Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 26-08-2009, 07:35 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Guys - instead of the Gimp, why not try Krita? It supports 16 bit images and has a far better UI than Gimp imho.

Dave
Old 26-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Harpspitfire

i bought CS3 extended from ebay-- new and unregistered, after using it- if you can get a cheap copy of CS2-- do so!!
Old 26-08-2009, 09:49 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Guys - instead of the Gimp, why not try Krita? It supports 16 bit images and has a far better UI than Gimp imho.

Dave
Available for Windows? It's KDE based, no?
Old 27-08-2009, 07:28 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Yes, I believe that Krita has been ported to the Windows environment Troy, although since only a few KDE developers are currently working on the Windows versions, it may, or may not be stable, or offer all features.

Dave
Old 27-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
The GIMP, whilst good, is useless for us as it won't process 16-bit images. And, we all know that there is a lot of dynamic range in our astrophotographs. You could quite easily get away with editing family happy snaps in The GIMP. It just isn't suited to astrophotography (or, in my case, landscape work).
It may be soon Humayun - one day. FilmGimp was always 16-bit capable, and may one day be used as the new platform on which the familiar version is based.

For the moment, CS3/4 is king. I've tried Krita - and yes, the GUI is arguably better than GIMPs, but I've found it a little well... ergh.. I prefer Photoshop.

Last edited by Omaroo; 27-08-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 28-08-2009, 07:57 AM
jakob

Quote:
Jakob,

IRIS is, apart from everything bojan mentioned, a pre-processing tool.

There are certain things that Photoshop is best used for, such as masking (yes, I know IRIS can do this, but, it is not exactly what you call easy), and feathering selections which is very important if you don't want an effect to span the entire image.

Apart from all the pre-processing of images, I use IRIS to set my black point and RGB balance. Oftentimes, it still needs to be tweaked in Photoshop. In fact, sometimes I don't even bother with doing that in IRIS, I do it all in Photoshop.

Then, all my post-processing is done in Photoshop: levels, curves, saturation, colour balance, blurring, sharpening, et. al.

The GIMP, whilst good, is useless for us as it won't process 16-bit images. And, we all know that there is a lot of dynamic range in our astrophotographs. You could quite easily get away with editing family happy snaps in The GIMP. It just isn't suited to astrophotography (or, in my case, landscape work).

Regards,
Humayun
Humayun,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I have a long way to go!

I just started to play with Iris, but I think PS is the way to go.
I'm just checking if as a member of Computer Pals College I can get the student version ($192).

J.
Old 29-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpspitfire View Post
i bought CS3 extended from ebay-- new and unregistered, after using it- if you can get a cheap copy of CS2-- do so!!
What was wrong with the CS3 Extended ?

I'll be really ticked off if I discover when my copy arrives I can't register it .... I was lead to beleive it's a brandnew retail copy and so comes with the registration key and all that jazz .... didn't your's ?

If it doesn't , I'll demanding a refund and leaving very negative feedback and if I don't get my money back immediately I'll take it up with my Visacard provider straight away (as PayPal is hopeless with this kind of stuff .... very pro seller !!).
Old 29-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Harpspitfire

CS3 was just fine and it registered easy enough, i meant other then the slightly modified interface and smart filters (used with limitations) theres really not much improvement over CS2
Old 29-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpspitfire View Post
CS3 was just fine and it registered easy enough, i meant other then the slightly modified interface and smart filters (used with limitations) theres really not much improvement over CS2
I've never done any image processing , so I opted for CS3 version rather than the CS4 version which is more expensive and I'm convinced I need to spend so much money on a image processing package.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Ian Robinson

Must have bought a dodgey copy from that Ebay seller in Melbourne who I bought it off.

As I can only get then shared components to install , and CS3 Ext wont install at all from the disk that came in the box.

I've been trying to install it all afternoon and it's no good. Plus the installer seems to hang and stop responding too , I have to eject and reinstall the disk to get it to continue. 3 dammed attempts at installing it and 5 hours later .... diddlely !!!! and I'm just seeing red.

Anyone had similar experiences with their Ebay CS Retail Packs bought from Australian sellers. ..... I'm not bloody impressed , I don't like blowing nearly $100 on something that I can't use , if I can't get satisfaction (I've complaigned via Ebay to the seller) , I'll be leaving neg feedback and going to PayPal Disputes. I'll also be getting onto my Visa card provider and letting them know about what looks like a fraudulent sale.

Grrrr.....!!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc cs3 failed to install.doc (80.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 31-08-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:57 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I'll PM you
Old 31-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I'll PM you
Don't buy any software via Ebay from the seller called raptorscience .

