Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 AM
thegableguy (Chris)

Suggestions for observing in early August

Hi all,

I'm heading to Kangaroo Valley for three nights in August with some mates for a boys' weekend; one of them is VERY keen for me to bring a telescope so we can get wasted and geek out on astronomy stuff together - he's quite scientifically literate and fascinated by astronomy, but hasn't looked through a telescope since his teens and is understandably dying to.

I've got an 8" reflector on a NEQ6 - mainly for imaging, but does okay for observing. Keen for suggestions of wow-factor targets. Here are the usual suspects I'll be starting with, which I believe are in ideal position for first week of August. Let me know what I've missed.

- Jupiter
- Saturn
- Omega Centauri (my all-time favourite for visual observing)
- Jewel Box Cluster
- Lagoon
- Trifid
- Eta Carinae

I imagine Orion is too low this time of year to see from here, yeah? Ditto for the Pleiades?

Any galaxies visible through my modest scope? I know they'll be barely visible, but it's more the idea of actually looking at another galaxy that'll likely blow his socks off. M83 perhaps? Whirlpool? Sombrero? Maybe Andromeda if we're willing to stay up til 2am (and by "stay up" I mean "retain ability to stand up")?

Thanks in advance folks!

~C
Old 05-07-2019, 12:01 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Read through this thread. My most recent entries (post No. 19 & 20) covers the winter sky:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=174236

I have been able to see the arms of M83 in my 8" dobbie. The key here is not just a dark sky, but a very transparent one too. The Sombrero is very easy too - I've seen it in a 30mm finder.

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 05-07-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Read through this thread. My most recent entries (post No. 19 & 20) covers the winter sky:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=174236

I have been able to see the arms of M83 in my 8" dobbie. The key here is not just a dark sky, but a very transparent one too. The Sombrero is very easy too - I've seen it in a 30mm finder.

Alex.
Mate that is perfect, thank you! You're quite the font of information on these recent posts of mine. I'll print that out along with their NGC numbers and we should have a very enjoyable hour or two touring the universe. Can't wait.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

For a galaxy there is also NGC5128, Centaurus A or if a little later in the evening , the LMC, with NGC2070 will be rising to a convenient altitude.