Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 13-11-2018, 10:57 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I'm pretty sure it was Rod Doig's 24" F3.7 that I had the privilege of spending a few hours with at Wiruna at an SPSP a few years ago and it was an amazing experience. Perfect clear dark skies at 1000m ASL, he let me use the scope by myself for a couple of hours and I had a ball. The views were like B&W versions of many of my images, I could see so much. The spiral structure in galaxies and the flarey extensions around the Dumbell Nebula M27 through an OIII filter were sensational..

You will love it

Mike
Old 13-11-2018, 12:12 PM
m11 (Mel)

Thats what I enjoy with this hobby is the experiences you remember, especially with others. Never gets dull or boring.

Sounds like an amazing night with an equally amazing scope.

I seriously cant wait. Its definetely going to be an experience changer for me.

M11
Old 13-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Awesome.... Where do you store your current lot though? I'm having trouble finding homes for an 8" dob and an ED80!
Old 13-11-2018, 03:17 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Lee,

Lol, I have taken up the better part of my family room in which the wife complains about all the legs sticking out from the tarp. It gives me easy access to roll and carry scopes out to the back via a large sliding door.

I am though running out of space and have stuff stashed at a few friends houses as well.

Would love a large shed with seperate pods to house the gear though in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Awesome.... Where do you store your current lot though? I'm having trouble finding homes for an 8" dob and an ED80!
Old 13-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Lol, I have taken up the better part of my family room in which the wife complains about all the legs sticking out from the tarp. ....

Would love a large shed with seperate pods to house the gear though in the country.
Haha! I should rephrase my first comment - I should have said "I'm having trouble finding homes that my wife finds acceptable for an 8" Dob and an ED80!".....
I started by stashing stuff in my obs, but then it just gets too crowded in there.... I need to clear some other hobby detritus from my garage and promote the scopes.....
A large shed.... in the country..... We can dream!
Old 13-11-2018, 04:53 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Haha! I should rephrase my first comment - I should have said "I'm having trouble finding homes that my wife finds acceptable for an 8" Dob and an ED80!".....
I started by stashing stuff in my obs, but then it just gets too crowded in there.... I need to clear some other hobby detritus from my garage and promote the scopes.....
A large shed.... in the country..... We can dream!

Lol, yah. Scopes do take space and even more so if you want.to set them up for easy access.

At least you have an observatory
Old 14-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Allan

Congratulations Mel, that will be a world class 24” telescope. Carl finished my 16” f/4 quartz last week and I bring it home on a work trip in a couple of weeks. Then Pete will make me a baby SDM next year for delivery and first light at our SDM Star Party in April.

I tried very hard to get Carl to Australia for the star party, but he has a few issues he is working through. As a pending owner, you get a ticket to the SDM party if you’re interested. Drop me a PM.
Old 14-11-2018, 03:26 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Allan,

Thanks for that.

I bet you are super excited with the upcoming scope? Do you have the 32" scope as well?

Much appreciated with the invite. I reckon it would be an awesome star party, one of a kind. I would love to come but the wife will probably kill me if I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Congratulations Mel, that will be a world class 24” telescope. Carl finished my 16” f/4 quartz last week and I bring it home on a work trip in a couple of weeks. Then Pete will make me a baby SDM next year for delivery and first light at our SDM Star Party in April.

I tried very hard to get Carl to Australia for the star party, but he has a few issues he is working through. As a pending owner, you get a ticket to the SDM party if you’re interested. Drop me a PM.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:17 AM
Paul Haese

There is a chap in ASSA who got an SDM with 24" Zambuto mirror. The views are refractor like but way much brighter. He waited many many months though. You will not regret the decision.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Hi All,

Finally pulled the trigger and have begun the process of ordering my SDM scope. It will have a Carl Zambuto 24inch F/4 mirror.
Carl and Pete have been great to deal with. They have really gone out of there way to help me out.
It will be a bit of wait for the scope due to the mirror but I think it will be worth it

M11
That will be a fine instrument, Pete's work on the scope structure is beautiful and I am sure the mirror won't disappoint either.
Old 26-11-2018, 10:54 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Paul,

If its the same chap I am thinking, he has been in contact with me. Awesome guy and very generous with his knowledge, time and experiences.

