Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-04-2014, 04:58 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

solution required for centre spot.

Hi all.
I have a catseye template and centre spot on the way and wondered what other people have used to remove the center doughnut off the mirror surface. Catseye state using isopropyl and go as far as using Acetone. Are there other solutions that work as well as those?
Old 25-04-2014, 07:58 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Removing an existing center spot can be tricky. It's easy to start removing the glue and then start spreading it around over an ever increasing area. Isopropyl and acetone are not normally denatured (I'm not talking about isopropyl "rubbing alcohol"). These act quickly and leave none of their own impurities. Pure isopropyl can be found even at Bunnings in little spray bottles for a few bucks. You'll find it where the metho and turps is (you can get a bottle of metho for medical purposes while you're there too ). Isopropyl is great as it is an excellent lens cleaner for eyepieces, which you can't do with acetone.
Old 25-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

I used a cotton bud soaked in turps to apply just enough solvent to soften and loosen the dot adhesive for mechanical removal, followed by a warm detergent/rainwater wash - didn't leave any residue or damage the surface, much to my relief.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks guys will be looking forward to getting the centre hotspot. Strange. I guess I just want to get this collimation as good as it can.