Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-06-2019, 06:58 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Apparently some are recycled from Tesla cars as the current demand in the cars is more or less explosive and in the case of a powerwall setup, much more gentle so a battery that is no good in a car is still fine for many years in a less demanding application.
I'm not sure if they stream their production units based on tested capacity (like CPU chips) but I had thought the move into Powerwalls was mostly to keep their Giga (battery) factory production volume above the economic threshold while they wait for EV demand to catch up.
Old 21-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Exactly what my solar installer said. The LG panels are good, as are others , however anyone saying their panels are Tier 1 or European is immediately suspect.

The projects I have designed which involved solar and AC used an earth sourced heat pump for the AC. So it can run all day on solar and heat or cool the house with 20% of the energy required for air sourced systems and turn off at night. It is a very stable temperature under the ground where on a hot day or a cold day you are fighting an expensive thermal problem.

Or leave town for the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Good to hear. One other word of warning. Our first installer said we'd be getting "tier one" PV panels....which means absolutely nothing when it comes to performance. The Q cells we ended up getting from them are VERY average
with low solar incidence angles, (winter) and only deliver 50% of their rated output this time of year.

LG's newest panels (as on our northern roof) are awesome. They have excellent overcast/low angle performance (80%) and if you are offered anything else say NO. Cheaper Chinese PV panels simply don't cut it IMHO.