Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Skywatcher mounts - maybe an EQ7-R ??

Ever since the new EQ8-R was released 2 months ago ive been looking at Skywatchers range of EQ mounts and noticed there's a huge gap between the 22kg rating and their latest beast the EQ8-R at 50kg rating

Below is a general range of Skywatcher EQ mounts ( excluding small visual mounts and trackers ) with some payload and weight data -

Mount Mount Head Weight * Imaging Payload (60%) Max Payload

EQ5 7.5kg 5.5kg 9.0kg
HEQ5 10.0kg 9.0kg 15.0kg
EQ6 16.0kg 11.0kg 18.0kg
EQ6-R 17.0kg 12.0kg 20.0kg
AZEQ6GT 16.0kg 13.5kg 22.0kg
EQ8-R 25.0kg 30.0 to 35.0kg 50.0kg

* Imaging payload can vary but used 60% as recommendation or a guide for tripod use outdoors

If you like the Skywatcher brand and use Skywatcher mounts exclusively for AP then my question for comment is - why don't they make an EQ7-R mount ( tripod version only ) with a max payload rating of say 35kg to compete with Celestron and others

Surely it would open up opportunities for imagers across the globe for a wider variety of scopes and equipment and put market pressure on other brands

There just seems to be a huge gap between 22kg and 50kg

Your comments / thoughts ??
Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Xeteth (David)

I think it's best to think about what you're probably going to put on the mount in terms of quality of optics.

I know there's no exact science and specific numbers behind this, but you can probably agree that with a 60-110 (maybe 130) refractor something like an EQ6-R will do just fine and sits in a nice price range. But, if you have a larger refractor with quality optics I daresay you're probably the kind of person who wants a quality and more accurate mount (not just increased payload) hence the jump to the EQ-8.

I think if Skywatcher introduced an EQ-7 it would sit somewhere in-between where most people would get away with an EQ-6, so why buy the EQ-7?

Again, I'm still fairly new to all this so I could be completely wrong but that's my two cents.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

SW EQM-35 with an FS-78 (with reducer)....I'm more than happy.

So incredibly portable and all I need.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 PM
doppler (Rick)

I think if you put a EQ6R on a EQ8 "tripod" you could increase specified payload by at least 5 kgs probably even more. Pier style tripods are the way to go, if you want portability.

Rick
Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Wavytone

You had better read this https://www.altairastro.com/Skywatch...ial-Mount.html
Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Nick,
I saw this add a few weeks ago
Looks like they are only making this model for the UK and Euro market
Skywatcher Australia no nothing about it
Maybe a risk if you buy one from Europe next year , no tech support down under ??
Thanks for posting
Cheers
Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Wavytone

Just a matter of time. A sale is a sale, regardless of who or where.

It’s more likely to do with where sales are strong; I’m sure Oz simply doesn’t rate more than a blip, globally.

Another aspect is that in the US Skywatcher is virtually unknown; there it’s basically all Celestron, Televue and big dobs, and little else.

Last edited by Wavytone; 06-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

I wouldn't say so Nick - Orion has a very good share of the market, and Orion mounts are Skywatcher rebadges.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Wavytone

... but not labelled Skywatcher.

Orion US clearly has a contract as a reseller, which implies Skywatcher will not sell gear with their label on it there. It’s not a sole agency though as Synta maks are retailed as both Orion and Celestron products.

Synta is playing a shell game (with labels). Orion wanted a bigger slice of a shrinking pie despite being a retailer, not a manufacturer (greedy imho). Meade got it wrong, were bought out and now are basically stuffed after losing the lawsuit.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Earl (Earl White)

Hi folks,

First of all, it's fair to say that Sky-Watcher still has their engineers and designers post EQ8-R launch and they're busily working on new products. These take a while to come to market. Sometimes, quite a while.... However, any feedback and suggestion is always handy especially from experienced users.

Secondly, the mount in the link that appeared on some European websites and catalogues was from someone jumping the gun earlier in the year after seeing a prototype/mock-up and this has been discussed elsewhere. It's not like it's a mount in production that is only available in the Europe and us poor Aussies are being left out off.

