Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Star Hunter

Orion SSAG: Need settings for 100cm g/scope.

I've got one of these doova-lackyees and need to know what settings I could start with when using a g/scope of 1000mm F/L.

Ta,

SH
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 AM
TanjaC (Tanja)

Ssag

I'm assuming you're using PHD to guide? The settings are pretty much okay to use standard. I've attached a screen cap I use for setting on a 50mm Guide Scope, guiding a 650mm focal length. Works well for me.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 8.28.27 PM.png)
75.2 KB21 views
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I use a 900mm fl guidescope, and had to radically adjust the PHD settings for the SSG - agressiveness to 120, and calibration steps to 600. Otherwise, it just gave up guiding after about 2 minutes.

With SHORT FL, "out of the box" settings work perfectly for it - like through the Orion mini guider (but watch the eggy stars, thanks to the so-so optics and field curvature of those little mongrels).

My images improved SIGNIFICANTLY when I went to SOLID mounted guidescope (no guider rings = no flexure), and a good guide scope with good field correction. No more SLIGHT eggyness. Yes, more headaches finding an in-field star, but upgrading to a Lodestar autoguider solved that (the SSG is NOT very sensitive)