Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-11-2020, 04:06 PM
simmo

Camera for viewing

I have a 10inch dob and wondering if there is anything out there that can help put a view from the eyepiece to a laptop. Or even a phone holder? Tried holding a phone however very hard to hold steady. I have often pulled my scope out at night with kids around. Being push pull only it makes it a bit of an exercise so really wondering if there is something out there to make life easier and to allow everyone to experience the joys of the stars at once.
Old 19-11-2020, 06:00 PM
simmo

I must admit I'm not sure a phone holder would work for the latest phones anyway....my Motorola has 3 lenses and I am pretty sure a lot of other late model phones are this way too.
Old 19-11-2020, 06:45 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

The simple cheap way to do this is to use something like the Saxon Scopepix smartphone adapter, it retails for less than $40 and if your phone has 3 camera lenses just adjust it to use the one that gives the best views. If in doubt about it fitting your phone just call the retailer and ask about dimensions of device.

For extra WOW factor you can also use a screen mirror app on your phone and send to a TV and take in the view on the big screen, this works well for the moon, planets and bright star clusters but not so well on dim objects like nebula.

With your Dob being a push to with no motor tracking system your options are limited as other dedicated astro photography systems require tracking and guiding to give good results.

Saxon Scopepix smartphone adapter
http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/saxo...e-adapter.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (saxon_-_saxon_scopepix_smartphone_adapter_-_astrophotography_-_accessories_12-8-2017_3-08-04_pm.png)
103.1 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (saxon_-_saxon_scopepix_smartphone_adapter_-_astrophotography_-_accessories_12-8-2017_3-07-10_pm.png)
81.1 KB47 views