Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2018, 10:05 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_odonnell View Post
Thanks to all who came! What a phenomenal group of speakers and audience. It was so great to meet so many of you and Ice in Space's strongman Mike did not disappoint. Dr David Malin is also such a wonderful individual and his presentation on astrophotography ethics would have been especially interesting for the IIS crowd! He had many examples of what he did and didn't like and why (and didn't hold back!). I'm still overwhelmed by the response and overall vibe of the whole thing. Thanks for your support!

Dylan.
Wow....just arrived back home in frigid Canberra after being part of this thrilling event

What a wonderful festival/conference, so well put together and run, congratulations Dylan, a job very well done! The vibe was quite electrifying at times and all the speakers were thoroughly enjoyable. The venue was first class and absolutely beautiful to stay in, reminded me of Jurassic Park

I am so glad my presentation was well received too, coming in at the final hour not knowing 100% if what I was presenting would be what people wanted to hear or be worthy of understudy to the great and household name that is Terry Lovejoy...So it was very humbling and satisfying to hear all the comments of thanks and words of congratulations I received from so many of the high spirited attendees throughout the remainder of the festival - thanks a million to them all

I wish you well with Star Stuff III next year and thoroughly recommend this event to everyone, you would definitely not be disappointed should you attend

Doh!...my photo with Space Gandalf didn't come out

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (With John Sarkissian - Parkes Radio Telescope.jpg)
93.6 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (Mike at Star Stuff 2b.jpg)
122.4 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (With Fraser Cain - Universe Today.jpg)
77.7 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Mike at Star Stuff 2c.jpg)
121.6 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Speakers selfy.jpg)
129.3 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (David Malin and Mike.jpg)
192.0 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Greg Quicke Space Gandalf.jpg)
128.0 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (Elements Byron Bay.jpg)
127.0 KB30 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 09-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:44 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Your talk was fascinating Mike, even for a non-photography gumby like myself. Those early photos of your ingenuity and cunning with the dry ice, spare parts, etc, were great.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:52 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Had a blast volunteering on behalf of SAS, couldn't make most of the talks due to volunteer duty but what I did listen in on were fantastic. I agree that all the talkers were extremely approachable and friendly! Highlight for me probably would be the observing nights. Nothing beats seeing peoples reaction looking through an eyepiece for the first time!
Old 10-07-2018, 09:06 AM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Thanks guys! It's so cool to hear the speakers had as much fun as the audience. I'll drip feed what I'm allowed to of the talks when I can over the next few months. As recording wasn't my priority the sound isn't great but we did get most of the event on video and the videos will come out via youtube.com/erfmufn

Now back to reality for me ... accounts, google advertising and web development ... if you know anyone who wants a new website lemme know so I can work off this hole in my wallet .. partly Star Stuff related and partly because I left the event with a new observatory

(Damn show specials...)

d
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6316.jpg)
189.4 KB26 views
Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Yeah, I came home with an 8" dob the young bloke does not know about yet (For his birthday in two weeks)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Yeah, I came home with an 8" dob the young bloke does not know about yet (For his birthday in two weeks)
Nice one Paul, was that the 8" goto Skywatcher that was on display?

Mike
Old 10-07-2018, 09:20 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
... partly because I left the event with a new observatory

(Damn show specials...)

d
Nice work Dylan and already up in the backyard too! ...happy days (nights)

Mike
Old 10-07-2018, 09:25 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Your talk was fascinating Mike, even for a non-photography gumby like myself. Those early photos of your ingenuity and cunning with the dry ice, spare parts, etc, were great.
Thanks a lot Patrick John Sarkissians story had me absolutely riveted

Mike
Old 10-07-2018, 09:25 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Nice one Paul, was that the 8" goto Skywatcher that was on display?

Mike

Yep, After a bit of rummaging around to find someone who could get it home for me (We flew up) I decided the price was too good to walk past. I was considering a non goto for him but IMO if you can afford it the tracking is a very nice thing to have. More time observing, less time bumping things back into view.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Yep, After a bit of rummaging around to find someone who could get it home for me (We flew up) I decided the price was too good to walk past. I was considering a non goto for him, but IMO if you can afford it the tracking is a very nice thing to have, more time observing, less time bumping things back into view.
Absolutely agree and in fact a young man named Jacob who was at the event with his father asked me about a good beginners scope and I showed them and explained that one to them too, great value and a very capable scope for well under $1K including eyepieces and a laser colimator, you got a good buy there

Mike
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Fantastic job to Dylan and all the volunteers.

To get that opportunity to listen directly to the great speakers from Australia was again really cool. The last conference I attended was AAIC back in 2013.

And to be able to meet up Fraser, Amy and Geoff (Meteorite Man) up front.. really make the trip all the way from Malaysia a worthy one!

Did you recorded the talks? Would be wonderful to be able to view it all over again.

The 2 brief nights under the southern skies was refreshing! I under estimate the winter nights at Byran Bay though! brrrrr....

Just touched down back in KL this morning. Already looking forward for more!

Shah

Quote:
Thanks to all who came! What a phenomenal group of speakers and audience. It was so great to meet so many of you and Ice in Space's strongman Mike did not disappoint. Dr David Malin is also such a wonderful individual and his presentation on astrophotography ethics would have been especially interesting for the IIS crowd! He had many examples of what he did and didn't like and why (and didn't hold back!). I'm still overwhelmed by the response and overall vibe of the whole thing. Thanks for your support!

Dylan.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Absolutely agree and in fact a young man named Jacob who was at the event with his father asked me about a good beginners scope and I showed them and explained that one to them too, great value and a very capable scope for well under $1K including eyepieces and a laser colimator, you got a good buy there

Mike

Hah, I did not even notice it had a laser collimator in the kit, even better. It is currently jiggling it's way down inland in a trailer so if it was collimated before I am sure it won't be by the time I get my hands back on it so it will be handy to have. I will have to re teach myself, I have not collimated a newt since I was a teenager (Which is ahem, some years ago)

I would have bought it even if it was just bare with nothing else bar the finder and electronics for the goto. He could always borrow eyepieces from me.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Great to finally meet you Shah! You came a LONG way so I'm glad it was worth your while

I'll try to put up the sub-standard recordings on YouTube as I'm allowed to depending on permissions from speakers via youtube.com/erfmufn

Also we have a gallery of images from the event now on FB if you want to tag yourself : https://www.facebook.com/dylanodonne...0060718&type=3

The gallery is also on the old fashioned world wide web too : www.starstuff.com.au

d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahgazer View Post
Fantastic job to Dylan and all the volunteers.

To get that opportunity to listen directly to the great speakers from Australia was again really cool. The last conference I attended was AAIC back in 2013.

And to be able to meet up Fraser, Amy and Geoff (Meteorite Man) up front.. really make the trip all the way from Malaysia a worthy one!

Did you recorded the talks? Would be wonderful to be able to view it all over again.

The 2 brief nights under the southern skies was refreshing! I under estimate the winter nights at Byran Bay though! brrrrr....

Just touched down back in KL this morning. Already looking forward for more!

Shah