Old 29-06-2020, 09:02 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Help with my 450D

Hi All,

My 450D showed one it bugs with Antivibration pause in APT and now the USB port on the camera has died.

Windows still recognises it but the camera remains "BUSY" indefinitely. I have tried to:
  1. Left it to sit without power for a while.
  2. Cleared all the settings.
  3. Updated the Firmware (Simply re-installed the firmware)
  4. As a last resort removed the Motherboard (thinking there was an internal battery)

Nothing worked and the effect is spread across multiple computers.

Essentially I forgot to turn off Mirror Popup from the camera settings before setting the anti-vibration pause to "0".

Any thoughts, The camera itself works fine but no good for Astronomy picture using APT or any other program at this stage. Am considering getting a new motherboard then save up to buy a CCD.
Old 30-06-2020, 06:09 PM
redbeard (Damien)

I think there is a setting in the camera to select the USB mode. Can't remember off the top of my head but somewhere in the settings there is a section where you choose between 2 different USB modes. If it's there give it a go.

Good luck.
Old 30-06-2020, 09:23 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
I think there is a setting in the camera to select the USB mode. Can't remember off the top of my head but somewhere in the settings there is a section where you choose between 2 different USB modes. If it's there give it a go.

Good luck.
Nice thought but no the isn't a setting like this, maybe newer cameras.
Failing directly after taking so many images suggests the firmware could not handle the settings between the computer and camera.
How it failed is not my line of expertise.
Old 30-06-2020, 11:29 PM
glend (Glen)

So the camera works but just can't communucate via USB?
Now in removing the motherboard you had to disconnect the small USB connector board, I bet your problem is there, or in the small ribbon cable connection to the motherboard. It is easy to think that ribbon cable is connected when it is actually not fully inserted. Also check that the little earth bar is in place and has continuity.
They are pretty old cameras now, not worth spending money to fix them imho.

I would bet the camera did not need to be opened up at all, simply removing the battery and memory card for several hours would likely have reset whatever was hung. But yeah i suppose it is possible the usb board got fried by a spurious signal but it is unusual.

Finally, ditch the APT and use BYEOS, never had problem with that purpose built Canon software.

Last edited by glend; 30-06-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:39 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
So the camera works but just can't communucate via USB?
Now in removing the motherboard you had to disconnect the small USB connector board, I bet your problem is there, or in the small ribbon cable connection to the motherboard. It is easy to think that ribbon cable is connected when it is actually not fully inserted. Also check that the little earth bar is in place and has continuity.
They are pretty old cameras now, not worth spending money to fix them imho.

I would bet the camera did not need to be opened up at all, simply removing the battery and memory card for several hours would likely have reset whatever was hung. But yeah i suppose it is possible the usb board got fried by a spurious signal but it is unusual.

Finally, ditch the APT and use BYEOS, never had problem with that purpose built Canon software.
The USB failed before removing the motherboard. I only did it to quickly reset any bit errors.

I have found out that this is a common problem with the 450D using mirror flip and not with just APT.

BYEOS doesn't have enough future support for my needs. I know this issue was my problem as I ignored the warning when changing the settings. Essentially the DIGI III firmware in the earlier 450D's does not like a pause of "0" while the mirror flip is on.

Will be a good daytime camera with SD card, my next purchase will be a higher-end mono or colour that will start for DSO/planetary then upgrade.
I have a new plan for this although may buy a new MB and Audio Board as it is called if the purchase takes too long. Tax time is coming so I am hoping for a good outcome.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:23 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Have tried a new USB cable from camera to computer ??
I have a 600D running BYEOS and have gone through 3 cables in the last 12 months
USB cables are becoming more of an issue with reliability lately
Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Have tried a new USB cable from camera to computer ??
I have a 600D running BYEOS and have gone through 3 cables in the last 12 months
USB cables are becoming more of an issue with reliability lately
Yep, have three cables. My computer recognises the connection as Canon then it hangs in busy indefinitely. Happens on multiple computers.

Anyway CCD or specific Astro CMOS cameras are my next option.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I have heard of this happening in the video settings of the 450D too.

I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but the full manual of the 450D is available on-line here:
https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1093684/
Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Appreciate, the help, I have the manual I have been told it is worth only now as a good day time camera, although I may pull it apart later if I feel like it. Now that it is close to tax time and with working from home expenses quite high, I think I may get a good refund (here's wishing).

One thing I haven't tried is making sure that it if my power supply may have died at the same time, although the camera works without the USB connector, it may be prone to noisy power supplies as I recently heard a funny beeping noise for a few days and disconnect the power today to find it was the cause of the beeping. Problem is I haven't used batteries in a long time and they are dead. I will get around to it soon.

While typing this message I just realised I have a ton of stable linear variable power supplies so I will connect to one of them. I will keep the post updated if I have success.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:58 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Well, interestingly, I connected the camera back again, and it exhibited the same problem. Still, on one occasion, I connected it differently by plugging it into the computer before switching on. It didn't disappear straight away once the computer booted up, but the EOS Utility booted up and requested downloading files. I downloaded, and now it seems to be operating normally. This is an interim check as I have just gotten excited to get the camera back, just hoping this is not temporary. I am now sitting it on the bench and testing it with APT and as far so good. I hope it is going to last.
I heard there are issues with the USB connector, so I may still look at is and maybe replace it. Smiles here all-round I may get back to taking some images. Preemptive YAY.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Is is worth taking it to a Canon agent and arrange for it to get a service? I know Canon do this in the major centres, but depending on where you are you may have to get a camera store to ship it on your behalf. It might be worth a phone call to Canon in South Australia and see what they say. They can only say no.

Another thought...is the firmware up to date? Check with Canon to see if there's been a release that fixes the problem.

Failing that, DP Review has a number of threads in their forums about the 450D here
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1031...=canon_eos450d
and while I haven't looked at them all, there might be something that addresses the issue there.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:18 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

The camera is not that much to repair, it is over 10 years old and 260,000 shutter count. To take it to a service agent would cost more than it is worth. As an Electronics Engineer, I have the capability to work on a lot of this stuff. Problem is I am a hardware engineer an embedded work is not high in my workload.
I only tinker in embedded stuff and even less in coding. Fortunately USB connectors are too simple to fix.

Update though, the camera has settled down and seems to be working well. I hope to test a few variables in start-up and shutdown sequences to make sure it will handle more workload until I get a new camera.

Whether the power supply was the problem I am not sure, the beeping has gone but as the problem still existed after the beeping stopped it is probably not the problem. I will keep my mind open now just in case someone else has an issue similar. I know someone has I may try to see if they can sort it out.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

No worries, good luck.

And my apologies - I didn't realise your expertise in the field.