Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 25-11-2011, 09:01 PM
philip58

how to combine stacking sessions AndromedaM31

Hi,
I am a relative beginner in astrophotography but I think getting there with lots of help.
I am working on imaging m31 andromeda.
My problem is i need to stack over more than one night to obtain a better image of andromeda. Unfortunately i have to bring in my mount, camera and telescope every night and reset again the next session.

I was wondering what others do to ensure the camera is aligned in the same position and andromeda is in the correct place on the image as it was on the imaging from the previous session.

I use dss for stacking and BYEOS for capturing the images.

Philip
Old 25-11-2011, 10:09 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Phillip

It obviously helps if you can leave your gear set up for a few nights if the weather behaves and security is ok. Cove with tarp etc as required. Failing that, next best best is to mark the ground in someway and don't adjust your tripod legs, etc.

To get the same field, helps if you can get the camera aligned - I find a digital level handy to get my camera to the position angle I want. More complex is to use plate solving to get the same field every night, but you can do the same thing just by manually comparing your field to the pics you got the night before of course.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Plate solving is the best way to get the image in the same spot night after night.

If you use MaxIm/DL to capture in FITS format, then, you can embed the RA/Dec coordinates in the FITS header of the image after using the built-in PinPoint LE, and go back night after night to the same spot on the sensor, automagically.

H