Old 28-02-2014, 03:36 PM
johnnyt123 (John)

Reprocessing Question..

Hi all...
this is an amateur question..but here it goes..

If you have already processed an HaLRGB image and it looks nice and you chose to take more luminance or Ha or even colour data at some point in the future, how do you go about adding that data into your already processed image?

do you have to start the process all form the beginning?? that is stacking the RAW .fits files with the new set of data and reprocess the entire image from scratch or is there a much simpler way of doing this?

Thanks for any help..

Johnny
Old 28-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

I do this sometimes. The trick is to keep in mind this possibility right at the start of any project. You dont have to start from scratch at all..

1st though, you mention RAW.fits. I dont understand. Are you using a OSC or mono cam, isnt QSI 683wsg-8 mono ?. RAW is generally for OSC DSLRs.
Old 28-02-2014, 05:08 PM
alpal

If the old & new frames can be re-stacked together
then the outcome will be better.
Old 28-02-2014, 05:22 PM
johnnyt123 (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
I do this sometimes. The trick is to keep in mind this possibility right at the start of any project. You dont have to start from scratch at all..

1st though, you mention RAW.fits. I dont understand. Are you using a OSC or mono cam, isnt QSI 683wsg-8 mono ?. RAW is generally for OSC DSLRs.
Sorry Bassnut.
I assumed that fits files are raw data.
The QSI 683wsg is mono CCD you are absolutely right.

Last edited by johnnyt123; 28-02-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 28-02-2014, 05:25 PM
johnnyt123 (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
If the old & new frames can be re-stacked together
then the outcome will be better.
Yeah i appreciate that but i was wondering if there was a more time efficient way of stacking the new data into the already processed files.
the reason why ask this is because every time i process a set of data over again they final outcome always looks somewhat different. No two ever look the same.
So there may be an outcome that i was happy with and i didnt want to start from scratch in fear of not achieving the same result again so maybe simply adding be data to the already processed picture would be a better alternative.
Old 28-02-2014, 06:46 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyt123 View Post
Yeah i appreciate that but i was wondering if there was a more time efficient way of stacking the new data into the already processed files.
the reason why ask this is because every time i process a set of data over again they final outcome always looks somewhat different. No two ever look the same.
So there may be an outcome that i was happy with and i didnt want to start from scratch in fear of not achieving the same result again so maybe simply adding be data to the already processed picture would be a better alternative.

You can make a new luminance file but basically you can't change the laws of physics.
The noise will be reduced by the square root of the number of frames stacked.
i.e.
100 frames = 1/10th the noise.