We do work very closely with Sky-Watcher. Far from being being a "blip", the Australian market and customers here are taken seriously. For example, we had the founder of Synta/Sky-Watcher, David Shen, and other senior members of his team here for an extended visit only three weeky ago. So yes, the request for feedback is very real it will get to the right people.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Wavytone

Wish you could:

1. Use USB ports, Pc’s with RS232 are antiques;
2. Ditch the cable from the handset - that’s last-century too; hi time to go Bluetooth or wifi;
3. Your mounts work (i have an AZEQ6) but they are so ... UGLY. Find an industrial designer that believes in Jonathan Ive and doesn’t copy a bad 1980s computer game.
4. integrate with Sky Safari - directly, and without the dreadful Synscan App.
5. Create a side-by-side setup that supports - and maintains - accurate alignment of two scopes. The awful second scope thing for the AZEQ6 was designed by an idiot, frankly, who didn’t understand the dec axis both flops slightly and also slips in rotation.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)

My EQ6-R is a great mount for the money ($2,300 ) and is leagues ahead of my 3 year old HEQ5 mount
It comfortably carries my 8” f5 newt with all imaging gear and dew control etc.. (Payload 14kg ) , sub arc sec guiding in a variety of seeing conditions , recovery from dithering is seamless and quick , EQMOD Goto and tracking is tremendously quick and super accurate , never use the Synscan HC anymore , it’s as quiet as a church mouse when slewing, just a good all round mount
Now if they just make an EQ7-R so I can get rid of my aperture fever ......
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Wish you could:

1. Use USB ports, Pc’s with RS232 are antiques;
2. Ditch the cable from the handset - that’s last-century too; hi time to go Bluetooth or wifi;
FYI - I got one of the most recent EQ6-R models (purchased about 5 months ago) and they now have a USB-B plug on the mount. I can hook my mount up via a simple USB cable and connect using EQMOD, works a treat!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Earl (Earl White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
FYI - I got one of the most recent EQ6-R models (purchased about 5 months ago) and they now have a USB-B plug on the mount. I can hook my mount up via a simple USB cable and connect using EQMOD, works a treat!
Beat me to it!

There's a general move to USB and Wifi.

We also now have the USB adaptor gizmos in stock to save fiddling with RS232 etc and available from Sky-Watcher dealers. Plugs into most mounts. $29.95.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

The newish EQM-35 has USB in the hand controller. You can also purchase a direct cable from the computer to the old handcontroller too (USB to RJ45). Plus you can purchase dongles for SkySafari control.

http://astroanarchy.com.au/Accessori...dapter_SW.html

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sk...v=6cc98ba2045f

Plus: https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Watcher-S.../dp/B07DTJS4T7

Last edited by CeratodusDuck; 07-12-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:18 AM
billdan (Bill)

Skywatcher EQ7

A bit late to the party, Skywatcher did release an EQ7 in 2011, but it was replaced (or renamed) by the EQ8.

A video demo of the EQ7 is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrUwe3Se3Q

Last edited by billdan; 07-12-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Bill
Looks like it should be called an EQ10 , the mount head probably weighs 40kg and the tripod legs look like matchsticks compared to the mount head , no wonder it never went ahead into production
I’m suggesting in my original post that it would be great to have a model in between the EQ6-R and the EQ8-R , hypothetically an EQ7-R with payload rating or 32kg or 35kg
Maybe in the future ......
Cheers
Old 07-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Wavytone

There’s no point beefing up the mount if the tripod it sits on is the weakest point.

I wonder about their mechanical “engineering” as with mine it was quite obvious the weakest point (ie where the flexure was) was their tripod. Replaced that with a Berlebach Planet, which made a huge improvement.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I would assume the Synta engineering team and design developers (based in the US and China ) of a “hypothetical future EQ7-R mount” would go through design development and testing of the proposed mount and ensure the tripod has sufficient design stability for maximum rated payloads and less than normal environmental conditions. These guys have been making mounts for decades be it entry level to low end and now an observatory class mount in the EQ8-R

I imaged NGC 6744 a mag 9 galaxy in Pavo back in July under 15km/hr to 25km/hr wind gusts and average seeing in the backyard of my weekender down the south coast (Bortle 3 skies) running 5 minute dithered guided subs for 4 hours and the EQ6-R didn’t miss a beat. Talking about performance from a relatively low end mount, however you have to do all the little things right with respect to good balance and a low centre of mass ( my tripod legs are only extended around 80mm )
I really can’t fault the EQ6-R , maybe I’m just lucky ??
If Synta ever decide to manufacture and market such a mount with 32kg to 35kg Max payload, I certainly would been very interested in looking at it for sure
The EQ8-R is way beyond my imaging requirements and capabilities plus it’s simply just too big and heavy for a temporary set up
Cheers