Old 27-08-2014, 10:03 AM
byronpaul (Paul)

Alistair,

come on mate .... commit

Heard from a few SV regulars that said skies are very good, but probably not quite Vic South. As long as weather plays the game, we should have damn good conditions

Location's pretty good and Rutherglen only 30min drive so I'll be doing a few wineries as well as I have to top up all my bulk fortifieds.

Visual and Imaging are set up in 2 different areas and the Caravan Park is 100% booked to the event.

All sounds great to me!!!!

Paul
Old 27-08-2014, 07:14 PM
The Unbeliever

Norm you have a way with words. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_nutt View Post
Hi Paul.
This is my 6th BSG, and it gets better each time. Lot of talks, and demo's by distinguished guests. Great food. A huge cosy fire pit in the main Hall to sit around and relax, or chat away. Lots of bargains to be had from astro suppliers and the like, and with any luck, wine! The trivia night is truly an experience!! A huge inclined observing field for those doing viewing or the tennis court for those into astrophotography. Add to this the friendly atmosphere by those attending makes it complete!
Cheers!
Old 27-08-2014, 07:17 PM
The Unbeliever

Hi Linda, still working on the program still have a guest speaker to confirm and a few minor things and I will forward it to guests. Cheers Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farscape View Post
Hi Dave

With Border getting closer, is there any details on the program yet???

Looking forward to some great viewing and the trivia night with surprises

See you soon
Linda
Old 27-08-2014, 07:21 PM
The Unbeliever

Hi Glen yep the park is now pet friendly. With regards to the lights we swap for red globes where we can and the managers generally disable a few lights that are on a timer. We do the best we can, and the observing field is in a good spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Considering attendance. I noticed on the caravan park website that they are pet friendly, is the event pet friendly (an old Lab with bad hips who can't be left at home).

Secondly, given that is it held at a caravan park, how do you avoid substantial light pollution? Is there some agreement with the park to have area and facility lighting turned off?
Old 27-08-2014, 07:22 PM
The Unbeliever

The best reading we have had is 6 magnitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
hi
I'm intrigued and might try and come, sounds interesting.
how dark are skies out there?

Cheers
Alistair
Old 23-09-2014, 06:50 PM
astro_nutt

Only 5 more weeks to go! Those thinking of going should book ASAP.
Old 29-09-2014, 10:08 PM
The Unbeliever

Hi Everyone,

Well we are nearly there! Only a few more weeks to go and we will all meet again at Border Stargaze. Today I have confirmed our guests Speakers:
Dr Stefan Kellar, ANU
Rebecca Allen, Swinburne University
Greg Gibbs, Astrophotographer, and
Roger Davis, Roger's Optic and Restorations
Miles Allen, Trivia night and...............

More info to follow
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM
The Unbeliever

Awesome I can now confirm that Peter Read SDM telescopes will be joining us for Border Stargaze.

This year I would like everyone to have a heads up on the theme of our trivia night and hope that you all get into the spririt (so to speak) of the proceedings... you can dress up, talk the lingo, regurgitate your favourite episode, character or just simply enjoy participating in the Dr Who themed trivia extravanganza!

If you haven't booked in already contact me at borderstargaze@iprimus.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unbeliever View Post
Hi Everyone,

Well we are nearly there! Only a few more weeks to go and we will all meet again at Border Stargaze. Today I have confirmed our guests Speakers:
Dr Stefan Kellar, ANU
Rebecca Allen, Swinburne University
Greg Gibbs, Astrophotographer, and
Roger Davis, Roger's Optic and Restorations
Miles Allen, Trivia night and...............

More info to follow
Old 27-10-2014, 10:22 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Another great time spent at BSG. Big thanks to David and Petra for juggling everything right to the finish line and organise once again a top notch event. Good skies, great fun, company and food. Looking forward to the next one. I encourage anyone to experience BSG. You're missing out.
Old 27-10-2014, 02:59 PM
astro_nutt

Ditto Marc. On behalf of my family and friends, we wish to thank David and Petra, Miles Allen, the ASAW, Brownie and Co, the good folk at The Great Aussie Holiday Park, plus all our friends. It was great to see you all again and will be back next year!
Old 27-10-2014, 07:36 PM
The Unbeliever

Hi Marc

The event this year is way up on my list! The weather wow the weather, never have I seen a BSG where everyone is still wearing t-shirts and shorts after midnight. Even the 3 minute rain was a welcome experience to a BSG event 'what would it be without a little rain'.

