Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2015, 10:26 PM
mjfitzhenry (Matthew)

USB-A to USB-B cord

Can anyone tell me the difference between a black corded USB-A to USB-B cable and a grey one? I've been having communication issues with my two cameras (Orion Starshoot autoguider with PHD & Atik 314L+ etc). I have trouble with the black ones, but the grey ones work beautifully. The Atik comes with the grey and I had a really old grey one.
Matt
Old 28-07-2015, 05:43 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Internal sheilding, pair twist rate, wire gauge and quality, insulation thickness, crosstalk. At the low signals levels USB works at it can be any number of quite small differences that will degrade a signal.
Old 30-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Garbz (Chris)

That isn't related to the colour of the cable though.

It sounds like you have some crappy cables, or one of the devices on either end is on the very limits of the USB spec and is being pushed over the edge by something.

As a matter of interest do you use a USB hub? I have yet to see a cheap USB hub that meets the electrical and signalling specs for USB. It is borderline not possible to do on a dual sided circuitboard used in these devices. It could be causing you a lot of grief.