Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 AM
jman17

Looking for good DC 12V powered USB3 hub

Hi,

I am looking for a good quality USB3 powered hub for astrophotography to power with a DC 12 Volt battery and am wondering if anyone can recommend one, preferable on ebay.com.au? I want to velcro it onto the bottom of my refractor and just run one cable to my laptop. I plan to plug in a guide camera, USB2EQ5 Shoestring cable, USB2 tethering cable for a DSLR and Polemaster USB cable into it. I want more ports than I need at the moment in case I need more in the future. I did find some that seemed good but they all didn't seem able to be powered from a DC12V battery so I thought someone may have one they would recommend. It would have to be Windows 10 compatible and obviously have good safety features. I plan to buy a 3 metre cable to go to my laptop too so is there any cable anyone can recommend?

jman17
Old 03-04-2018, 11:06 AM
glend (Glen)

I use an MBeat seven port powered hub, which has three USB2 and four USB 3 ports, and a USB3 cable to the laptop. It has individual port switches. I have it mounted by velcro to my tripod leg when at the dark site, and velcro mounted to my pier in the observatory. Excellent piece of gear, never any problems. However, it is powered by a 5V DC plug pack that converts from AC. In the field that means i carry a small inverter to run it off my battery, but i now have a DC-DC converter which i am going to use to step down from 12V to 5V DC. In the Obs it runs off AC of course,
Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I've got a few from mwave. You just have to wade through the usb hubs to find one that's 12V (and not 5V).