Old 19-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Did I make a mistake with an SDCARD?

Having a Canon 500D camera is great, but..............

So, it works like this. I can take pictures and movies with a brand new San Disk class 10 8 gig (extreme SD) chip in the 500D. I can display/move/copy pictures to my HDD fine.
But it comes to moving/viewing vids, it just collapses in a heap and locks up. The vid does work, albeit for 5 seconds then locks up.

I have even tried the camera as a chip reader and it fails too. The chip reader I have is near brand new from Teds Camera store (go figure).

I have just bought a class10 SD card, purely for the concept of HD movie (1920)
Now I also have had the class 2 - 4 gig and 8 gig chips working perfectly.
They are fine with photo's etc.
The class 2 chips, do capture vids, but I have to decrease the size down to the lowest resolution and have no sound, to get an approx 50 sec vid.

But when it comes to movies at higher better quality, the chip speed isn't ample. So I did some research. The 500D needs atleast class 6 for HD recording.
So, went out yesterday and looked for somehwat of class 6 and above.
3 stores could only give me class 4, including DSE (pffft).

So my last resort was Teds Camera. "Ahhh yes, we have them", so I decided on an 8 gig one-class 10, as I just didn't need the 16gb yet.
But the class was different for the 16 (class 8)
Same brand and packaging (SanDisk Extreme), just double the data just a tad smaller on the speed.
Didn't really want the class 10, but thought that it might "futureproof" me a bit longer. Did I just do myself in?

How do get data (movies) off a class 10 chip? The reader is about 3 months old and so is the camera. Neither avenue worked.
I can play the vid on the camera and on the PC for 5 secs (quicktime), just can't get the file to move or copy.
The file sizes that I am trying to copy over is about 25 MB, which is doing my head in.

Old 19-09-2010, 02:14 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
I can display/move/copy pictures to my HDD fine.
But it comes to moving/viewing vids, it just collapses in a heap and locks up.
Brett, something sounds a bit odd here, you first say you can display, copy, move files to your HDD fine but then when moving vids it collapses in a heap.

I assume you mean you can copy/move/display image files but not the .mov files.

If the problem is identical when reading from the camera and card reader then it's unlikely both are at fault.

The onlu thing I can think of is to try moving the .MOV file from the camera via the USB I/F to another machine. It could possibly also be your anti-virus or spyware checker causing the problem.
Old 19-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
I assume you mean you can copy/move/display image files but not the .mov files.
It see's the .mov's, it can run the .mov's (5 sec) and it will start to move the .mov files, as in 1/3 has transferred. At that point it locks up, error message pops up as says something that there is no data?? (windows error message)
Windows explorer locks up completely and is unusable. Have to start another session. Tried reboot after reboot, no avail.
The only thing that I can get anything close to the issue, if at all it's related, is that the card reader was too old for these high end cards (class 10).
I have an older car reader at work, maybe a few years old, it reads class 2 chips fine up to 4gb. 8gb is no good, it reads it, but locks up when displaying data, it's too much data for it, and this issue I am having is giving me about 90% of the same issue as with work's card reader.
Though the newer card reader does read 8gb chips.

Quote:
If the problem is identical when reading from the camera and card reader then it's unlikely both are at fault.
That's what I had been thinking, but wasn't sure. How can 2 near new devices fail at the same time? LoL, the chances...........

Quote:
The onlu thing I can think of is to try moving the .MOV file from the camera via the USB I/F to another machine. It could possibly also be your anti-virus or spyware checker causing the problem.
Going to try that now. See how it goes. Have a laptop with an inbuilt reader

EDIT: Tried in the laptop. Laptop read the card, loaded a 26mb .mov file, no problem, loaded up ran for 5 seconds and locked up.
Can't close explorer, can't close quicktime, had to a major reboot again. That was using vista, PC had xp.
Both machines had the latest quicktime.
The last line of defence, now is to turn off antivirus, as a pure guess (your suggestion).
Failing that, might try a low end vid to see if it's the camera's encoding changes it's issue of lockups.

Last edited by Spanrz; 19-09-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Info
Old 19-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Tried another video, with it's lowest resolution and sound.
Recorded fine. Shows up as data on windows explorer.

Double click the file, quicktime loads up and plays the vid, but again, only loads 5 seconds and continues to lockup.
Tried to move/copy the file off the card, still no luck.

It's like the card will let me do everything with 8mb files but anything over, is locked.
Conspiracy! LOL!

EDIT:
It looks like it's a card based or camera writing issue. Not even the camera can handle the vids. All from low end resolution (640) to high end HD (1920).
It consistently locks up around the 5 second mark on each vid. 3 vids of 10 seconds.
I've even tried 3 formats.
Original format before any file was put on the chip. Another format, then a low level format, neither did anything to fix the problem.

I may have to buy a class 6 to see if that works. As this ain't cutting the mustard. $80 bucks down the drain

Last edited by Spanrz; 19-09-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Old 19-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Experimentation.

Found out that the 500D doesn't like 8gb (class 2 or class 10) chips for movies.

Tested with class 2 - 2gb/4gb/8gb and class 10 - 8gb

The 2gb and 4gb chips recorded 1920 movies fine, over 10 seconds without a hitch, but the memory rate (dump rate) was getting close to having the vid turned off.
As soon as I used the 8gb class 2 chip, the movie file worked fine for 10 seconds and for some reason, it couldn't dump the data anymore, so it stopped the vid. Research shows as stated before, class 2 isn't great for vids and may have the vid cutoff early due to data speed dump rate. But all files were able to be used. None were corrupted.

Using 8gb class 10, it makes the vid without a problem, but I can't use the data as it's like it corrupted the data???

So, 8gb chips (sandisk), seems to have an issue with the 500D movies. Photos are fine, just movies are an issue.... Bugger.
Old 20-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Looks like I either had a dodgy card or the 500D can't handle class 10 cards. Weird.
Took it back where I bought it, basically exchanged it for a 16gb class 4 chip. Worked fine.
All good.
Old 20-09-2010, 06:59 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Interesting, I did read somewhere that Sandisk Ultra II cards (Class 4 I believe) were plenty fast enough for HD video on the 500D. No great loss you can get much larger cards for your dollar at that spec.
Old 20-09-2010, 08:24 PM
allan gould

Bought a sandisk class 6, 16 Mb chip and it has no problems with .mov files of 750Mb at all. Cost $50 from eBay.