Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 15-09-2014, 03:24 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Excellent. The hard case looks nice. I had to buy the case separately when I got mine.

How's your weather looking for tonight?
Old 15-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Excellent. The hard case looks nice. I had to buy the case separately when I got mine.

How's your weather looking for tonight?
Hi Morton yeh the case is very nice the weather is not a problem as I don't have a mount yet looking for one but the purse strings are now tight for a while. Looking for a HEQ 5 hope to pick a good second hand one up here when one becomes available
Old 15-09-2014, 05:34 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I want a 1/2 pier for my heq5. Bintel only seem to stock eq6 ones though
Old 17-09-2014, 09:10 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc View Post
Hi Morton yeh the case is very nice the weather is not a problem as I don't have a mount yet looking for one but the purse strings are now tight for a while. Looking for a HEQ 5 hope to pick a good second hand one up here when one becomes available
How frustrating!!!
Old 17-09-2014, 11:38 PM
starfire (Julian)

Great looking scope Dave, l can't wait to see it and look through it up at my place soon, Julian.
Old 18-09-2014, 05:56 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Talk to Claude at AEC , I think he still has some Vixen ones that will fit , they have the same sized hole at 60mm .
Brian/
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
I want a 1/2 pier for my heq5. Bintel only seem to stock eq6 ones though
Old 18-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Talk to Claude at AEC , I think he still has some Vixen ones that will fit , they have the same sized hole at 60mm .
Brian/
Astro-Shop stock the Viven ones too
Old 13-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

First light with the SV 110.

Hi all,
So out with the SV 110 for the first time finally under the stars, observing from nice rural dark skies but light glow to the north. Windy night and seeing was not great. Moon to rise around 12.30am local time. I have not had a scope out in the field for many years so I was pretty rusty to say the least, my setting up was ok but my alignment skills where poor and slow so it took me many goes to get my HEQ5 to work but we did get there, I was observing with a friend who has a AP 130.
We are not there to compere scopes as both are different beasts and the AP is a super scope. The 110 is what it is a nice easy set up ED and as you know not a high end APO. I will say a little on the 110. It has false colour easy to see on Rigel say or Sirius and when I looked at the Moon some weeks ago you could see the on the limb of the Moon but it’s not the bad on the Moon. But I brought this scope for its ability for portability and good aperture and BV friendly which it is.
Now onto the viewing with the BV which is a Denk power switch I use the OCS at the bottom the BV to get to use the power switch modes 3 different powers. I use 19 mm Pano’s. Sorry I don’t know the exact magnifications as the focal length of the scope will have changed with the 55mm extender and then the use of the OCS.
I could not quite get all of the Pleiades in the low power field of view but nearly! Orion Nebula was a treat in all three power modes and at moments you can just see the E star pop into view of the Trapezium in the high power mode. If seeing was better this would have been easily achieved.
NGC 253 was a beautiful object best at the medium power range just an island universe floating in space. 47 Tuc to me the best Globular cluster in the sky was outstanding just diamonds in the sky.
The Large and Small Magellanic clouds just a treat to seep around at low power clusters and nebula and the Tranatula Nebula is just beautiful at any power in the BV really is so 3D like it just draws you in you can just look at it and lose yourself there.
But if you think that is good nothing compares to mighty Eta Carina Nebula to me this stands alone as the greatest Nebula in the sky even though it was low in the south east it is just and amazing sight and in the 110 it captures it very well with the BV low power WOW
So have I seen all this before yes! Many times in many scopes and in big Newts but that is not the point. This scope the little 110 SV ED is it any good? Well yes for what it is and BV friendly easy to manage and I will use it way more than any bigger scope and that’s the point.
My Lunt solar wedge will arrive in a week or so and I will report on how that goes.
Happy viewing David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0803.JPG)
114.4 KB47 views
Old 13-12-2014, 02:35 PM
starfire (Julian)

Last nights observing session.

Hi Dave, it was really great observing again last night after a long break. l really enjoyed looking through your new telescope with the binoveiwers. Orion nebula, carina nebula and other objects looked great, pity the seeing wasn't the best,as well as the wind. Even the poor seeing conditions was affecting the veiws through my Astro-Physics 130mm f/8.35 refractor, as images looked soft. Can't wait till we can look through my 18'' obsession again at all those faint galaxies and planetary nebula's, up there, thanks Julian.