Old 01-01-2009, 05:37 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Wireless USB hub and QHY cameras

Hi guys,

as I have promised in this thread I'm providing results from testing both QHY5 and QHY8 with new model IOGEAR Wireless USB Hub and Adapter kit

In overall I can say it works with both QHY5 and QHY8 and they are both recognised by a wireless hub and can be connected, controlled and images can be transferred wirelessly from the hub to a laptop via the supplied in the KIT adapter. However there's some interference(horizontal lines) shown on pictures from both cameras.

May be it's not be a big problem for QHY5 ouput as it's used for guiding and few lines on it may not affect the process. However for a picture from QHY8 there is the only horizontal line which appears occasionally at different position on the picture.

I will try to post pictures I've mentioned above as soon as I can get another chance to test all setup again. I think it's better to do it more than once as there are different wireless channels that can be used for transmition and I've tried only a couple of them. Others may work better.

Other two USB devices that I had chance to test were:

1) Philips toUCam. Result: can be connected with no problem but software supplied with the webcam doesn't show any picture, just a black screen. Actually I had exactly the same problem when I was trying to test this web cam with USB over network software so the source of the problem may be the same.
2)Canon 400D. Result: it works fine and pictures can be transferred wirelessly from camera to a laptop without anything bad added to them.

I'd love to test live view but I don't have 40D

cheers,

Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Hrmm.. Interesting Mike...

I think I'll pass on wireless USB for those devices... (seems a waste considering you still need 2 other power cables for the QHY8 anyway...)

The wireless EQMOD project is on the to-do list though... Firmly at position 3!!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Thats a gem of a idea, what pricing is the kit?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Alex, yes you won't be able to get rid of power cables but the whole idea to get rid of cables running to a laptop so you can carry your laptop around or bring it inside your house.

Brendan, I have paid AU$230 wich includes shipping to Australia and service fee for buying it from usa store. The store doesn't sell it ouside US and it's the only store which sells this kit now.

If you want it I can sell it for $210.

cheers,

Mike
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

i went hunting and found them for 150 hehehe, im looking at the moment into wireless mounting. so far the bluetooth rs323 is 200 bucks, but thats just to eliminate 1 wire. you can get a rs323 cable --> usb for 29 bucks, but would you be able to put a usb bluetooth dongle into that? interesting, i know it cant be that hard or that damn expensive but every where im looking its like they are in cahoots with each other. pliks.!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Brendan,

$150 is probably the price for the previous model of this wireless USB hub and adapter kit by IOGEAR. That kit has model #GUWH104KIT and it doesn't provide 400Mbs transmission speed. The one I'm talking about is the latest kit and it has model # GUWH204KIT. It provides 400Mbs transmission speed. I did my research looking for a place where I could buy it and found only bestbuy.com. They sell it for US$120 but they don't ship outside US so I bought it through another Australian company and paid extra US$20 for their service fee and shipping it from bestbuy to USA address first. Then they sent it to me for US$35 via USPS. That how it came to AU$230.

re Serial to bluetooth, it's not $200 if you mean US dollars. It's just US$129 for adapter with built in battery. You can buy the one without battery for US$84 and this price includes a power adapter worth of US$5.

BTW AirCable is not the only company which makes them. Search US ebay for "Serial Bluetooth" and you'll find some adapters even cheaper(US$65).
So I guess extra US$50 or less might be worth of going wireless.

You can also use the same serial to bluetooth adapters to control your mount from PDAs with Pocket PC OS. I know there is SKY version for Pocket PC devices. And may be even Palm devices can be used if there is any telescope-planetary control software for PALM OS and PALM comes with a bluetooth built in.

cheers,

Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Actually there is Astromist software which is alavaible both for Palm and Windows mobile OSs. So you can control your mount wirelessly from your handheld device such as PDA with Windows Mobile or Palm OS installed. Also you can do it from a mobile phone with Windows Mobile OS.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:04 AM
StardaddyEd (Ed)

Just to throw my two cents in. I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a while and have yet to come up with a viable solution. All of my gear is routed to a USB hub and then one cable runs into my kitchen. If I can go wireless then I don't need any cables.

I have tried the mentioned wireless hub along with others but all of them failed due to either not being able to recognize the camera or quality issues with the transfer. From talking to my USB buddies (I work for an electronics firm) the rate that the hubs can transfer at are not quite up to the speed the camera needs. In my case I have a QHY8 which has no buffer so the transfer must be quick and clean.

For me, if the camera doesn't work then there really is no point to using a wireless router and then running a cable anyway.

Ed
Old 24-03-2009, 06:43 PM
bthoven

Hi,

Any luck in using Toucam Pro with this wireless usb hub?

Thanks
Old 25-03-2009, 09:03 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

I haven't had a chance to test it again. I will do it but it won't happen till late April. My house is being extended and all my gears are in storage.

If you want to try it yourself you can do it without buying this hub. There is software called USB over network on the market. They have a trial version. I've actually tried this software too and got the same bad result with ToUCam. However considering that my hub works with QHY5 and QHY8 this software may work too. It might also work with ToUCam if you try it over gigabit ethernet. I've tried it with wireless only.

cheers,

Mike
Old 25-03-2009, 09:13 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Hi Ed,

I've had only problems with data quality from both QHY5 and QHY8. The hub connects and recongnises both cameras without problem.

If you have a chance you can try software I've just mentioned in my post above. Running it over Gigabit ethernet should give more than enough speed.

If it works over gigabit it will be fantastic. It'll allow to use a single ethernet cable and cheap software to do all imaging remotelly without using remote desktop software. At least it will be a good solution for QHY cameras.

cheers,

Mike
Old 13-09-2010, 05:50 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Just the thread and info I was looking for...how timely..if not a little late!

Thanks gents especially Mike.

Looking at running PHD, QHY5 and maybe G11 mount and maybe focus control...all in one. Maybe..just maybe...450D as well? Three cheers to bandwidth hopes!

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 13-09-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 13-09-2010, 07:23 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Just the thread and info I was looking for...how timely..if not a little late!

Thanks gents especially Mike.

Looking at running PHD, QHY5 and maybe G11 mount and maybe focus control...all in one. Maybe..just maybe...450D as well? Three cheers to bandwidth hopes!
Interesting device, I have just purchace a WiFi USB hub but not sure if it will work for cameras. It does work as a wireless printer hub but as not too many people use them for cameras I am not sure it will work. Personally I purchaced it along with a 1TB drive for wireless storage. I will try the camera on it though.