Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Rob_K

Observation report, 8 October 2007

Just back from attending the first SCP astronomy camp, held at Silverton NSW, 5-8 October. This report is from the last night, 8 October 2007:

The skies cleared, but a fairly stiff wind blew. Later in the evening it moderated a little & Graeme decided to set up his 11” Celestron SCT (using Pentax EPs, I think). Dennis & I followed him out and soon we were touring the night sky with the GOTO. Lots of interesting stuff – M31 Andromeda galaxy, Trifid nebula, Lagoon nebula, M33 spiral galaxy, Veil nebula, M22 globular cluster, 47Tuc globular cluster, NGC253 Sculptor galaxy, Dumbbell nebula, NGC7006 tiny 10.6 mag globular, NGC6231 open cluster, Grus quartet and much, much more. While this was going on I viewed the odd object through my scope, including the Andromeda galaxy and the “triple treat” in Corona Australis, shown to me on Saturday night. This is a globular cluster, a reflection nebula, and a “jet”, all fitting comfortably in the FOV. Dennis called it a night as he had a long trip ahead of him, and Graeme decided to pack up too.

Inspired by all this, I retreated to the cabin to consult my charts. Quick cup of coffee and I was outside again, firing up the trusty Tasco 4.5” f8 reflector again. Using a 21mm X-Cel eyepiece, I hunted down some galaxies I hadn’t seen before in this scope. First up, NGC253 in Sculptor. Wow, so big and bright even with my small aperture. More work sorting out positions, then on to M55. Brilliant – huge, edge-on and nearly as large & bright as 253. Then to Fornax – saw Fornax A easily, although tiny after what I’d just seen! Much fainter galaxy close to it. Then onwards to Grus – three small galaxies easily visible, plus one extremely faint (or did I imagine it?). Went to M33, visible as a largish, faint patch of nebulosity. Intent staring revealed just a hint of structure.

Well, finished up re-visiting Andromeda, with its 2 companion galaxies clearly visible. Their apparent detachment from the visible part of the galaxy makes you realise just how big M31 is, when you think of the long-exposure images. Then a quick look at the Great Nebula in Orion (stunning as always), and the Flame Nebula. I’ve seen the Flame quite clearly in my scope before in really dark skies from home, but this time it was only barely there and very, very hard to make out (probably a bit too low to the horizon, because the skies at Silverton were pretty awesome on the night). Off to bed then for a nap - set my alarm to try to image the crescent moon. Slept through & missed it, but hey, I was happy!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

. . . and a fine write-up it is, Rob.

Good times huh!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

Nice stuff. I have to get my scope out of Melbourne.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:02 PM
§AB
Its only a column of dust

exactly. we need to get away from this disgraceful sub-arctic weather
Old 13-10-2007, 06:42 AM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Yeah you could give NQld a go .

This time of year we got thunder storms etc, with a overnight lows of about 24 deg and day time highs of about 32 with a humidity of 92% .

Even when the sky is clear between storms you can't keep the dew off anything. .

Weather has to be the most frustrating thing about astronomy by far. Mind you winter we get fantastic conditions and skys.
Old 13-10-2007, 09:58 AM
§AB

lol 24 at night with 92% humidity is just asking for shocking transparency! You must hate the wet season! Atleast here we are going into prograssively better and drier weather. Even down here, sometimes we get spells of tropical weather in summer with a full week of cloud, rain and 30ºC with 90% humidity. Last Jan and Feb we had an almost constant influx of tropical air from Queensland!

Just imagine observing from Silverton on a clear, still winter's night.....WOW!

I've spent a couple of summers in Renmark and the skies were incredible. Has anyone ever seen the flame Nebula, complete with fur tree shape and dark lanes in an unfiltered 4.5" scope?
Old 13-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Has anyone ever seen the flame Nebula, complete with fur tree shape and dark lanes in an unfiltered 4.5" scope?
Yep §AB. Mention it in the 1st post - best view with dark lanes & fir-tree shape was from home. It was just after rain and the sky cleared briefly to a jet black with stars burning like diamonds. Exceptional transparency, but it only lasted a short while before cloud came in again. I've seen it a number of times in the 4.5", but that was the best. Usually, concentrating on the dark lanes is the key to viewing it - these seem to add definition to the, at best, extremely faint nebulosity. You have to put the bright star just outside the FOV too.

I've seen the Horsehead too - no, wait, that was in my dreams!

Cheers -
Old 13-10-2007, 11:28 AM
§AB

^^ yep thats true. Although to me it appeared quite obvious. I'm going to try with the 10" *if* (it's a question of if, NOT when!) the skies clear. I can see the reflection nebula NGC 1977 without much difficulty. I tried for the flame aswell but wasn't sure if I was looking in the right location.

The horsehead would be a viable target for me from those Renmark skies!

Last edited by §AB; 13-10-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 13-10-2007, 07:08 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Great report Rob, sounds like a good night !
I admire your tenacity using a 4.5 " Tasco, you must be tempted to upgrade to an 8" Dob or the like ?
Old 13-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
Great report Rob, sounds like a good night !
I admire your tenacity using a 4.5 " Tasco, you must be tempted to upgrade to an 8" Dob or the like ?
Thanks Ian! I've had the Tasco for a couple of years now and I love it. Bought it as an "upgrade" from a cheap plastic refractor, more or less an impulse buy based on nothing other than it looked big, black & shiny!

Have had the chance to look through lots of bigger scopes since, through our local observing group & at star parties, but to tell you the truth I prefer the views through the Tasco to those through commercial 8,10 & 12" dobs. Stars are bright & pinpoint against a very black background, not unlike the views through a small, good quality refractor (poor man's Tak?).

I like the wider field using a low power EP, and I have good dark skies where I live. So it's not so much what or how much I can see that interests me, but how I see it. And the thrill of the hunt etc - teasing faint objects out & all that. No aperture fever at all I'm afraid! I think if I "upgraded" again it would be for a good quality, small refractor, purely for imaging!

Cheers -
Old 14-10-2007, 07:22 AM
§AB

those 4.5" reflectors are damn good performers under dark skies. I just wish I had an Orion Shorttube 120mm F/5 refractor for when I get under dark skies. Must be amazing sweeping the Milkyway with one of those.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Great write up Rob GO TASCO!!!!!! Wish I had been there, sounded like fun. Maybe next time hey...