Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

NASA – A Human Adventure exhibition, Queensland Museum, 15 March to 9 October 2019.

Oh boy – what a walk down memory lane.

I visited the Queensland Museum today to have a look at the "NASA – A Human Adventure" exhibition which runs from 15 March to 9 October 2019.

The entry fee is $21.00 for adults. It appears that to manage numbers and avoid overcrowding, entry is set at 20 min intervals (e.g. 10:00am, 10:20am, 10:40am, 11:00am, etc.) so you purchase a ticket for a specific entry time. However, you can stay all day if you want to.

The exhibition spans Floors 3 and 2 of the museum and you enter on Floor 3, work your way through that level before exiting and then descending to Floor 2 to continue your journey. Be warned that once you leave Floor 3, I understand that you cannot return on the same ticket after completing Floor 2.

Generally, the exhibition is quite dark and spotlights, etc. make it challenging to get good photos. I used a Canon EOS R with the RF 35mm F1.8 lens and had to take a couple of pano’s to fit some of the exhibits in.

Also, be aware of the shallow depth of focus when shooting wide open and make sure you focus on the object of interest and avoid letting a less important part of the scene that is closer to the camera from grabbing the AF point. No flash is allowed, so expect to be shooting at ISO800 to ISO6400 depending on the location and lighting.
  • #1 is towards the main entrance on Floor3.
  • #2 and #3 are of a Saturn V rocket, some 12-15 metres in total length.
  • #4 is a full-size copy of the Lunar Roving Vehicle first deployed on Apollo 15.
  • #5 is a full-size copy of a Gemini Capsule.
  • #6 is a full-size copy of an Apollo Command Module and it is much larger than I had expected.
  • #7 is a 1:1 cut away view of the interior of the Lunar Crew Module (the bit that landed on the moon).
  • #8 is a view of the flight deck of the Space Shuttle.
Well worth a visit – I was lucky and managed to get in before the parties of school children arrived.

https://space.qm.qld.gov.au/

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EOSR4724 Crop 1200.jpg)
174.0 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4745 Stack Crop 1200.jpg)
150.3 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4756 Crop 1200.jpg)
140.6 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4770 Crop 1200.jpg)
179.7 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4784 Crop 1200.jpg)
153.8 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4788 Crop 1200.jpg)
169.7 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4810-FS-Pano-Crop-1200.jpg)
198.2 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4837-Pano-Crop-1200.jpg)
184.6 KB60 views
Old 09-05-2019, 04:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Fantastic photos Dennis. The exhibition looks great. Geez that Gemini capsule looks pretty tiny. Just enough room to get in. They pretty much wear the capsule.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:53 PM
gary

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the heads-up and fabulous photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb
Geez that Gemini capsule looks pretty tiny. Just enough room to get in. They pretty much wear the capsule.
Even more remarkable Marc when you consider Borman and Lovell sat
in it for 14 days.

If you look inside through the open hatch of an Apollo Command module,
they aren't exactly roomy either and the wide-angled lens they used on
the TV cameras made it look much bigger than it is.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Going to astrofest again this year so I'll definitely go visit one of the days I'm up there. Shame they don't come down to Sydney.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi Denis,

Thanks for the heads-up and fabulous photos!

Even more remarkable Marc when you consider Borman and Lovell sat
in it for 14 days.

If you look inside through the open hatch of an Apollo Command module,
they aren't exactly roomy either and the wide-angled lens they used on
the TV cameras made it look much bigger than it is.
One of the russian guys at the same time, I forgot his name, said he nearly didn't make it back in. During the EVA something happened with the pressurisation of his suit and he couldn't fit through the hatch. His mate had to pull and shove him in the capsule before they could close the door again. Took over half hour and they were on track for re-entry.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
One of the russian guys at the same time, I forgot his name, said he nearly didn't make it back in. During the EVA something happened with the pressurisation of his suit and he couldn't fit through the hatch. His mate had to pull and shove him in the capsule before they could close the door again. Took over half hour and they were on track for re-entry.
Alexei Leonov on the first-ever spacewalk.

He had to bleed some of the air out of his spacesuit through a valve in order to be thin enough to get back in.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Fantastic photos Dennis. The exhibition looks great. Geez that Gemini capsule looks pretty tiny. Just enough room to get in. They pretty much wear the capsule.
Hah - if you think that Gemini was a little cramped...here is the single seater Mercury capsule...

And, compare this to the luxury of the Shuttle flight deck.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EOSR4779 Crop 1200.jpg)
175.4 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4837-Pano-Crop-1200.jpg)
184.6 KB38 views
Old 09-05-2019, 11:08 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hah - if you think that Gemini was a little cramped...here is the single seater Mercury capsule...

And, compare this to the luxury of the Shuttle flight deck.

Cheers

Dennis
Thanks for the pictures Dennis.

But would you rather be 5 hours on your own in Friendship 7 or
14 days breathing the air in Gemini 7 whilst your crew mate does
his daily waste dump in a plastic bag in the seat next to you?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Thanks for the pictures Dennis.

But would you rather be 5 hours on your own in Friendship 7 or
14 days breathing the air in Gemini 7 whilst your crew mate does
his daily waste dump in a plastic bag in the seat next to you?
Hmm, I've spent 48 hours continuously in a 1-man tent, without going outside, sheltering from bad weather and I know what was involved with that episode of being "imprisoned" in a small area. But I was alone at the time.