Seriously good fun, some serious observing and terrific company! BSG wouldn't be a success without the people that are there.

Thanks again...

Next year dates are 8th - 11th October there it's out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Another great time spent at BSG. Big thanks to David and Petra for juggling everything right to the finish line and organise once again a top notch event. Good skies, great fun, company and food. Looking forward to the next one. I encourage anyone to experience BSG. You're missing out.
Old 27-10-2014, 07:39 PM
The Unbeliever

Norm

BSG wouldn't be the same without you, your family and friends and all of the regular BSGers... The astrolabe that was simply incredible, your fine work is well regarded.

On behalf of those mentioned in your kind words below I thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_nutt View Post
Ditto Marc. On behalf of my family and friends, we wish to thank David and Petra, Miles Allen, the ASAW, Brownie and Co, the good folk at The Great Aussie Holiday Park, plus all our friends. It was great to see you all again and will be back next year!
Old 29-10-2014, 08:21 PM
The Unbeliever

Border Stargaze 2015

Well would you believe it, the dust hasn't settled on Border Stargaze and we have our first guest speaker for 2015!

Rebecca enjoyed her time with us so much that Prof Karl Glazebrook has agreed to be our keynote speaker for next year...

Miles, Geordie and April are planning the trivia night and... well you will just have to wait and see what we have in store for BSG 2015!

It just keeps getting better
Old 30-10-2014, 08:03 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

I had better add my own thanks to everyone involved in BSG 2014. Even though I am a member of the Astronomical Society of Albury Wodonga this was my first BSG and I enjoyed it greatly. It was an honor to be chosen as a guest speaker and I hope my ramblings on nightscape photography was not too boring. So huge thanks to Dave and Petra for all their hard work in organising and running the event; the other members of ASAW who helped out with running the event; Rebecca, Roger, and Peter for their talks; Brownie and crew for the catering; Wymah holiday park for the venue; Miles, Geordie and April for one of the most entertaining trivia nights I have ever been too (oh and Geordie- you can keep my fez because "fezzes are cool"), and last but not least all the attendees. Hope to see you all again next year along with heaps of new faces as well.

Have attached the group photo from Saturday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IISwebbsg2014group.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	172350

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unbeliever View Post
Well would you believe it, the dust hasn't settled on Border Stargaze and we have our first guest speaker for 2015!

Rebecca enjoyed her time with us so much that Prof Karl Glazebrook has agreed to be our keynote speaker for next year...

Miles, Geordie and April are planning the trivia night and... well you will just have to wait and see what we have in store for BSG 2015!

It just keeps getting better
Sounds great. Can't wait for the next one already.
Old 31-10-2014, 09:46 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapturingTheNight View Post
Have attached the group photo from Saturday.
Good stuff. Do you have a highres Greg, and can we repost?
Old 31-10-2014, 06:44 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Good stuff. Do you have a highres Greg, and can we repost?
Absolutely, please feel free to share or use as you please Marc.

Have uploaded the full size jpeg to Sendspace and can be downloaded at the following link:https://www.sendspace.com/file/ctuptg
Just make sure you click the "click here to start download from sendspace" button, and not the numerous "download" ads. (Link will expire in a few days so best to grab it as soon as possible)

Cheers
Old 31-10-2014, 06:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapturingTheNight View Post
Absolutely, please feel free to share or use as you please Marc.

Have uploaded the full size jpeg to Sendspace and can be downloaded at the following link:https://www.sendspace.com/file/ctuptg
Just make sure you click the "click here to start download from sendspace" button, and not the numerous "download" ads. (Link will expire in a few days so best to grab it as soon as possible)

Cheers
Cool - downloaded
Old 27-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Good to see some of you there. Unfortunately I ended up sick and travelled home on Saturday Morning only to end up in hospital for the week. I did have a few days there before the weekend which proved to be a nice break.
Thanks to David and Petra and hopefully I will see you there next year.