Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
I believe the STX-8300 will be released later in the year. At which point, there will be a camera with the sensor I want, -60c delta cooling and self guide Crawling?? No, just longing to get self guide back
Sorry Alex, wrong quote.

"Would I forgo self guide for -60c cooling... Bet your backside I would."

This one is sad, correct yourself or be forever condemed . Its appalling.

Of course, STX is the go, and will forever make FLI fanatics jealous, disabled, and forever regretfull of their foolish, foolish choices
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
sjastro

Quote:
I believe the STX-8300 will be released later in the year. At which point, there will be a camera with the sensor I want, -60c delta cooling and self guide Crawling?? No, just longing to get self guide back
A 5nm or less narrowband filter will be a real challenge for finding guide stars.

Steven
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Steven - OAG + RGH for narrowband work. Self guide for RGB data. AO-STX for L data... You know the drill, you use ST10-RGH-MOAG-AO do you not?

Fred - I must have had a few too many beers... I took a series of darks with my ST8300 at -10, and another set at -15 and the ADU counts were less than 50 ADU's apart even at 15min duration... Cooling is required, but there is a point of diminishing returns... SBIG/Self-Guide/AO forever!
Old 13-03-2010, 12:47 AM
sjastro

Quote:
Steven - OAG + RGH for narrowband work. Self guide for RGB data. AO-STX for L data... You know the drill, you use ST10-RGH-MOAG-AO do you not?
Alex,

I self guide exclusively. That's why I don't do any Ha imaging.

Steven
Old 13-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Spocky (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Geez, looking at those mugs...don't think I'd trust either.

More to the point, as Geoff, Peter and Alex have alluded in earlier posts, it depends on the focal length you're operating at. Glen has not indicated this so we are none the wiser in our advice (despite the joyous SBIG/FLI slinging match).
Looking at 1000 to 1500mm refractor.

Cheers Spocky
Old 13-03-2010, 01:22 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

AO is no longer an SBIG exclusive...other options are out there.

Mark
Old 13-03-2010, 01:37 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

True Marki, I looked at both the SX and the Orion units recently.. Personally, The only reason I'd go near the Orion AO unit is to throw rocks at it. The SXV-AO unit seems quite good, and results I've seen show that its very capable. Until recently they have only been of use to those with APS-C sized sensors and smaller, although reports have it that SX are releasing a new AO unit able to be used on 35mm systems... Neither of these units are as cost effective as the SBIG AO setup, nor are they as well proven in the field.. The SBIG system is incredibly well integrated... I myself have been looking at the SXV-AO unit, as I love my ST8300, but do want an AO option... That said, I'll wait until the STX8300 comes out and go for the AO-STX..
Old 13-03-2010, 01:48 PM
marki

I was also considering a SX unit as well.. not sure why you would throw rocks at the orion though, they are soon to release a version which has motorised adjustment of camera and pickoff prism as well. Never the less there will be even more options in the near future me thinks....anyone for -60 and AO...... Ps the KAF 8300 is smaller then a APS sensor....just a thought.

Mark
Old 13-03-2010, 01:58 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

My reasoning regarding the Orion AO is that it is more expensive than the SX unit, it requires nearly twice the back-focus distance, its quite a bit larger, physically heavier and yet designed to do the same job. When it comes down to it, its a question of who you trust, and what you're willing to pay... Even if the performance was equal... Would you pay more for the Orion option than for the SX option? Also, I've seen results from the SX unit, I've not seen anything from the AO unit, nor have I heard from anyone who uses one...

The Orion one with a motorized OAG rotator seems like a good plan... Implementation is the key, and getting it all finished and in the market without adding 1k to the cost of the unit is important too..

Competition is always good.. the more AO units there are available to us, the better. I just think they should be appropriately priced... If SBIG can do the AO-8 for $795 USD, how does Orion justify $2250AUD for their AO unit?

As you say, -60c and AO is the goal, I'll just wait till I can get it in the most self contained way possible... Which I would imagine will be the STX-8300, STX CFW, STX-AO. Needing only the power and data lead for the camera, everything else plugging into the STX-8300 head, reducing cable clutter between the laptop and the mount, lessening the load on the USB etc
Old 13-03-2010, 02:08 PM
marki

Quote:

I just think they should be appropriately priced... If SBIG can do the AO-8 for $795 USD, how does Orion justify $2250AUD for their AO unit?
SBIG unit is only good for an SBIG camera (small market), both SX and orion are offering units for all types of brands. Still the retention of T2 fittings will always limit their usefulness. I was actually considering the SX FW and OAG at one time.

Mark
Old 13-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

I was wandering about the Orion AO (and the price), it seems like a very nice unit, with the the rotator, OAG and AO all built in, I dont know why this wasnt thought of years ago, seems obvious. Havent seen any user reports on the web at all (not that I looked for them, just in passing). The BF distance/weight of seperate MOAG, AO8 and rotator is probably more than the Orion?.
Old 13-03-2010, 02:22 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

AO8/MOAG/Rotator are probably heavier than the Orion unit, and definitely has more backfocus requirement... but as Marki said, the AO8 setup can only be used on SBIG cameras, so comparing them isn't really worth while..

It is a good setup, all in one. I just wont put any faith in it until I've seen results. The SX unit has been tried and tested. As has the SBIG setups. As you say - no word on the orion AO at all, aside from marketing literature..
Old 13-03-2010, 03:10 PM
marki

The version with the rotator is not going to be released until may I think. I read the backfocus requirement was about 60mm.

Mark