Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 17-07-2008, 12:08 PM
TrevorW

A number of years ago Canon used to supply a power AC adapter with all their digital cameras, as well as a bag, now they don't and charge an additional $100 odd for AC adapters. Obviously they realised that these adapters where only required by certain camera users eg: professionals and those wanting to take time(d)/ lapsed images like us ergo another way they could save costs and make more money.

I found a UK company that makes an adapter for my Pentax at 1/2 the price(inc) shipping so with Canon being more popular it shouldn't be to difficult to find a cheaper alternative than the genuine Canon product.

Cheers

Last edited by TrevorW; 17-07-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 17-07-2008, 07:56 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I bought a genuine canon one brand new on ebay 10 minutes ago for $52.17 (including shipping) from the USA... Gotta LOVE that aussie dollar
Old 16-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Hi Matt/Robin,

I finished the DC power supply for my Canon 450D DSLR last week, and it works a treat.
Total parts cost was about $70, broken down as follows:
- Canon DR-E5 DC Coupler ($40 posted from the US)
- DC-DC Converter from Jaycar to provide 7.5v, 2A ($25)
- some 2.5mm DC power connectors, also from Jaycar ($5)

For an extra $25, I added an aftermarket PS-PS700 AC Compact power adaptor. Have made it interchangeable with the DC adaptor .... for extended imaging sessions from my backyard where I have easy access to AC power.

I foolishly also started down the track of making my own DC coupler from a hacked LP-E5 battery, but quickly decided that for me the hassle is not worth it. I discovered a few interesting things about the 450D LP-E5 batteries and AC-E5 couplers however:
1. of the 3 battery terminals, only 2 are used by the camera (plain DC, no apparent smarts)
2. 3rd battery terminal is only used by the charger (to control charging rate, preventing overheating)
3. large capacitors in DC couplers handle peak loads (eg. recharge of flash)

Have attached a pic below.

I expect a similar approach would work for the 350D/40D etc (which I understand use slightly a different batteries and DC couplers).

Hope some of this is helpful.

Cheers,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AC & DC Power.JPG)
77.3 KB48 views
Old 16-08-2008, 01:36 AM
mrsnipey
Verified Astronomy Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
I bought a genuine canon one brand new on ebay 10 minutes ago for $52.17 (including shipping) from the USA... Gotta LOVE that aussie dollar
Thanks for the heads up Alex. I bought one as well and it's been working like a charm.
Old 16-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Cheers Jeff, When I get this cast off my broken foot I'll follow in your footsteps I'm sure. Thanks
Old 18-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexN http://www.iceinspace.com.au/vbiis/i...s/viewpost.gif
Yes, the AC Compact Power Adaptors (Canon or aftermarket clones) are easy to buy over the internet ... even on Amazon.com and eBay.

The challenge for me was to find a DC supply which can be used in the field (eg. from any 12 power supply with a cigarette socket output).

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 18-08-2008, 09:57 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I was thinking of running a 12vDC -> 240v AC inverter, although I think you'll find even the smallest ones you can buy (400w) would be a considerable drain on a 12v17aH battery... Might need something bigger... If I could get a 12v30aH battery I'd get an inverter for sure and run my lappy off it too, avoiding the need for mains power completely.
Old 18-08-2008, 10:05 PM
RB (Andrew)

When I image away from home I use my 'hot box' which I built just for that purpose.
Able to run my mount, dew starps, power my DSLR and more.

See this thread for deatils.
Old 18-08-2008, 10:13 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Andrew, thats an absolute ripper! Did you draw up any plans when you made it? if so, wanna send them to me?

You've said you painted it blue.. but it looks GOLD to me
Old 18-08-2008, 10:18 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Andrew, thats an absolute ripper! Did you draw up any plans when you made it? if so, wanna send them to me?

You've said you painted it blue.. but it looks GOLD to me
Only problem with me Alex is that I seldom work off plans.
I started with a simple idea and ended up with a reactor. LOL

If you come to Lostock you'll be able to check it out.

When I get a chance tomorrow I'll measure it up and pm you the details.

Old 18-08-2008, 10:21 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

cheers mate, I'm trying to organize some way of making IISAC08 a possibility for me...

