Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 23-10-2007, 06:40 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

How much to build an observatory?

Well the time has come. We've sold our house, were moving to the dark sky country and my lovely wife asked me this morning how much extra will we need to borrow to build my observatory

So how much did it cost U! I'd like desriptions, time lines, photos, did you build it yourself of have it built, construction materials etc etc, so I can make an informed decision. I know that there have been a few threads on building observatories so maybe the results and details can be distilled into this thread. Oh and post a link to your thread (either here or off site) if you have one on your observatory.

I'm not looking for a discussion on which is the better type of observatory, dome or slide off roof (I'm keen on a slider but I could be converted , I use a dome elsewhere and I'm not that wrapped on the chimney effect), or which material is more suited for building one out of, though I am interested in little learning experiences and serendipitous experiences. You know, those Eureka experiences.

So bring it on. If there is enough info generated we could make this a sticky thread for later reference for others in the same boat.
Old 23-10-2007, 07:02 AM
h0ughy (David)

Paul from my efforts of researching I have worked out I need between $3K-5K, and that covers the slab or floor construction and the structure. I have a pier, but that could double if I get a second one. I do recommend a pier from Steve Bain, they are built like the proverbial. If you go with a concrete/metal pier and a raised floor you could get one of those observatories like a pod etc. I must say that the observatory that Lee (Plasmodium ) has built has more than got my eye, it has some fantastic features and suits a sloping site.
Old 23-10-2007, 07:04 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Congratulations on the move Paul.

All I have to contribute is a couple of links.
http://fredsastro.googlepages.com/observatory

If you don't like being enclosed in a conventional dome, a clamshell design might suit better. I'm pretty sure that someone on this forum has a dome of similar design.
http://www.galactica360.com/photogallery.htm
Old 23-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Thumbs up My experience

Paul - I just built a ROR obs - I did stop counting costs half way , but it turned in around $3k I think, and took about 2 months - mainly weekends and a 6 day stretch of time off work. That was including a chunky concrete isolated pier, and used ply-clad stud walls, gable roof with colorbond roofing and also an alarm. For power I have used an extension lead I plug into a caravan/boat inlet on the wall, but will likely have her hardwired once we get some other work done in the yard.

I have kept a web page with construction details - link.

Link to my DIY thread here too.

Cloudynights also have a pretty active observatory forum - good info. A good link for heaps of amateur observatories is here too.

One thing I would change for Mk-II is to have the roof roll towards the computer/desk/etc end, that way you can partially roll off and dew-shield yourself!

If I had more space I would have made it larger, doubt it would inflate costs much though. But even at 2.1x2.4m it is roomy enough for 2, just watch out for the counterweight shaft (ouch).

Last edited by Lee; 23-10-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: fix grammar
Old 23-10-2007, 08:54 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I would have guessed at around the 3-4K mark, maybe less, depending on whether you can get some materials second hand or free. Don't forget that you'll want power and communications. If the distance is significant you may want to install a solar panel and inverter for power at additional cost, the Lan link is easy, if the cable distance is too far, or too difficult to install, I can give you a configuration and WAP specs for a budet setup that will run over several Kms for around $300-400.
Old 23-10-2007, 08:56 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Quote:
One thing I would change for Mk-II is to have the roof roll towards the computer/desk/etc end, that way you can partially roll off and dew-shield yourself!

If I had more space I would have made it larger, doubt it would inflate costs much though. But even at 2.1x2.4m it is roomy enough for 2, just watch out for the counterweight shaft (ouch).
These are the valuabel little gems that often get missed, thanks Lee. I know what you mean about size though. I was planning about 4 x 3 and my Sya asked me if that was going to be big enough.

