Old 18-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Entropy

Request for feedback on image processing

Hey guys,
I've done a little bit of astrophotography with my old 8" newt, but never really looked in to image processing. I took my new and much improved imaging rig to SPSP and got some great results and have now attempted some processing of my images.

Would you please be able to provide me with some feedback on how I am going and where I have inevitably gone wrong?

Thanks

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psa99dcf7a.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9f09cd9b.jpg

As a side question... How do I create the little thumbnail images down the bottom?

Thanks again
Old 18-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Entropy

Sorry to post again, I was also wondering I perhaps I should have posted this in the Deep Sky Images section>
I Wasn't too sure.

Thanks
Old 18-05-2013, 05:33 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That second link is looking really good. I think you've got it down pat. . re:thumbnails do you mean attaching pictures to your posts?
Old 18-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Entropy

Thanks I think a lot of it is dumb luck... I have restarted image processing so many times I've lost count,
In regards to the thumbnails, yeah how they have a picture attached to their post, down the bottom (As a thumbnail then it opens up over the top of their forum post). Are they uploading them to the site, and therefore the images need to be <200kB?
Old 20-05-2013, 01:42 PM
PRejto (Peter)

For me getting the colour balance corrrect is one of the most difficult tasks. You are getting there but I don't believe your sky or nebulosity ought to look brownish (it does on my screen).

Perhaps start by telling us your processing tools and methods. It's really hard to comment generally with so little information given there are so many tools and options in processing! And, part of the equation is how and how much data you captured because these facts alone will influence what you will be able to do.

Peter
Old 20-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Entropy

The equipment I used was a Tak FSQ106 on an EQ6 mount guided with an Orion short tube package.
The image is from 22 shots of 120seconds and 640iso. Stacked using deep sky stacker.
Processing was all done in Photoshop CS5 using levels and curves. Then using Match Colour, Reduce Noise and Unsharpen Mask.
I didn't do any colour balancing in DSS (basically because I have no idea what I'm doing there and seemingly always end up breaking the image).

After stacking I got that heavily whited out image, is that normal? I have seen some examples where there is hardly anything visible after stacking and they successfully use levels and curves to make stunning images, have I over exposed? If so how can you tell the correct iso/exposure balance? What am I looking for in the image that will tell me when I have it right?

Or is all the data there and I just need to improve my ability to process the image? Will purchasing Pixinsight or MaximDL or third-party Photoshop add ons help? Which Photoshop add-ons are best?

Sorry, I have so many questions about all this I could go on for pages

Thanks
Old 22-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I wouldn't bother with Photoshop unless you are going to use it for other types of photography.

Go straight to PixInsight and learn the ropes, it has all the tools in it and is far cheaper than Photoshop by the time you buy it and then buy all the little add-ons.
Old 22-05-2013, 07:16 PM
PRejto (Peter)

I can't comment on PixInsight since I've never used it, but I've heard that it takes a while to master but is then great. On the other hand since you already have Photoshop you might find using CCDStack quite attractive as a first step. There is a free trial and it has given me excellent results. If you go that route I can highly recommend the two tutorials by Adam Block, one on CCDStack and the other on photoshop. In my view each tutorial is well worth the $100 price tag. Another source of good info, though now a bit dated, is Ron Wodaski's book (out of print) "The New CCD Astronomy." Besides a wealth of info on all aspects of imaging there are lots of processing tips.

You mentioned something about your image turning white? I doubt that is from stacking unless you are summing all the images. What you want is a median combine not a sum. Or, it could just be over stretching in your image stacking program. I'm not familiar with the one you are using, but CCDStack gives a lot of option about how your final stack is viewed and saved and uses DDP (digital development) and allows for deconvolution before moving into photoshop. I use a mono camera so have not paid attention to 1 shot colour processing, but I know CCDStack does this and the Block tutorial covers it. I'm really happy using CCDStack + CS-5. I use a couple of very useful plugins with photoshop - Noise Ninja, and GradientXterminator.

Good luck!
Peter