Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-03-2020, 11:25 AM
foc (Ross)

Mars and Jupiter 18 March

Hi, perhaps I should have put this in the beginners area.

Just want to alert solar system enthusiasts, beyond the more experienced imagers who would already know this, that the planets are rising high enough (above 30 degrees) in the early morning hours before dawn to get decent images now (weather permitting).

I am not a particularly fine imager but even I managed to capture these images at close to 6am with my stock C8 fitted with 2.5x powermate and ZWO ASI224mc on my Celestron Alt Az EVO.

Saturn is also a good morning target now but shown here are Mars featuring Syrtis Major and Jupiter with Ganymede and Io's shadow.
Edit : Should note that I have increased size of the Mars image by x 1.33...Mars is still very small at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter and Ganymede 2020-03-17-1919_7-L-Jup_ZWO ASI224MC_Gain=352(off)_Exposure=7.png)
72.5 KB86 views
Click for full-size image (Mars showing Syrtis Major 2020-03-17-1840_4-L-Mars_ZWO ASI224MC_Gain=360(off)_Exposure=3.jpg)
5.2 KB91 views
Old 20-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Excellent resolution!!
Old 21-03-2020, 05:31 PM
foc (Ross)

Thanks very much for the compliment Colin. It has been a bit quiet for opportunities for imaging of the planets lately but that should pick up soon with the planets starting to give better windows for imagers. And it is always good to catch some early Mars images in case there is another very big dust storm this year.