I am now excallating the dispute with this seller as raptorscience tried fogging me off , said it must me me and not the copy he sold me.

I'll keep you guys posted .

tI reminded raptorscience there are two satisfactory resolutions to this ie -
raptorscience can send me a genuine Adobe CS3 Extended (new unused retail / shop version) - one that will actually work !!!
or
raptorscience can send me a full refund of the transaction.

I have reminded raptorscience that I am fully entitled to a full refund under Australian comsumer protection laws since I have not recieved what I was lead by raptorscience 's Ebay advert to believe I was getting (e a genuine Adobe CS3 Extended ,the FULL unused retail / shop version).
Old 31-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

What did you think you were buying when paying under $100 for software worth over $1,000?

Caveat emptor.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Ian Robinson

Response from Adobe : I send the info on the product to them as I suspected piracy.

Quote:
> > Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:52:58 -0700
> Subject: RE: Anti Piracy form Data
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> Unfortunately, the software you purchased is counterfeit. Please send the software, along with anything associated with the purchase(emails, receipts, packaging, etc.) to my attention at the address below. Once it's received, we can open a case on the resellers. I would also recommend contacting ebay, paypal and your credit card company to get your money back. We can write a verification letter for paypal once we've examined the software.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Stickle
> Enforcement Manager, Anti-Piracy
> Adobe Systems Incorporated
> 601 Townsend St.
> San Francisco, CA 94103
> 415.832.5187
> 415.832.5140 fax
> cstickle@adobe.com
>
I've arranged to send the evidence to ADOBE Sydney HQ.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 01-09-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
What did you think you were buying when paying under $100 for software worth over $1,000?

Caveat emptor.
CS4 Extended , the current version may well cost over $1000, CS3 Extended is a superceded version and a price is no longer listed anywhere I've seen except on Ebay , being superceded it will be considerably cheaper I expect and may well have been surplus unsold genuine product.

Ebay .... BUYER BEWARE.

This is my first and last software purchase via Ebay.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:

Caveat emptor.
Makes you wonder...

Message everyone: Adobe ONLY sells its own software online through its own store. There are NO sanctioned download agents for its high-end (i.e. non "free" downloads such as Reader) products. There are plenty that advertise box sets online and are genuine (DSE, OfficeWorks, etc). This is different.

I'm at a bit of a loss in regards to what was expected by shopping on eBay where you're actively LOOKING at prices in the $100 range. Software doesn't lose its shelf retail value because it's superceded. Some users won't be able to run the CS4 suite on their hardware, so some retail stores are still relied upon by Adobe to be make CS3 available to those who want it. They close it down on their own download site, that's all. I used to work for a couple of large Apple dealers years ago (Avante Systems and Logical Solutions), and we did just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
This is my first and last software purchase via Ebay.
I should hope so.

Last edited by Omaroo; 01-09-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM
deadsimple (Ash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
Don't buy any software via Ebay from the seller called raptorscience .
My first rule for eBay is generally not to buy from someone who has:

1. Less than 100 transactions / feedback comments, or
2. Less than 98% approval rating, or
3. Has been a member for less than 6 months

If you have a look at raptorscience you'll see that while they have a 100% approval rating, it's only over 17 transactions after joining 3 weeks ago.

Maybe they are genuinely unaware of this problem and will resolve it, but given how dodgy it looks... Though it sucks that you have to go through this.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Ian Robinson

Well it's been sent to Adobe Sydney .They'll investigate and prosecute the crook.

And it's now a matter with PayPal and Visa Australia .

I expect I'll get a refund , Ebay will ban the vendor , and the vendor will be prosecuted by Adobe and Microsoft (I reported my suspicions of his activities to Microsoft too since he also advertises XP and Office.)

I'm looking into getting a genuine student copy of CS4 from Adobe or Newcastle Uni Library Software Sales or maybe a relative / friend who has access to the discounted goverment sales version maybe.

Lesson learnt.

So what is the current retail price for CS3 and CS3 Extended (for genuine product) , anyone know ?

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 01-09-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Not trying to be clever, but are you a student or government employee that works at home? If not, isn't it a bit hypocritical reporting that eBay seller to Adobe for piracy when you're planning on flaunting Adobe's licensing yourself?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Not trying to be clever, but are you a student or government employee that works at home? If not, isn't it a bit hypocritical reporting that eBay seller to Adobe for piracy when you're planning on flaunting Adobe's licensing yourself?
I'm in a masters' degree program .

I have every right to report a pirate operation who's also engaging in fraudulent selling.

I don't need to explain .