Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 AM
gregbradley

APM/Lunt XWA eyepieces 110 degree

I am looking into various eyepieces as I am doing more visual.

Televue has a wide range and have always been good eyepieces in the past. It seems their range is divided up depending on the width of the field of view and also the weight and size.

I had a 13mm Ethos in the past and it was very good but its huge and heavy and expensive.

Anyone had experience with the various models of eyepieces from Televue?

Delites seem good value but less wide a view.

These Lunt/APM eyepieces seem to be a good value. Branding variants seem to compare well against the Ethos.

Anyone using there?

Greg.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I am looking into various eyepieces as I am doing more visual.

Televue has a wide range and have always been good eyepieces in the past. It seems their range is divided up depending on the width of the field of view and also the weight and size.

I had a 13mm Ethos in the past and it was very good but its huge and heavy and expensive.

Anyone had experience with the various models of eyepieces from Televue?

Delites seem good value but less wide a view.

These Lunt/APM eyepieces seem to be a good value. Branding variants seem to compare well against the Ethos.

Anyone using there?

Greg.
Hi Greg
Was wondering myself seems owners are very happy though, even previous Ethoi owners..
Some discussions on stargazers..
The 20mm Ive heard is very very good.
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...omment-3447823.
Rebranded as Lunt APM Stellervue and TS.
May just buy 1 to try anyhow, soon.
Bigjoe
Old 08-09-2019, 01:41 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I have the Stellarvue Optimus 4.7 110deg and must say it's excellent looks very much like the Ethos SX and from the odd review i have seen it performs very similar for a lot less coin and you know that quality control at Stellarvue is going to be excellent, Took a punt when i bought it but was more than happy sharp across fov but really excels at Luna viewing had some amazing views there.....
Old 08-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Wavytone

Greg what scope are you using ? Many eyepieces suit a particular type of scope (ie refractors, SCT or dobs) better than others.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Greg what scope are you using ? Many eyepieces suit a particular type of scope (ie refractors, SCT or dobs) better than others.
At the moment its a 105mm F6 APO but also have a 17 inch CDK and an AP Honders astrograph ( more designed for imaging but I presume it should be respectable for some visual). The Honders is 1160mm focal length (F3.8), the APO is 630mm (F6), the CDK is 2936mm (F6.8).

I might end up getting a C11 or C9.25 for doing visual with as well as SCTs are great for that.

Greg.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:29 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
I have the Stellarvue Optimus 4.7 110deg and must say it's excellent looks very much like the Ethos SX and from the odd review i have seen it performs very similar for a lot less coin and you know that quality control at Stellarvue is going to be excellent, Took a punt when i bought it but was more than happy sharp across fov but really excels at Luna viewing had some amazing views there.....
Do you think there is any difference between the Stellarvue ones and the APM ones? It seems like they are the same eyepiece. Would Stellarvue do anything to these or simply rebadge them?

APM is US$129 cheaper for what appears to be the same eyepiece.

TS also sell them. I see William Optics selling them the cheapest at US$198. APM want $245 for the 3.7mm

https://williamoptics.com/products/eye-pieces/xwa

https://astromart.com/classifieds/as...in-stock-again

These from TS seem a little different and are similar in price to the WO versions:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...-Eyepiece.html

Greg.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:19 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I can only give you advice on what I’ve seen with my own eyes and for it to stay in my eyepiece collection with the ones that are there the Stellarvue has to be able to perform as I want it to and it does razor sharp to the edge the other brands you have mentioned I have had no interaction with so can’t comment I just like how Vic Maris at Stellarvue is an absolute stickler for quality control as is Al Nagler and how I see it more rejections for imperfections means a higher premium, I don’t mind lending you mine for 2 weeks to check it out it’s the only way you will know I live in Sydney and as long as you pick up and drop back off in 2 weeks I have no problem with that
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
I can only give you advice on what I’ve seen with my own eyes and for it to stay in my eyepiece collection with the ones that are there the Stellarvue has to be able to perform as I want it to and it does razor sharp to the edge the other brands you have mentioned I have had no interaction with so can’t comment I just like how Vic Maris at Stellarvue is an absolute stickler for quality control as is Al Nagler and how I see it more rejections for imperfections means a higher premium, I don’t mind lending you mine for 2 weeks to check it out it’s the only way you will know I live in Sydney and as long as you pick up and drop back off in 2 weeks I have no problem with that
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind offer but I agree with your view and I also would rather pay a bit extra for QC.

I really only want 2, the 4.7mm and the 20mm. So its not a lot extra.

Greg.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Aren’t they made by Meade? Not that means anything, other than making it easier to find more reviews. BICBW