Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Roll off roof automation-just the basics.

I am thinking I want to do a small level of automation so I can roll my roof off and power up/down my gear. I was thinking of using an IP camera to keep an eye on stuff and might do an all sky camera although at this stage I'm not able to throw a heap of dollars at it to fully automate and wanted to avoid scripting and ASCOM.

I've had a bit of a look at some other threads but was wondering if anyone had a list of the minimum amount of gear that would be needed, like internet switches, etc.

What are people using to roll the roof off, relays, switches,etc and that type of thing.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 29-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Still looking for some basic info like motors, gearboxes, control units, internet switches etc.

Anyone know of any automation threads? I though Paul Haese had one on here although I am struggling to find it.
Old 29-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Imme (Jon)

I’ll chime in...a complete beginner when it comes to electronics (well, basic knowledge).

I automated my obs power using a 8 channel USB relay (about $50). Basically I set my computer to allow ‘wake on lan’.
I created a local lan using an old router ($20 on eBay)
Put the USB relay in a box and wired 4xchannels to run 240v outlets which in turn run the various electrical items needed on the scope. I use two other channels to open/close roof.....and have 2 x spare for another imaging rig once I set it up.
Once I remotely turn on the computer I can then open the USB relay and then turn on the switches to power up.
I also use a USB webcam with night vision ability ($20 ebay) to monitor everything.

Works a treat
Old 29-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Jon,
Can you give some mechanical details of the motor/ drive used to open/close the roof.
I was thinking of a bicycle chain, geared motor.....my roof is 3mtr x 3 mtr.
Old 29-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Thanks for the reply on the relay. Interested on Merlin's question also.
Old 29-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Imme (Jon)

I didn’t set my roof up, however, the 9m x 6m roof is driven by a 0.25hp electric motor and stainless steel cable which wraps around a grooved pulley (for grip). Cable is attached to roof at either end...forward opens it, reverse close it. Gear reduction from drive pulley to motor means roof travels at around 0.2m a second.
Both open and close position sees a limit switch stop the motor. I’m no electronics expert but it appears a fairly simply relay system running it. I cut into the open/close switches circuits with my USB relay for control.......basically rather than pressing a button to close the circuit I click the relay remotely. I’ve put the power switch for the roof on a second of the relay switches which I use as an emergency stop if needed cuts power)

Here’s a video of it from a year or so ago the first time I got the roof working.... https://youtu.be/IfTshNIecfI
Old 30-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Bart.

Maybe look at these threads:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=108878&page=2

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a....php/f-43.html

and this:
http://interactiveastronomy.com/

Josh
Old 30-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Thanks Joshua, Paul Hases's thread was the one I was looking for.