ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-12-2014, 03:00 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Sirius 2.3m Observatory freight.

Hi,

I am looking in to the possibility of purchasing a second hand Sirius 2.3m observatory, but it is in Sydney. The company Sirius themselves use to transport them reckoned around $1900! That's crazy and more than it cost me to fly my 152mm from the UK. I could transport a Steinway piano from New York for less than that!

I am trying to ascertain if this is a viable proposition or not. it is not on a pallet at the moment and needs to get to Brisbane. Does anyone know what the options are? It is even difficult to get quotes because I can't answer the basic questions about size and weight - or even how many separate pieces it would be.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 15-12-2014, 06:24 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Chris,

How about hiring a van and doing the drive down to collect it? Couldn't cost more than $500 or so with hire and fuel.

Or have you got a mate with a van or ute? The Sirius is not that large.
Old 15-12-2014, 07:13 PM
netwolf

Try truckit.net to get a quote from various providers. I was quoted 800-900 from Adelaide to Sydney but did not go ahead as did not have the finances. There maybe other similar sites to get quotes like this from. Sirius did suggest a company that ships boats and they had quoted 1200-1400. The other options is to ask them to bring and hold it at there depot in Brisbane and you collect from there that might save you some dollars also.
Old 15-12-2014, 10:42 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks, I did think of that, but just wasn't sure how big a truck I might need and whether I would actually manage to drive a truck of the requisite size, but perhaps it doesn't need to be so big after all? I have since learned too that the dome does in fact come in two halves.

Now, there is another question though. Would the 2.3m actually be big enough for my 152mm scope? All told I reckon the full extent with camera and everything would be at least 1.8m. Could it swing around in all angles allowed by the GEM?

Chris
Old 15-12-2014, 11:00 PM
h0ughy (David)

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...me+rockhampton if i can do this in three days then sydney is a breeze
Old 16-12-2014, 01:51 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Now, there is another question though. Would the 2.3m actually be big enough for my 152mm scope? All told I reckon the full extent with camera and everything would be at least 1.8m. Could it swing around in all angles allowed by the GEM?

Chris
I measured it up and I reckon 1400mm is about right as the upper length to ensure that an off-centre scope misses everything with confidence. You can get longer, but not by a whole lot. Measure the scope - I doubt its much longer than that. By my simple calcs you have a 1200mm fl then dewshield at the front, camera at the back 1500mm max? That'll fit!

Measure it up then we will hang it off mine if its close

Its possible to go a little longer with a non automated shutter due to the opening mechanism not requiring the screw arm, but even then it's possinle to park the scope before the dome...
Old 16-12-2014, 09:11 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

As Houghy shows, it's not very large when disassembled (or even assembled really - I have heard of people moving them ASSEMBLED). Trailer like Houghy shows, or a minivan or even a ute will do it. Some el-cheapo car rentals will do utes for as low as $19 a day (local one does OFF season)

BUT, your scope may be the issue next. Better sort that before even considering the purchase...
Old 16-12-2014, 09:35 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Agreed, I'm sold on the idea of going to collect it, but have some serious doubts about fitting the telescope in. Fortunately, I can nip across to Jonathan's place and try it out That's the obvious next step.

I can't afford even a second hand 3.5m and anyway it is too big. The only other option then is something like the scopedome 3m offering from Poland. Anyone actually got one? Any good?
Old 18-12-2014, 11:24 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Agreed, I'm sold on the idea of going to collect it, but have some serious doubts about fitting the telescope in. Fortunately, I can nip across to Jonathan's place and try it out That's the obvious next step.

I can't afford even a second hand 3.5m and anyway it is too big. The only other option then is something like the scopedome 3m offering from Poland. Anyone actually got one? Any good?
Yep check out your scope fits in an already setup Sirius 2.3m (using the actual scope or a tape measure) and then go pull it down and pick it up in a trailer, the bigger the better. The 2.3m breaks down into curved manageable sections that stack nicely with blankets in between, build the stack like a lasagna tying off every 2 or three layers and then an overall strap and and Bob's ya uncle, as Houghy proves it can travel 1000's km like this short moves allow it to go in two pieces even

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Observatory on the move1.jpg)
132.2 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (Observatory on the move2.jpg)
133.6 KB52 views
Old 18-12-2014, 12:41 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
build the stack like a lasagna tying off every 2 or three layers
Mike
LOL, Galileo would be proud !

Old 20-12-2014, 05:41 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks everyone, unfortunately it is now all rather academic as I didn't get the one I was watching in ebay.

So, anyone selling in Brisbane? I have been in touch too with the guys in Poland who produce the scope dome. They sound pretty good, but buying new is a very different financial proposition!

Chris
Old 20-12-2014, 06:31 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
LOL, Galileo would be proud !

Mangiare!

Bad luck Chris