Power is not a problem as the observatory will only be about 20 - 30 meters from the house and I plan for a wireless link to the observatory with the 9x6 shed on the block converted to a large office/games room
Old 23-10-2007, 10:38 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Suggest you split your budget into components:

1. Clearing land - checking drainage and firmness of footings, pruning trees etc
2. Slab, pier and wiring mains power ($300 - $1,500)
3. PC, UPS and/or line conditioners and network infrastructure
4. Dwelling (four walls and floor) for the size of observatory you wish ($300 - $800)
5. Roofing system - roll off, rotating dome and degree of automation you want etc (here's where you could spend $1K - $5K)
6. Heating, cooling, fridge, etc - how basic or comfortable a setting to you want?
7. Security system and insurance

Allocate $ per each major category of spend.
Old 23-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post

1. Clearing land - checking drainage and firmness of footings, pruning trees etc
4. Dwelling (four walls and floor) for the size of observatory you wish ($300 - $800)
5. Roofing system - roll off, rotating dome and degree of automation you want etc (here's where you could spend $1K - $5K)
6. Heating, cooling, fridge, etc - how basic or comfortable a setting to you want?

Using these headings for mine....
1. $0 (paid for in sweat)
2. Concrete $350, mixer hire $50, pier hardware/formworks etc $100 (plus more sweat!)
3. $500
4. Floor - $350, Walls incl. door - $1000
5. $750 including rails
6. lighting/power - $150
7. $200

also - paint/fasteners/sundries $400-500 (more than you think!) - choose a fairly standard screw size, use the same for most things, buy a box of 1000!

A hint for alarm systems - car alarms are a cheap/reliable alarm - generally come as a kit all inclusive, run from a 12V battery, so are good for setups without permanent 240V (or those with permanent power).... Easy to adapt to a shed/observatory too.

These prices are very approximate, wouldn't be too far off..... Watch out for hidden expenses, like impulse buys of all sorts whilst you are at Bunnings etc every day nearly! Panasonic cordless drills aren't cheap!
Old 23-10-2007, 11:42 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Good stuff Lee, thanks.
Old 23-10-2007, 12:20 PM
h0ughy (David)

LOL Lee is my hero, all I need is bravery to ask now
Old 23-10-2007, 08:53 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ok any other ideas/guestimates from other constructors?
Old 23-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I'll let you know when I build mine hopefully this summer.
Old 23-10-2007, 09:44 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

I'm only just starting to get quotes for my materials, Paul.

Mine will be huge though. A double obs about 3m x 9m.
Old 24-10-2007, 03:40 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post

For me...
1. Dingo hire required + fill (slight slope): $300
2. $1600
3. - I won't include this in my costing
4 & 5. $4,500 (custom built roll-off-roof 6x3m corrigated shed
6. Not heating or cooling other than white paint & PC fan - $100
7. Locks - $80ish
8. Electrician for 21 power points with power board, trip/safety switches, etc: $750
9. Carpet - second hand so free, but worth factoring in
10. Insulation and Lining for enclosed half - $800 - $1000

hmmm... ended up costing a bit ! ... but much of that was spread over many years. Shed and concrete was all it was for several years.
Old 24-10-2007, 03:50 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Mmmm..custom built roll-off rooooofff...
Old 24-10-2007, 09:24 PM
timelord (Al)

Gooday to all, I.m currently building my obs' using colorbond fencing material which works out to approx $120 per 2.4 metre X 1.8 metre panel including posts, its very strong vetically which is a great help when adding a roof--also has the advantage of easily changing the height of the walls by shortening the wall sheets to your desired height and if thats not enough its painted inside and out.
My obs' will measure 2.4 X 3.6 which works out to just under 10 square metres by the time I've added insulation, roof, floor etc I estimate approx 2K. Fitting out and wiring etc. will add to the final costs.
Al.
Old 24-10-2007, 09:31 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

What a great idea Al. Thanks for that. So many choices. I need to make a decision by tomorrow morning. Were off to see the bank manager.
Old 25-10-2007, 01:28 AM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Ok any other ideas/guestimates from other constructors?
G'Day Paul,
I built a flat roof OBS (like a doom but flat ) with a slide of hatch, cost well under $1500,if you send me your email address I'll send you a few photo's.
"nightsky at comcen dot com dot au"
Cheers
Arthur
Old 25-10-2007, 06:18 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Homework for you..
Old 25-10-2007, 06:22 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Now that site could get me in to trouble Phil

Thanks Arthur. pm on the way.