Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
bloodhound31

How do rules change? (City Buildings)

Hi everyone, I was thinking of going out to have a crack at city buildings, icons and architecture.

I have been doing a lot of low light, macro, landscape and astrophotography.

Two more types I want to master are Buildings and Architecture, and People. I have no idea what to look for in this regard other than good lighting.

Short-list of any rule changes or advice that stands out?

Much appreciated.

Baz.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:14 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Buildings - wide lenses. Distortion will really be noticeable because of all the straight lines. Just be conscious of it, you can use it to your advantage. Alternatively you can get software that corrects the distortions, but often you'll need to crop the image down a bit so make sure you leave a bit of a border so nothing of interest gets cropped. You'll see why tilt-shift lenses are used for architecture/buildings.

Same rules apply. Rule of third, leading lines etc. These are photography principles, not just landscape etc. You'll find lots of leading lines with buildings.

Probably try portrait orientation for tall buildings? Not sure.

People - man I really need to practise this myself. I'm no expert at it. Lighting very, very important. Pose too. Focus on the eyes. Still, rules of thirds typically, make sure they're facing into the frame, unless there's something compositionally beneficial for them facing out (eg using negative space for effect).

Useful tips for posing:
http://lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/index.html
http://jzportraits.home.att.net/

Hope that all makes sense.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Careful when photographing buildings -- you don't want to get arrested. There's some nasty videos on YouTube showing people getting hassled for simply practising their photography.

RB has been hassled in the past when shooting the Opera House/in the city, as well.

H
Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Yeah, I've been hassled photographing both buildings and people.

In London, walking up and down the Thames shooting everything from the Tower Bridge, London Eye, Millenium Bridge, all the icons and millions of tourists photographing them all year around. Couple of cops bailed me up as I was shooting Parliament House/Big Ben. I was on the far side of the river with a wide-angle lens doing a landscape shot and they were concerned I was a terrorist? You could get more detailed information standing on the footpath right under it with a mobile phone camera. They were cool and left me alone when they saw what I was shooting.

Also got hassled by security guards shooting people out the front of a Wallabies game. I was doing a photography course and the mandate was "Patriotism". I was in a public place and well within my rights. Still got hassled.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
bloodhound31

Thanks blokes. A bit late for this thread I know, as you have now seen my first attempt.

Baz.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

RB has been hassled in the past when shooting the Opera House/in the city, as well.

H
Yeah, but he looks naughty.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

photographers rights

Here's an NSW interpretation. Elsewhere YMMV.

http://www.artslaw.com.au/legalinfor...hersRights.asp
Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
bloodhound31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Here's an NSW interpretation. Elsewhere YMMV.

http://www.artslaw.com.au/legalinfor...hersRights.asp
A VERY good read. Thanks for posting that. It's good to know your rights and the rights of others.

Baz.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

It mentions NSW a lot, but much of those are good "rules of thumb" for elsewhere in Australia based on my (limited) understanding on the law relating to photography. I read up a bit on it after my above-mentioned hassles. If you stuck to the advice in that link, you'd be right in most states of Australia.

Other countries is another thing. I know when I was in Dubai, you are warned not to shoot women at all. That would be borne from religious beliefs, but may be a legal requirement in predominantly Muslim countries. I just didn't shoot people at all while there, just to be safe. And Dubai is one of the more Western-tolerant Middle-Eastern countries.

Street photography is the genre of photography I am most uncomfortable with, and see it as the most likely time to get hassled - parents thinking you're shooting their kids, hot-heads not wanting their photo taken etc. Not to mention hanging out in a busy city with thousands of dollars worth of cameras, lenses etc making you a bit of a target for mugging.

Macro, astro, landscape, animals for me all the way.