Here are a few more from the exhibition.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EOSR4818 Crop 1200.jpg)
179.7 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4759 Crop 1200.jpg)
158.8 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4735 Crop 1200.jpg)
163.3 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4726 Crop 1200.jpg)
171.0 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (EOSR4728 Crop 1200.jpg)
144.3 KB35 views
Old 10-05-2019, 07:39 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks for all that info Dennis. Is there secure parking on site at the museum? I booked for Friday 26th of July at 9:40am on my way up. I'll branch of my usual route from Warwick. I checked Google map and it says it's about a 2h drive to the museum. From there to Linville there are two ways to get to Kilcoy. Via Dayboro or Caboolture. Which one do your reckon is the better drive to get out of Brisbane?

PS: or maybe back track via Ipswich?
Old 10-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Shark6
Vixen Optics, Japan

Thanks Dennis for the great pics, I need to see this myself, looking into flights now!
Old 10-05-2019, 11:11 AM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Thanks for all that info Dennis. Is there secure parking on site at the museum? I booked for Friday 26th of July at 9:40am on my way up. I'll branch of my usual route from Warwick. I checked Google map and it says it's about a 2h drive to the museum. From there to Linville there are two ways to get to Kilcoy. Via Dayboro or Caboolture. Which one do your reckon is the better drive to get out of Brisbane?

Hi Marc

There is parking at Southbank in the Convention centre which is close to the museum.

Best route from there to astrofest will be via Caboolture as this is less windy road then going up through Dayboro. Would be much shorter then having to back track through to Blacksoil and then up the highway.

Brian
Old 10-05-2019, 11:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
Hi Marc

There is parking at Southbank in the Convention centre which is close to the museum.

Best route from there to astrofest will be via Caboolture as this is less windy road then going up through Dayboro. Would be much shorter then having to back track through to Blacksoil and then up the highway.

Brian
Thanks Brian, you're talking about the South Bank Parklands car park in little Stanley St? What's the city traffic like into Brisbane from Ipswich around 9:00am on a Friday. Should I factor time in for traffic jams?
PS: ok I see the one in George Croft Lane just next door.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:58 AM
brisen (Brian)

Yes, that this one of them close by. Been a while since I did the morning commute from Ipswich to the city, but it should be getting towards the tail end of the morning nightmare by that time of the morning. I always allow extra time though just in case.

Brian
Old 10-05-2019, 12:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
Yes, that this one of them close by. Been a while since I did the morning commute from Ipswich to the city, but it should be getting towards the tail end of the morning nightmare by that time of the morning. I always allow extra time though just in case.

Brian
No worries. I'l leave Warwick early. Looks like there's plenty to do around the museum, coffee shops, etc... Better come in early and wait while having a cuppa. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:

Marc

There is undercover parking below the museum / art gallery complex.

https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Visit+Us/Museum+Location

Access is via boom gates but anyone can walk through - you need a ticket to leave.

I have seen this car park FULL in the morning so no guarantees I'm afraid and Brisbane traffic between 7:00am and 9:00am can be heavy, especially if there is an accident or roadworks.

I see others have also chipped in with additional information.

It has been a while since I attended Astrofest and I used to either go via the Bruce Highway to Caboolture and then turn off for Woodford, or via the Ipswich Motorway then via Esk which is more scenic.

Both routes took me the same time, but I cannot vouch for current traffic conditions as I was last at Astrofest around 2006!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Marc

There is undercover parking below the museum / art gallery complex.

https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Visit+Us/Museum+Location

Access is via boom gates but anyone can walk through - you need a ticket to leave.

I have seen this car park FULL in the morning so no guarantees I'm afraid and Brisbane traffic between 7:00am and 9:00am can be heavy, especially if there is an accident or roadworks.

I see others have also chipped in with additional information.

It has been a while since I attended Astrofest and I used to either go via the Bruce Highway to Caboolture and then turn off for Woodford, or via the Ipswich Motorway then via Esk which is more scenic.

Both routes took me the same time, but I cannot vouch for current traffic conditions as I was last at Astrofest around 2006!

Cheers

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I found an entrance for the convention centre in the corner of Grey st and Russel st. That looks like walking distance to the museum and there's a nice cafe next to it
Thanks for the tip on the carpark below the museum. Will try that one first.

I know Esk way as I go through coming from Gatton on my usual way up so I might back track via Ipswich. Google seems to say it's a simlar time whether I got through Caboolture or Ipswich.

If traffic is anything like Sydney I'll provide a buffer of at least 2 hours to come into Brisbane.
Old 13-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark6 View Post
Thanks Dennis for the great pics, I need to see this myself, looking into flights now!

If you are dropping in for the day, just make sure you book a ticket on-line for a particular entry time slot.

Entry time-slots are at 20 min intervals, such as 9:40am, 10:00am, 10:20am, etc. and you can stay in the exhibition as long as you want.

If you just rock up to the ticket office on Level 2 there is the risk that some time slots may be fully allocated and may not fit in with your arrival/departure times.

You can't miss the Museum - just look for the friendly NASA Astronaut on top!

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EOSR4720 Crop 1024.jpg)
103.3 KB24 views
Old 13-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Thanks Dennis. I found an entrance for the convention centre in the corner of Grey st and Russel st. That looks like walking distance to the museum and there's a nice cafe next to it
Thanks for the tip on the carpark below the museum. Will try that one first.

I know Esk way as I go through coming from Gatton on my usual way up so I might back track via Ipswich. Google seems to say it's a simlar time whether I got through Caboolture or Ipswich.

If traffic is anything like Sydney I'll provide a buffer of at least 2 hours to come into Brisbane.
Hi Marc

There is a café just outside the museum (rear) and also at the adjacent State Library, just down some steps at the back. So plenty of venues to people-watch the locals scurrying along to their places of work.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Dennis, the photos are just amazing! And thank you so much for all those super helpful tips on taking pics, it’s very much appreciated. I can’t wait to share the link to this thread on our fb page, it’ll be very helpful to many. Thank you again