Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-11-2014, 06:22 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

Hang mans Pier

In my obs I've got about two and a half hours past the meridan before the shed gets in the way and usually in the wee hours a decision has to be made as to flip or go to bed. Bed usually wins as flipping involved waiting, re-acquisition and re-focusing. I tried software to control it all but that involved software talking to software talking to software and it was just one level of complexity too far for me. As I get older I think I'm becoming anti-software or grumpier, probably both. Decided a pier that allowed the rear end of the scope to tuck under it would do the job. It needed to be stiff so 150mm x 75mm mild steel C channel was chosen. With three sets of it side by side and welded together it ended up looking like a hang mans platform hence the name. Had to put a shim under one end to get the top leveled and the mount has a spacer underneath to clamp it down. Trimmed the control panels from the old pier to fit and simply lay the against the back. Now I've got to align it but once that's done I'm good for 6-7 hours straight from east to west.
Cost-steel supplied and cut $480
welder and kit $200

Cheers
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
151.6 KB130 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
132.6 KB114 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
201.2 KB112 views
Click for full-size image (plan.jpg)
199.0 KB78 views
Old 28-11-2014, 12:27 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Stephen,

Clever, clever lad!

Took me a little time to figure out what was going on. I looked at the pics first before reading the blurb - thought you were using an RSJ beam at first. That only confused me more when the geometry didn't add up!

But using the C Channel the way you have, you've employed the same mechanical advantages of an RSJ. That thing ain't going nowhere!

You've overcome a major situation problem of yours in a very neat manner. And I like how you've fitted it out to handle some wiring.

Sensational piece, Stephen.
Old 28-11-2014, 08:23 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Very nice, I notice that at least where I live I seem to alway get stuck at meridian, although I don't mind software there is a limit.

Well done
Old 28-11-2014, 09:08 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Really nice
When you say welder and kit does that mean you did the welding or got it done by a pro?
I like the sentiment on software....KISS is where I'm at right now!
Matt
Old 28-11-2014, 09:16 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Excellent stuff Stephen. Quite the handy man.
Old 28-11-2014, 05:24 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hi Stephen,

Clever, clever lad!

Took me a little time to figure out what was going on. I looked at the pics first before reading the blurb - thought you were using an RSJ beam at first. That only confused me more when the geometry didn't add up!

But using the C Channel the way you have, you've employed the same mechanical advantages of an RSJ. That thing ain't going nowhere!

You've overcome a major situation problem of yours in a very neat manner. And I like how you've fitted it out to handle some wiring.

Sensational piece, Stephen.
Thanks Alexander. Methinks aluminium next time. Almost had a hernia moving it into position!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Very nice, I notice that at least where I live I seem to alway get stuck at meridian, although I don't mind software there is a limit.

Well done
Thanks Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Really nice
When you say welder and kit does that mean you did the welding or got it done by a pro?
I like the sentiment on software....KISS is where I'm at right now!
Matt
Thanks Matthew. I used the project as an excuse to buy a gasless mig welder (always wanted one) and did it myself. Learnt a lesson though. Don't buy cheap wire from ebay. The professional stuff works better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Excellent stuff Stephen. Quite the handy man.
Thanks Marc

Cheers all