Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 13-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Entropy

Frustrating troubles with ColorCalibration (PixInsight)

Hey guys,

I'm having some really frustrating troubles with the ColorCalibration tool.
I have used this tool in the same way with this image before with good results but now when I use it, it washes the entire image out with a purple haze.
I have no idea what I am doing wrong I have tried it a few times after using multiple DBE settings with the same result every time
The following image has had 2 DBE passes, RGB working space to set all the colours to 1.000 and a BackgroundNeutralization with the same reference as I am trying to use for ColorCalibration.

Attached are
-The original image before calibration
-The result

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (light_BINNING_1_DBE_RGB.jpg)
207.0 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (what the.jpg)
208.6 KB15 views
Old 13-06-2014, 12:35 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Is the image linear? You should do colour calibration before stretching. I'm not sure why you would want to tweak the RGB working space in this instance. What's the reason for that? Also check that your background and white references make sense.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 13-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Entropy

Color cal was done on a linear image. I just did an STF to show the image. RGBWORKINGSPACE was only done because I am very new to pixin sight and a tutorial I read suggested to do it to images. To be honest I'm still not sure of what it does however I have done it before and got good results out of ColorCalibration.

Background reference is a small preview box in bottom left and white reference is either a small preview box on the rich star field center and towards the bottom or a tiny preview box on the brightest star above the lagoon.
Old 13-06-2014, 01:48 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Color cal was done on a linear image. I just did an STF to show the image.
OK, that's good.

Quote:
RGBWORKINGSPACE was only done because I am very new to pixin sight and a tutorial I read suggested to do it to images. To be honest I'm still not sure of what it does however I have done it before and got good results out of ColorCalibration.
The default working space is intended to match our perception of colour (e.g. green is heavily weighted.) The only time I have messed with a 1:1:1 space is for extracting a synthetic luminance where I wanted equal weighting. I'd be interested to see the tutorial if you still have a reference to it, but I'd recommend you skip this step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Background reference is a small preview box in bottom left and white reference is either a small preview box on the rich star field center and towards the bottom or a tiny preview box on the brightest star above the lagoon.
I presume you're doing structure detection when you pick a star field as the white ref?

Another thought: you're not doing the STF with the colours unlinked are you? Weird stuff will happen if you do an unlinked screen stretch and then colour calibration.

What does the ColorCalibration process display on the process console when you run it? It should tell you the coefficients it used to adjust the R, G & B levels. That may hint at what the problem is.

Apart from that I don't have any clever ideas. I'd be happy to have a play with the image if you can put it on Dropbox or similar and PM me.

Cheers,
Rick.