2016, 11:10 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Just came across the updated eyepiece section. Looks great!
Yes we do listen, even to the visual guys

Just joking. In all seriousness Bintel is always listening to the feedback!