Hiring a van and bringing another keen IIS member along to split fuel costs... I'll probably be there either way, but the cheaper the better when driving ~800kms
Old 18-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

I tried an inverter (Powertech 150w) for my lappy, but the power drain was horrendous. Despite a "claimed" 90% efficiency at full load (150w output), the efficiency at lower loads (eg. 30w) was extremely poor ... my measurements with a shunt ammeter suggest about 30%.

Drain on my 12v jump starter using my inverter was about 10amps (versus under 3 when using my $20 laptop DC-DC converter).

If run my inverter (for laptop and 450D camera) off my jump starter ... along with my HEQ5Pro mount and assorted USB devices (GPUSB, guide camera), then it would be flat in a few hours as opposed to running all night ... when the weather warms up that is.

Last edited by Jeff; 18-08-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 19-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
When I image away from home I use my 'hot box' which I built just for that purpose.
Able to run my mount, dew starps, power my DSLR and more.

See this thread for deatils.
What a great idea Andrew. I wouldn't mind having a look at it at Lostock myself.

How much did it cost you to build?

Old 19-08-2008, 05:13 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I've already drawn up plans and sourced a 12v 60aH deep cell battery...

Andrew, What size inverter did you use?? I wont be running much off it, my laptop/350D (sometimes)/QHY8 de-humidifier/QHY8, and the mount + dew control system directly off 12v..

I was thinking that a 600w would do fine for this gear.. and I'd assume it would all run for a couple of nights if need be.
Old 19-08-2008, 06:41 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
What a great idea Andrew. I wouldn't mind having a look at it at Lostock myself.

How much did it cost you to build?

Looking forward to meeting you and Alex at IISAC 08.

The main cost was the inverter which I bought from Jaycar and the truck battery from a battery supplier.
I opened up the inverter and cut the power switch leads to enable me to relocate the switch onto the front panel of the box.
I also placed a 12v in-line fuse on the cig lighter outlets in case of a short circuit which also protects the RCA charging inlet.
The rest of the hardware and 240v outlets were sourced from the local hardware store.
I decided to have 8 outlets because as you know you can never have enough outlets in this hobby LOL.
It started off as a simple box but ended up a nice looking practical power unit.

Quote:
I've already drawn up plans and sourced a 12v 60aH deep cell battery...

Andrew, What size inverter did you use?? I wont be running much off it, my laptop/350D (sometimes)/QHY8 de-humidifier/QHY8, and the mount + dew control system directly off 12v..

I was thinking that a 600w would do fine for this gear.. and I'd assume it would all run for a couple of nights if need be.
I needed a bit of grunt because I use it around the farm and house when there's a blackout so I opted for the 1000w inverter. Although at the time I was trying to save some money and opted for the modified sine wave version, I would highly recommend a pure wave version if the budget allows (even though I've never had any trouble with it).
This is the one I bought: 1000w version.

I've been able to charge my lappy and DSLR batteries on it, even run the DSLR directly from it, run a hot air hair dryer, run my mount, charge mobiles at SPSP, run my dew zappers, and even run a normal drill around the farm when 240v was not available.
Obviously not all at the same time though. (but I can run my astro gear all night long)

I'd recommend working out how much you'll need to run off it at any one time and allow some head room.

When not in use I keep it trickle charged and I haven't had any probs with the original truck battery.

When the load gets too much it has a audible alarm and it also has built in cooling fans.

Old 19-08-2008, 07:41 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Never mind, i need to learn to read.

Last edited by AlexN; 19-08-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 22-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Go Ebay.

I got a Canon ACK-DC20 AC Adapter Kit for $5.

Michael
Old 22-08-2008, 07:20 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

$5!! Niiiice one!
Old 22-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
Go Ebay.

Michael
What a great find Micheal!

A bargain.
Old 22-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt
Go Ebay.

Michael
That's fantastic Michael ... and I thought I wass doing well to get a lone CA-PS700 AC Adapter landed in Melb for $25, but $5 for a complete kit is a great pickup.

Wish there was this much stuff already available cheaply for the 450D cameras with LP-E5 battereis.