Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-11-2012, 04:21 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Hey Manav.

From what I can see, you seem to settled on going with ATS. Would you mind PM'ing me the price they gave you for the G11?

Thanks
Old 22-11-2012, 09:56 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manav View Post
Its a G1 but the price is tempting. God what do I do?

Brendan is it worth splurging extra for the G2?
If you're really keen about the investment in the mount and with G2's ease of upgrading firmware etc, then G2 is the way.

I got mine last year and worth every cent. I don't have any lengthy experience with the G1 but G2 has so much connectivity straight out of the box with ethernet and good possibilities of easy and cheap remote setups.

I am looking into this remote operation seriously as I had not planned for my current job to take me out of the country so much and be away from home for weeks even months at a time.

G2 does have its quirks but I like it even after coming off an Autostar.

Good luck which ever way you do go!

Darrin...
Old 22-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Darrin - I will get the G2 once the tax payment comes through. My biggest concern is making sure I get a mount ready out of box. I will talk to ATS next week about this and keep an eye on classifieds.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:55 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Its a G1 but the price is tempting. God what do I do?

Brendan is it worth splurging extra for the G2?

Wow I didn't see that mount for sale...good price....probably same vintage as mine...2009. Very slick price...and for that you can upgrade to a G2 later and still be just under the cost of a new G11 G2.

Could even sell the G1 later (if you upgrade) making the $1k upgrade to a G2 even less.

Wow "is all I can say" $3K for a G11 G1 ....I repeat...wow!
Old 23-11-2012, 08:39 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Darrin - I will get the G2 once the tax payment comes through. My biggest concern is making sure I get a mount ready out of box. I will talk to ATS next week about this and keep an eye on classifieds.
I don't like to be negative but I bought brand new a G11/Gem 1 around four years ago and it was not "all right" straight out of the box. Both the Gemini and hand controller were faulty and were obviously not tested. The annoying part of it is that the agent made out as if I didn't know how to operate the Gemini operating system. The other annoying aspect is that the Gemini and hand controller were sent back at my expense for something that should have worked properly in the first instance. To add further insult I was sent a used hand contoller because it was known to work. PM me if you like to know who the agent is. I like to think this may have been an isolated instance however ....

On a positive note, the Gemini 1 is quite easy and intuitive to use once you have mastered the system. The Gemini 2 is just great and definitely is much better than the Gemini 1 but you have to weigh up the added expense for the new system. I recall G11's costing over $8000 some years ago and there has been a steady decline in prices till the present day. To be able to purchase a G11/Gemini 1 for around $3000 or less (albeit second hand) is a bargain. Of course the Gemini 2 is not a bad price either for a new one. The latest Gemini 2 has certainly devalued the G 1 considerably. I cannot understand why Losmandy couldn't have supplied the Gemini 2 at a far more reasonable price particularly as they have a long and loyal list of customers over the years.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

I heard of a similar case where the PEC was over 20 peak to peak the retailer said it was within operational limit. The said person went through loops to get their money back. I want to have a peace of mind that the kit works when I have spent that much money. PM sent

Brendan - I have sent the PM to the owner of the G11 ad asking a few questions.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
I heard of a similar case where the PEC was over 20 peak to peak the retailer said it was within operational limit. The said person went through loops to get their money back. I want to have a peace of mind that the kit works when I have spent that much money. PM sent
+1. Maybe the same case?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I finally get my Gemini G2!

I would also like to apologise for the clouds in Sydney... my bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (969126_10151717714789388_9046724_n.jpg)
47.1 KB28 views
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

So did you end up getting the opw block. Have you had a chance to measure your pe?
After I got the opw installed I got my PE down from 35 to 12, not great but can guide it out thankfully. My mount guides well now.

I hope you have a better result out of the box than I did.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
So did you end up getting the opw block. Have you had a chance to measure your pe?
After I got the opw installed I got my PE down from 35 to 12, not great but can guide it out thankfully. My mount guides well now.

I hope you have a better result out of the box than I did.
35 was pretty big to start with. 12's not bad as a difference but you should be a lot lower. Which program did you use to measure your PE and what camera/scope config?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Hi Marc

I used pem pro to do the measurements, and used my guide scope orion st80 and a meade dsi II. Image scale is about 4 arc seconds pp.

