Old 16-12-2014, 04:20 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

EOS 7D(isappointing)Mk2

On dpreview I saw a high ISO noise test of the new version of the EOS 7.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/11

So I am happy with my EOS 6, which performs one stop better that the 7Mk2 at high ISO. Even the (crop) Nikon D7000 performs better .....
I expected the 7Mk2 performed as good as the 6d: Ken Rockwell says 'as good as fullframe'.
Old 16-12-2014, 06:34 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Interesting page. Granted, the 7dII perhaps isn't as good as the 6d, but it has smaller pixels too.

What totally surprised me was the 6d vs. 5dIII. Given that they are supposed to have a similar sensor, I can't believe the 5dIII is that much worse. Must be a typo and it was in fact the 5dII they used ?

Anyway when you then compare the 5dIII with the 7dII on that particular test page, the 7dII holds up surprisingly well, so Ken Rockwell may well have a point here. Mind you I haven't read KR's review on this. It would be interesting to see the 7dII vs the 5dII. If those two were equal, I would certainly consider that an achievement.

The website you have linked also confirms that it was a good decision for me personally not to splurge on the Sony A7s. While it certainly is extremely good in low light, its 12MP sensor runs out of resolution fast when shooting 8mm circ fisheye, one of my favourite focal lengths. It also stands to reason a 6d image rendered down to the same resolution might not be that far behind in terms of IQ. But for AP only, the Sony will be hard to pass.