Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2016, 02:05 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Nexstar Evolution 8 - what a package!

Just wanted to say what a revelation the Celestron Nexstar Evolution is. I picked one up on the weekend after a heap of research, as a good quality larger travelling scope. Up to now my daughter and I have been using a little 5” tabletop Dob and binoculars on a tripod and they have taught us heaps about navigating the night sky. However, we wanted something with more grunt that we could put in the back of the car to head to dark places. My initial idea was a 6” dob, but it was clear this wouldn’t be a portable option. Started looking at Schmidt-Cassegrains and this brought us to thinking GoTo capability was also a good option for us. I was so close to buying a Nexstar 6 or 8SE when I found out about the Evolution.

We got an Evolution 8 and the ability for my daughter to control the scope from her tablet, and the ability to really quickly find targets, made it an absolute pleasure to use. My daughter (11) did the 3-star alignment and within about 5 minutes we were looking at Saturn in even greater glory than before; and the Jewel Box through this thing is a revelation! This scope is pretty much perfect for us. No fiddling with batteries, quick setup, compact, and the app is a great source of info for kids about what you are looking at. She was beside herself with excitement.

And for me, the greatest thing is the GoTo and tracking. The number of times I’ve had something in the eyepiece to show the neighbours, or family members, only to have them nudge the scope or bump the table and lose it, or have to realign it every few minutes as the planet moves out of view…

smith
Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Nice report. I certainly like the look of these.