Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Darwins_monkey (Brad)

Dagnamit!

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to head out into the wilds of WA last week - well, Williams to be precise. We were only there for a night and I had planned on getting a few photos of the night sky. I had lugged my camera and tripod all the way from VIC just for this occasion.

I found the perfect spot; an outcrop of granite boulders on a hill to give a bit of contrast. It was crystal clear night and so I set everything up, turned on the camera only to be greeted with the message "Insert SD card"....buggerit! I left the blasted thing back in Melbourne!

So rookie mistake #1. Always check your equipment before you leave the house!

Still kicking myself!
Old 25-11-2014, 12:47 PM
CJ (Chris)

I've had that happen to me too. But in my case it was one of my sons who hadn't put it back!
Old 25-11-2014, 01:00 PM
grasshopper (Tara)

Oh nooooooo!!! How frustrating!
Old 25-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Darwins_monkey (Brad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
I've had that happen to me too. But in my case it was one of my sons who hadn't put it back!
Oooh. I bet someone got a stern talking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Oh nooooooo!!! How frustrating!
Actually, the whole trip was frustrating from an astronomical point of view. In addition to this little hiccup, I also wanted to watch the sun set over the western ocean (it may seem trivial, but coming from the east coast I've only ever seen the sun rise over the ocean). First attempt we were down at Scarboro and the sun set perfectly behind Rottnest Island (d'oh!). The next time the clouds came in over the horizon in time to block the view (double d'oh!).

I gave up and went to the pub.
Old 25-11-2014, 02:05 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwins_monkey View Post
First attempt we were down at Scarboro and the sun set perfectly behind Rottnest Island (d'oh!). The next time the clouds came in over the horizon in time to block the view (double d'oh!).

I gave up and went to the pub.
Ah, clouds are our worst enemy! They are always there when there is an event or you buy a new eyepiece or... when you are on holiday and want to see something special, like a sunset...

When there was the sun eclipse here at the end of April I was excited, went to check a location, went there 1 hour before the event even if it was close... Perfectly clear skies. Then the eclipse started and the attached image is all I could see before the sun disappeared behind clouds until the end of the eclipse.... See that tiny black arc? It was just to whet my appetite... (The moon eclipses were TOTALLY behind clouds.)
Sorry about the SD card!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1826b.JPG)
23.7 KB39 views
Old 27-11-2014, 07:03 PM
acropolite (Phil)

annoying isn't it....

I always replace the card in my camera immediately after transferring files. I also leave the camera at the PC until the card is returned. I also have a few spare cards, they're literally cheap as chips.
Old 27-11-2014, 07:49 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
annoying isn't it....

I always replace the card in my camera immediately after transferring files. I also leave the camera at the PC until the card is returned. I also have a few spare cards, they're literally cheap as chips.
Depends on the camera Phil. Mine don't like cards that do less than 90MB/sec and at 30MB/image (25 for the RAW + 5 for the JPEG) 16GB cards don't last that long.
Old 28-11-2014, 01:56 AM
raymo

I never take the card out of my camera; just plug the camera into the
laptop, and erase the images on the card once I have them safely on the laptop, and backed up elsewhere.
raymo
Old 28-11-2014, 07:18 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwins_monkey View Post
I also wanted to watch the sun set over the western ocean (it may seem trivial, but coming from the east coast I've only ever seen the sun rise over the ocean). First attempt we were down at Scarboro and the sun set perfectly behind Rottnest Island (d'oh!).
Not trivial at all But it was exactly the same for me many years ago. I think it's a joke they play on we East Coasters!
Old 28-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Darwins_monkey (Brad)

Thanks for all the words of support and advice. I'm slowly getting over it.

A friend just gave me some excellent advice to prevent this from happening ever again: carry a MicroSD to SD adapter in my wallet so I can use my phone's MicroSD. As my wallet also happens to be my phone case, this would be perfect in a pinch

Cheers,
Brad
Old 28-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Marios (Marios)

Happened to me as well super annoying luckily I was prepared for visual as well so..
Old 28-11-2014, 05:49 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

I drove from Newcastle NSW to the Flinders ranges. Part of the reason was to experience the clear skies there. I found I had left the screw in steel rod that supports the counterweights at home! Still had a great trip but it could have been even better. Before my next trip with the scope I did a trial set up in the living room and tested it before I packed up just to make sure I had every nut, bolt, cable, mount part, optical device and electronic gadget.
Old 28-11-2014, 09:21 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Quote:
I also leave the camera at the PC
me to,, then move it outha way to really nail home stupidity trumps everything in embracing technology
Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM
SA_Dolphin_22 (Tony)

Afternoon, Can totally agree, except mine was equip checked Monday prior to Dark site Astro Camp North of Flinders Ranges Adelaide and only to discover my darling daughter decided to remove the camera and take her own shots and not place things back, so yes 5 lenses and assoc gear(weight felt correct) but alas no camera
Doh was not the words I used....all I could do was thankfully a mate had a 2nd camera so now it's processing time again so back to the world of ..
Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Ah ha, 100km one way to a dark site, it was magic!! Perfect seeing. Scope set up and ready to go...
Um..., where's my eyepiece case....
I SAID...., WHERE'S MY FRIGGING EYEPIECE CASE!!!

sob sob.... found the scotch. Felt a bit better after that.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Wavytone

LOL there's something to be said for one bloody big box that holds it all !

Admittedly over what... 40 years I've left something vital at home maybe 2-3 times but thankfully never left anything important on the field when packing up. I know some who have.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Today I made a bad mistake too! I went to the Botanic Garden with my TravelScope.... and had everything, including the solar filter.... BUT it was just before midday and of course the sun was at its highest and it was difficult to point at it... So I just had a look at branches, leaves etc. Interesting too. That baby scope is pretty good for the price.