Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 16-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Fascinating. So, assuming that the gas cloud has some of the heavier elements, it could be a newborn CG of Population I stars. I looked up the wikipedia entry on R136 because you peaked my interest. I particularly found the following passage interesting;

"R136 produces most of the energy that makes the Tarantula Nebula visible. The estimated mass of the cluster is 450,000 solar masses, suggesting it may become a globular cluster in the future. [...] The cluster R136 contains many of the most massive and luminous stars known, including R136a1. Within the central 5 parsecs there are 32 of the hottest type O stars (O2.0–3.5), 40 other O stars, and 12 Wolf-Rayet stars, mostly of the extremely luminous WNh type. Within 150 parsecs there are a further 325 O stars and 19 Wolf-Rayet stars."

Markus
Maybe it is 2 million years old? Trying to remember back a few years so my globular cluster research

The same thing is happening at the centre of M42 where the trapezium is what lights up near all of the Orion Nebula.
Old 17-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Steve Pattie (Steve Pattie)

Hi Allan,

There are detailed charts of the LMC and SMC by Paul Hodge and Frances Wright. Both are now unfortunately hard to get hold of and are rarely available second hand.
I've been meaning to scan my copies but haven't gotten around to it due to the large number of charts (SMC has 72 charts, LMC has 81 charts) and that you need an A3 scanner for the chart size.
If you can get hold of them through a library, then you may find that you have too many objects. LOL

Steve
Old 17-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Allan

Thanks Steve, I will have a look around for that reference.

I just ordered the book 'Star Clusters'. It is 500 pages dedicated specifically to all the open and globular clusters. The two authors were inspired to write the book due to their frustration at the mis-classification of so many clusters. Sounds familiar.
Old 19-10-2016, 07:10 PM
jamespierce (James)

I have the Hodge charts - SMC and LMC - and have digitized the central portion to print on water proof paper for field use. I wonder when copyright issues expire for something out of date like this, or if the authors care (unlikely to get a re-print now)... Their plates and annotations have yet to be bested for detail. Classification of the objects is another issue.
Old 21-10-2016, 07:13 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
I have the Hodge charts - SMC and LMC - and have digitized the central portion to print on water proof paper for field use.
Are you planning on bringing those with you next Friday James?

Cheers
John B
Old 21-10-2016, 07:15 PM
jamespierce (James)

I will bring the atlases and the digital versions certainly... waiting to see if the printers have time to run the waterproof paper as a favour before then. It is magalenic cloud season after all.
Old 22-10-2016, 09:55 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
I will bring the atlases and the digital versions certainly... waiting to see if the printers have time to run the waterproof paper as a favour before then. It is magalenic cloud season after all.
Sounds good. I haven't used the Hodge & Wright Charts only Mattie Morels. I am sure our American Visitors can get some good use out of them.

Cheers
John B