Should be amazing views from what people have mentioned.
Glad the views were awesome. Would be awesome to have access to view now.

Yep, definetly happy to wait. Always wanted a Zambuto mirror and the largest one Carl would make. I feel privileged as Carl does not want to make larger than 20" these days.

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
There is a chap in ASSA who got an SDM with 24" Zambuto mirror. The views are refractor like but way much brighter. He waited many many months though. You will not regret the decision.
Old 26-11-2018, 10:57 AM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
That will be a fine instrument, Pete's work on the scope structure is beautiful and I am sure the mirror won't disappoint either.
Thanks Matt.

Definetely looking forwards to the scope coming together. Its going to take some time but it will it well worth it

M11
Old 20-09-2021, 04:04 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi All,

Its been awhile but my 24inch f/4 CZ quartz mirror is ready and coated.

Pete has finished the build for the SDM scope as well.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...-90-is-coming/

Depending on the Vic Covid roadmap -delivery for early November.
I am super excited for it to finally come together and arrive nearly 3 years exactly when I ordered both mirror and scope.

Mel
Old 20-09-2021, 04:38 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Woohoo! Now you just need to be allowed to leave your house....
Old 20-09-2021, 05:28 PM
Derek Klepp

That’s great .It will definitely be worth the wait look forward to first light reviews.
Cheers Derek
Old 20-09-2021, 05:35 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Hi All,

Its been awhile but my 24inch f/4 CZ quartz mirror is ready and coated.

Pete has finished the build for the SDM scope as well.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...-90-is-coming/

Depending on the Vic Covid roadmap -delivery for early November.
I am super excited for it to finally come together and arrive nearly 3 years exactly when I ordered both mirror and scope.

Mel
Congratulations Mel,

The wait will be worth it. Peter's Telescope Structures are as good as money can buy and between Carl and Mark Suchting you get the best of the mirror makers on the planet.

An Astronomers life doesn't get much better than a large aperture SDM with a Suchting or Zambuto mirror. I see you now have a whole family of them coming, after I suggested you grab that 14.5" SDM, which was an absolute steal BTW.

Cheers
John B
Old 20-09-2021, 05:39 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

How good is this.....taking possession of an SDM

Well done Mel.

Col...
Old 20-09-2021, 06:00 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Woohoo! Now you just need to be allowed to leave your house....
Thanks Patrick.

Yah thats the next thing to wait for and see. I am hoping to transport to a dark sky site as soon as I can to stretch the scope legs out.
Old 20-09-2021, 06:01 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
That’s great .It will definitely be worth the wait look forward to first light reviews.
Cheers Derek
Thanks Derek, I will definitely give a first light review and report back
Old 20-09-2021, 06:04 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Congratulations Mel,

The wait will be worth it. Peter's Telescope Structures are as good as money can buy and between Carl and Mark Suchting you get the best of the mirror makers on the planet.

An Astronomers life doesn't get much better than a large aperture SDM with a Suchting or Zambuto mirror. I see you now have a whole family of them coming, after I suggested you grab that 14.5" SDM, which was an absolute steal BTW.

Cheers
John B
Hi John, I can't agree more that is the case, I am loving the 14.5" SDM and thanks for the heads up on it. I thought I missed out on it originally but it worked out brilliantly.

Yah, we are so lucky to have Peter here to build all these wonderful scopes , its more the mirror makers available in Australia now.

I do like the SDM scopes so much I have a number of scopes on order with Pete that should keep him busy till 2025. Next is potentially a 30" scope range.

Thanks again,

Mel

Last edited by m11; 20-09-2021 at 06:16 PM.