Cheers
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Hi Marc

I used pem pro to do the measurements, and used my guide scope orion st80 and a meade dsi II. Image scale is about 4 arc seconds pp.

Cheers
Cool. The drop in PE is definitely because of the worm block but the bulk of your PE is clearly coming from somewhere else. Have you tried swapping the gearboxes and motors between RA and DEC ans see if it changes anything. Next you can change the gear. Put the DEC in RA and vice versa then take measurements each time. Can you posta pic of your worm including coupling etc...
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

on a side note while Marc helps out; I haven't actually checked my PE and to be honest I'm still trying to figure out the how to use Gemini 2. Early days yet...and yes I got Matthew from T&A to install the OPWB.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:45 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

No worries Yugant, have you got pem pro?

Personally, I haven't bothered with the gemini. I only use it as an interface to The Sky X pro.
Here is my set up for the G11.

G11-Ethernet-pc-gemini ascom- The Sky X pro for brains and plate solving and PHD for guiding.

I'd highly recommend, if you don't have The Sky X to get it as well as the camera add on. With the two of these pointing is a breeze. It's very accurate and easy. You just slew to a star, doesn't matter if it makes it as long as is with in 8 fields of view, image link the image in TSX (that's plate solve speak in TSX) sync on the linked image if plate solve was successful, then re slew to the object and bang, centre of the chip pretty much every time. It's very impressive and the support for the TSX on the forum the best customer support I've seen, ever.

If you haven't already make sure you update the gemini ASAP, the latest build is quite stable. There is an update software that makes the the whole process much easier. Make sure you have both the gemini and the gemini ascom up to date because if they are not both current they don't play we'll together.

Marc, I'll tackle the remaining PE in due time. I have it working pretty well now and with all that I've been through to get it to this stage I don't have the energy for it, but its on my list of things to do....soon. I'll pm you when I'm ready to start, your help would much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Hi Sandy - I have a slightly different setup to yours only because I purchased my software a while back. I'm currently connected to Gemini 2 using Ethernet to laptop and using the following software:

1. Stellarium scope for Gemini 2 (Which I haven't had chance to test yet) - http://cooledpix.com/2012/05/09/g11-gemini-ii-ascom/
2. Will use PHD for guiding and drift alignment
3. Will use nebulosity for post processing

I have downloaded PEMPRO and have no idea how to use it so will probably target this first when the skies clear.

Let us know when you start addressing your PE issues. Would love to understand what drove your PE so high.

Regards
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Marc, I'll tackle the remaining PE in due time. I have it working pretty well now and with all that I've been through to get it to this stage I don't have the energy for it, but its on my list of things to do....soon. I'll pm you when I'm ready to start, your help would much appreciated.
Any deviation in PE in excess of 20 arc sec over one revolution you can feel by winding the worm by hand or a small screw driver. Something that big is to do with the worm or the meshing. Bad bearings will only give you noise and the occasional pop but the worm accounts for most of your PE. You should be well within +/-10 out of the box without PEC with proper meshing and good alignment.
Old 15-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Raydar (Ray Palmer)
Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
I don't like to be negative but I bought brand new a G11/Gem 1 around four years ago and it was not "all right" straight out of the box. Both the Gemini and hand controller were faulty and were obviously not tested. The annoying part of it is that the agent made out as if I didn't know how to operate the Gemini operating system. The other annoying aspect is that the Gemini and hand controller were sent back at my expense for something that should have worked properly in the first instance. To add further insult I was sent a used hand contoller because it was known to work. PM me if you like to know who the agent is. I like to think this may have been an isolated instance however ....
G'day Steve,

This is probably irelavent now but what you have explained above is exactly what happened to me with my hand controller. Didn't work, got told I needed more practice, still didn't work, sent it back at my expense got a second hand one back, lol.

A few years later purchased two Maxon motors, got second hand ones (no box, just bubble wrap, motors were dirty and dusty; at least wipe them and pretend they are new).

I'm reading this thread because I am currently modifying my G11. I haven't tested it yet but I think the Maxon motor is the culprit.

Ray