Old 25-03-2021, 06:26 PM
Asela (Asela)

Nikon D5100 for AP?

Hi All,

Does anyone use or has used Nikon D5100 for AP with a telescope? If so, could you please let me know any tips and/or tricks? I know the camera is not favored by experienced people but just trying to use the DSLR that I have at home before I spend some more $$ for one.

Thanks in advance
Old 26-03-2021, 08:29 AM
evltoy (Wayne)

Hey Asela,

I'm currently using my 2007 Nikon D80 (CCD) for astrophotography and like yourself I was only using it as I wanted to repurpose the camera as it was just sitting in the cupboard.

I have had some positive comments about my images from the D80, but the biggest difference between the D80 and D5100 would be your camera is an old CMOS sensor but has double MP.

Saying this... I'm currently looking for a secondhand D5200-D5300 as they do video, have live view but the big tick for me is they are fully supported to work with APT which I wanted to start using.

I say give it a crack and see how it turns out... what have you got to lose. If the images came out crap (doubt it), well use the time to learn about AP until you get a better camera.

Basic setup I would start with;
- first turn off all the NR and fancy features. Make the camera as basic as possible
- Set the camera to Manual and use the BULB setting
- set ISO around 800-1600
- Set White balance to Daylight
- Try the inbuilt 30sec exposure (this exposure time will be based on your target and light pollution in your area)

I hope this helps you out
Cheers
Wayne
Old 26-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Asela (Asela)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Hey Asela,

I'm currently using my 2007 Nikon D80 (CCD) for astrophotography and like yourself I was only using it as I wanted to repurpose the camera as it was just sitting in the cupboard.

I have had some positive comments about my images from the D80, but the biggest difference between the D80 and D5100 would be your camera is an old CMOS sensor but has double MP.

Saying this... I'm currently looking for a secondhand D5200-D5300 as they do video, have live view but the big tick for me is they are fully supported to work with APT which I wanted to start using.

I say give it a crack and see how it turns out... what have you got to lose. If the images came out crap (doubt it), well use the time to learn about AP until you get a better camera.

Basic setup I would start with;
- first turn off all the NR and fancy features. Make the camera as basic as possible
- Set the camera to Manual and use the BULB setting
- set ISO around 800-1600
- Set White balance to Daylight
- Try the inbuilt 30sec exposure (this exposure time will be based on your target and light pollution in your area)

I hope this helps you out
Cheers
Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I was hoping to do the same and just start trying as I'm aware not many would be using an old DSLR as me but it's always good to give it a try.

I've also done some reading on online forums and have seen people say that the D5100 needs to be patched with an old firmware 1.01(link below) so that the dark mode is enabled, do you happen to have any knowledge about this?
https://nikonhacker.com/wiki/Patchin...K6s6Qv3XtXzGNI

The firmware 1.01 is an old one which I think I've managed to find online but thought I'd check if someone else has an understanding if this needs to be done or if I could skip it before I do something I cannot take back .

Cheers
Asela
Old 26-03-2021, 01:08 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Take care with FW updates especially if you rolling back a version as you could possibly brick the camera... not saying it will happen to you. If you are updating upwards care must still be taken, but the risk IMO is less.

Not sure on how to update nor know much about the "dark mode" feature. There should be Utube vids on how do do this. Try shooting without the dark mode feature and see how it goes before updating
Old 26-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Wayne.
Look at the d5300 not the 5200.
I have both. The 5200 uses a Toshiba sensor which for AP is garbage.
The Sony sensor in the 5300 does a much better job.
Old 29-03-2021, 01:28 PM
Asela (Asela)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Not sure on how to update nor know much about the "dark mode" feature. There should be Utube vids on how do do this. Try shooting without the dark mode feature and see how it goes before updating
That's my plan too once I'm ready, will see how things go.

Cheers