Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Nagler T4 22mm Fantastic eyepiece

Bought one of these from iis recently thinking it would compliment my 31mm Nagler and after giving it a workout this evening was pleasantly surprised how good this eyepiece is and can understand now why so many claim it's the best ep they have viewed through not the case for myself but it's darn close.
Viewing though a 100mm refractor contrast was excellent and pinpoint stars across 95% plus of the fov with great color contrast on individual stars viewed, No issues with the instajust as some have had a moan about,I thought it important to write this review as it deserves the feedback.....
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 AM
Wilso

Yes Andrew it’s one of the most comfortable and easy to use eyepieces out there! I also highly recommended it.
Kunama put me onto the 22nagler years ago , it’s almost perfect in my Fsq/Tsa and one of my favourite all time eyepieces, so it won’t be leaving my kit anytime soon. The insta-just is a nice feature and makes this eyepiece very user friendly.

Interesting though I sold my 31nagler because of the size and weight even though it preforms equally as well. There’s a very entertaining read (boxing match) comparing the 31 and the Masu on CN, I’ll see if I can find the link for you.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-degree-at-f7/

Last edited by Wilso; 02-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Thanks Darren most appreciated
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I'll back the Masuyama 32mm @82* Degree any day ....I intend to get another one again in the not too distant future. ( Christmas )

It is ' sensational ' in a TAK FS78 @ f/8 .
Open Clusters are just gorgeous .... diamonds in the sky ...!!
Very nicely made ....reeks Quality.

Col
Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

It’s fov Col that i need I’ve come to the conclusion and too many people rate the Masuyamas highly for what you say not to carry some weight,I just bought the LE30mm very recently and is an excellent eyepiece lovely flat field excellent contrast but the fov I cannot live and so now will not even try anything under 82 degrees ,The only ep I have under that now is a Swarovski zoom that I’m thinking of offloading......
Old 03-06-2019, 10:59 AM
issdaol (Phil)

I have almost a full complement of Naglers.....Love the AFOV and they are a easy EP across both refractors and reflectors.

The 22 used to be my fav until I acquired a set of Denkmeier D21's ....while they dont have the same AFOV at 65 degree (Nagler 82) in the same scope under the same conditions and targets the Denk is much sharper and contrasty and more natural tone.

At least to my eyes anyway.....well worth giving them a try.

I won't be selling my Nagler 22 as I still appreciate the extra AFOV for general views.....but when I want to get into longer deeper detailed views I swap to the Denk
Old 03-06-2019, 11:25 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

The Denkmeier eyepiece is a somewhat hidden gem...
Old 04-06-2019, 10:46 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

I have had all 3 of the Nagler T4's for ages. The 17mm is also excellent, but a notch behind the Nikon NAV HW. The 17mm is possibly my most used eyepiece in my 14" and 18" scopes. The 22mm also gets plenty of airplay. I do find both the 17mm and 22mm T4's benefit significantly when used with a paracorr in any Newtonian faster than about F5.5

Cheers
John B
Old 24-06-2019, 07:55 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Had a quick look through my new scope tonight a TV76 and as John says a notch behind the Nikon Nav 17mm HW ,The 22mm t4 is not sharp right to the EOF but there is something magical about viewing through this ep and cannot quite understand what it is but extremely happy i bought it and is a keeper that's for sure and would recommend to all refractor users i have had many TeleVue ep's in my quest for what i want and this with the 31mm Nagler are perfect IMO
Old 28-06-2019, 05:29 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I like the fall into the view with this eyepiece its hard to describe

Sold it and bought another only ever done that with a czj ortho 6.
but I am pretty stupid so figure that in as well
Old 29-06-2019, 09:56 AM
opticjunkie (Peter)

I purchased my 22mm Nagler a few years ago from a member here and it is by far my favourite eyepiece. It has a contagious view which I can spend hours looking through. LOVE IT!!