Old 21-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

8” Quattro setup

I’ve owned a Skywatcher F4 8” CF Quattro for a week or so and have been tweaking and researching to get the most out of a first light with the scope. I’ve imaged with an f5 8” Newt in the past and have that process somewhat organized but am curious about some of the more specific issues with this scope. So far I’ve added a dovetail bar to the top for stability and also as a place to put my focus controller and USB3 hub (strapped down and attached with velcro). I’ve added Bob’s knobs to the secondary and centered the secondary mirror and collimated it all with a Glatter laser and Tublug. I found the primary mirror was moving around, changing the collimation with scope orientation, so I have added some extra padding to the sides of the 3 mirror clips to keep this from happening. The collimation now holds well in any orientation and the center spot does not move at all when racking the focuser in and out. Planning on using my ZWO OAG for guiding and a Baader MPCC mark III to deal with coma. Spacing seems about right for the MPCC in 2 inch mode (57mm or so to the chip) although I’m prepared to adjust as I go. Need to add a dew heater to the secondary (for the winter months ahead) and add the necessary bits for autofocusing (parts on the way).

Anything I’ve missed? I’d like to swap the Baader for an F4 Skywatcher 4 element Coma corrector at some point but figure processing can take care of any extra bloating in the stars that seems to be the issue most discussed with the Baader at f4. Would also love to have the Coma corrector somehow screw into the draw tube for stability but can’t see how that would work and I’d need to see how far the draw tube comes out to reach focus. Curious what else can be done to reduce any tilt that might arise at this point in the imaging train?

Appreciate any advice from those familiar with the scope. Excited to try imaging at f4 (mostly narrowband in suburban skies) if the clouds ever clear.

Last edited by Benjamin; 23-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.